ddr3 and ddr4 on the same board

northern84

simultaniously or as soon as you plug in one ddr gen the other slots get disabled?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

simultaniously or as soon as you plug in one ddr gen the other slots get disabled?

im not sure to be honest, im assuming it works together or what would be the point, you make one with just ddr4

We've knows for months that the next gen of motherboards were likely to support both... How is this news? Oh and it's DDR3L btw, the article fails to mention this.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

im not sure to be honest, im assuming it works together or what would be the point, you make one with just ddr4

If it's anything like we've seen in the past, you will not be able to combine the two. You'll probably have to stick with either DDR4 or DDR3L

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

and what rules did I break?

If you read it, you'd know. :/

And if enough cpus support both, it won't surprise me if someone makes a motherboard with support for both ddr3 and ddr4, but unable to run them together. Asus did it with some LGA 775 boards with DDR2 and DDR3.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

If you read it, you'd know. :/

And if enough cpus support both, it won't surprise me if someone makes a motherboard with support for both ddr3 and ddr4, but unable to run them together. Asus did it with some LGA 775 boards with DDR2 and DDR3.

I also had AM2+ Asrock board that supported both DDR2 and 3

This has been done before. There are G41 boards that supported both DDR2 and DDR3. This is to be expected with a change like this.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

and what rules did I break?

Since you aren't bothered to read the link I gave which directed to the guidelines about posting in this section, allow me to quote:

Posting Guidelines:

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

My comments on your performance regarding your adherence to the guidelines:

-Point 1 you did barely.

-Point 2 is good.

-Point 3 is non-existent in your original post.

-Point 4 is good as well.

-Point 5 you could have taken the picture from the website to show the actual motherboard with the different slots, which would have made your post much more interesting, but you never bothered.

Posting just a link and expecting people to go read it is not what this section of the forum is all about. Go look at other threads to learn more about the effort that some of the other guys give in making news posts.

Source of the quote: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

how do they do that? doesn't the processor only support DDR4? It's not merely a question of pin placement

how do they do that? doesn't the processor only support DDR4? It's not merely a question of pin placement

Skylake supports both, but not at the same time. Some DDR3-only boards have already been announced iirc.

Biostar-Hi-Fi-B150Z5-932x867.jpg

I figured people might actually like to see said board...

IMHO this is a little stupid. Say you go LGA 1151 but can't afford DDR4, which is fine, but you're limited to two DDR3 sticks (once again, might be fine) BUT once you finally get cheap DDR4, you can only ever have two sticks, which may or may not be a deal breaker. So you might end ups pending more on a new board with 4 lots anyways. 

IMHO, just go whole hog on DDR4. 

SDRAM and DDR1 on the same board, DDR1 and DDR2 on the same board etc, this isn't really news at all as there are always motherboards designed to help people make a transition to a new platform.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This isn't worth it because you can't use them at the same time. It limits your max amount of memory. It will become an issue as we start to use more and more memory every day.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So only 2 sticks of ram at a time OK, so 8 or 16gb of ram at a time, no thanks!

That's for DDR3. The article states that you can have a maximum of 32 gigs of DDR4 memory