unlocking a core i3

so my friend ian recently contacted me that his i3 rig he built around the same time I was building mine. Is slow as heck for his video editing and battlefield 3 playing... he doesn't even want to think how awful the system will handle battlefield 4. Anyways he wants to unlock his mobo and processor... I told him he's nuts and he should of just been patient and waited till he had enough to buy a i5 for his rig.

specs of rig

Core i3 3220.3.3Ghz

4gb DDR3 1333Mhz

350 watt psu

gtx 650

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

so my friend ian recently contacted me that his i3 rig he built around the same time I was building mine. Is slow as heck for his video editing and battlefield 3 playing... he doesn't even want to think how awful the system will handle battlefield 4. Anyways he wants to unlock his mobo and processor... I told him he's nuts and he should of just been patient and waited till he had enough to buy a i5 for his rig.

specs of rig

Core i3 3220.3.3Ghz

4gb DDR3 1333Mhz

350 watt psu

gtx 650

getting an i3 you should know you won't be able to overclock. if it's too slow for his needs he needs to sell it and get an i5 "K" version for overclocking.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

It's not possible :p theres no such thing as "core unlocking" so to speak.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Thankyou for agreeing with me, hes a nutcase who things he can take a soldering iron and pop off the top of his i3 and go to town unlocking all the soldered off cores

will surely make a video of his stuipidity...

#KilledMyWife 

Thankyou for agreeing with me, hes a nutcase who things he can take a soldering iron and pop off the top of his i3 and go to town unlocking all the soldered off cores

Omg what?! ,_, that is the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Thats brilliant please post a video of his attempt to do that :P

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

so my friend ian recently contacted me that his i3 rig he built around the same time I was building mine. Is slow as heck for his video editing and battlefield 3 playing... he doesn't even want to think how awful the system will handle battlefield 4.

The poor gaming performance probably relates to the gtx 650.

The poor video editing performance probably relates to the 4GB of Ram.

The i3 3220 has plenty of power ...

Get more ram and a better graphics card!

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

It's not possible :P theres no such thing as "core unlocking" so to speak.

Actually there "was" core unlocking, the AM3 platform had the Phenom II chips where most of the chips were based off one die and binned accordingly, cores were disabled via software instead of fused off the die, a motherboard with the right feature set could override this and try to unlock the locked down cores, however then it was up to luck whether you got a boss chip for dirt cheap. the same thing happened with the 6000 series of gpus I believe where you could flash the bios of a lower model and end up with a top tier card. AMD and intel have wised up and have now fused cores and circuitry off the chip to prevent this. 

The poor gaming performance probably relates to the gtx 650.

The poor video editing performance probably relates to the 4GB of Ram.

The i3 3220 has plenty of power ...

Get more ram and a better graphics card!

Gaming is CPU intensive too especially on BF3, check here 

Video Editing involves A LOT on CPU, not RAM by much...

Actually there "was" core unlocking, the AM3 platform had the Phenom II chips where most of the chips were based off one die and binned accordingly, cores were disabled via software instead of fused off the die, a motherboard with the right feature set could override this and try to unlock the locked down cores, however then it was up to luck whether you got a boss chip for dirt cheap. the same thing happened with the 6000 series of gpus I believe where you could flash the bios of a lower model and end up with a top tier card. AMD and intel have wised up and have now fused cores and circuitry off the chip to prevent this. 

I know about AMD core unlocking but not for intel.

Make sure to post it on youtube with a catchy name, it just might go viral  :lol:. What do you mean by unlocking the motherboard? What is his motherboard? 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

An i3 3220 can be overclocked by up to 400mhz, but the multiplier will remain locked.

Really, thought they couldn't go much higher than 200MHz?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Make sure to post it on youtube with a catchy name, it just might go viral  :lol:. What do you mean by unlocking the motherboard? What is his motherboard? 

I honestly have no clue, its like an off brand type board...

time to rent the red dragon camcorder LOL he says he's doing it tonight during our lan party...

#KilledMyWife 

Tellhim there is 1 wire he needs to solder and that he needs to Pull the top off then if his stupid enough video it

he could always go old school and pin mod to change the multiplier dont know if u can on the modern cpus but ive done 775 dual cores

specs of rig

Core i3 3220.3.3Ghz

4gb DDR3 1333Mhz

350 watt psu

gtx 650

lol his cpu is fine, it'd help if he had around 8 gigs a ram and a higher wattage/better psu and a better gpu, he should pick up a 7870 or gtx 760, He really cant unlock the mobo or cpu, especially both.  Not worth the trouble

so it looks like he came to his senses, we all started playing modern warfare and his pc ran it fine...

#KilledMyWife 

• 2 years later...
On 7/31/2013 at 2:33 PM, LegendKillerRG said:

Gaming is CPU intensive too especially on BF3, check here 

Video Editing involves A LOT on CPU, not RAM by much...

Helloo...master professor...Gaming isn't so CPU intensive even in 2016. Battlefield 3 is inappropriate example for the impact of CPU in gaming. Battlefield 3 uses 4+ cores/threats, this doesn't means i3 3220 can't manage it.The role of CPU in gaming is mostly for physics and AI + managing the response, sending instructions to GPU to render the next frame and other different calculations. i3 3220 may only have issues in multiplayer with 64 players.

"Video Editing involves A LOT on CPU" - yes, but unless the data is loaded in RAM, the speed and size of RAM is involved A LOT too, master professor...