What is best for r9 380? i3 or 4.2 GHz G3258

Go to solution Solved by TheRetiredSlave,

I'd go i3. In both tomshardware's and Anandtech's reviews of the g3258 (OC'd), it only performs only a little better than an i3 in some very heavily single threaded games. The i3 can perform dramatically better in multithreaded tasks, and generally performs the same or better in games than an OC'd g3258.

The i3 is more expensive, but I'd consider it worth the money to have the guaranteed performance instead of needing to rely on overclocking luck. Use the stock cooler and an affordable motherboard, and you'll have a reasonably affordable good gaming PC.

Hey

What is the best cpu for the r9 380 in games? (Like battlefield, gta, bioshock etc) I am looking at the pentium and to get it @4.2, or a i3 with a lower clock, 2 cores but hyperthreading

What do you think/know?

Thanks in advance

i3 of course... but get an i5 if you can afford it.

i3. One from the i3-43xx series is recommended.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

i3 of course, mainly because newer games will require 4 cores as minimium specs

The 3258 oc will perform better, unless the game "requires" 4 cores.

I don't like saying it but with the trend of "requiring" 4 cores, an i3.

Or a 4440/4460 at $180 if you can stretch the budget

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The future is DX12 and vulkan. Going wide; like mantle did. Rather than relying on single threaded IPC.

I would get the i3

I'd go i3. In both tomshardware's and Anandtech's reviews of the g3258 (OC'd), it only performs only a little better than an i3 in some very heavily single threaded games. The i3 can perform dramatically better in multithreaded tasks, and generally performs the same or better in games than an OC'd g3258.

The i3 is more expensive, but I'd consider it worth the money to have the guaranteed performance instead of needing to rely on overclocking luck. Use the stock cooler and an affordable motherboard, and you'll have a reasonably affordable good gaming PC.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems