Intel Haswell 4670k + 4770K Overclocking guide

ProKoN

For asus board we need to input min and max cache ratio so we put 44 for min and 47 for max? Or we put 44 for both?

For asus board we need to input min and max cache ratio so we put 44 for min and 47 for max? Or we put 44 for both?

my friend has an asus board and i put 8 as the minimum for the cache ratio and 44 for the max so that the cache ratio downclocks to 800 mhz. make sure you set your core and cache voltages to adaptive by clicking "enter". in the max turbo offset box, input the core and cache voltages that you found stability with.

take a screenshot if you are not sure and i will review it

hope this helps

BigDay

for my 4.6ghz overclock

i set it up as min = 46, max 46

and it was stable for 12 hours

now for my 4.7 ghz in case i want my cache to be 4.6

i need to put min and max to 46? both 46?

thanks

for my 4.6ghz overclock

i set it up as min = 46, max 46

and it was stable for 12 hours

now for my 4.7 ghz in case i want my cache to be 4.6

i need to put min and max to 46? both 46?

thanks

if you are stress testing your core at 47 and your cache at 46, set your min cache to 46 and your max cache to 46 so that the ratio's stay static during testing. once you are finished testing and you are ready to set a 24/7 overclock, you can then lower the min cache ratio.

so yes, put both to 46

BigDay

Ok thanks I end up going back at 4.6ghz core because at 4.7 im getting crashes and hangs when running bemchmarks though I was 12 hours stable in stress test

Thanks bigday.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I could shed some insight based off of my experience overclocking the Intel 4770K. I will add literature as I go.

I have based the guide off a simple 4.4GHz Overclock. Your results will Vary

Intel Haswell Overclocking Database. This Database is Authored and maintained by @Dark_Wizzie. A highly regarded member of Overclock.net. Thank You

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjXDCk5eCp1gdEdENjlDYWl6ZnV4OVlNc0lMU1V3c1E&usp=sharing

Thanks a lot,I've been dialing in overclocks but my chip won't stable out, and came across this guide and the ring ratio being close to 1:1 helped.

Be sure to Submit your Highest Possible Cinebench Scores  here  This Database\Thread is Authored and maintained by @Jumper118. A highly regarded member of the LTT community  Thank You

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/62476-post-your-cinebench-r15-scores-and-new-r115-scores-now-included/

Once you have finalized your overclock and have a valid screenshot for 8hours or more of stress testing post your results here This Database\Thread is Authored and maintained by @MeltyMoon. A highly regarded member of the LTT community. Thank You

(protip - run cinebench r15 before you begin stress testing with any unnecessary applications closed)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/17646-ltt-forums-cpu-overclocking-database/

Begin By updating your bios and downloading and installing the Intel Extreme Tuning Utilityhttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Guides will include

- System Overview

-Overclocking your cpu and finding stability

-finding ring bus stability at a 1:1 (or as close as possible)

- Getting the best performance out of your memory

-Enabling Haswell Power saving features.

System Overview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNuxXEb-hgA

Part 1 : Overclocking your cpu, stress testing and finding stability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djcI1-ZW8a4

Part 2 : CPU Ring Bus Stability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5v4ssDPMj0

Part 3 : Memory Stability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F94Tgda5GPQ&feature=youtu.be

Part 4 : Enabling low power features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grtX3txVWp0

Any information I share is free, however if you would like to contribute to future projects \ guides or just show gratitude, Certainly not required..but. Thank You.

please support future content http://patreon.com/prokon

• 3 months later...

Hello, first post, great thread and info!!

I would like to ask a few questions but before I continue, does this thread include overclocking the 4790K?

Let's get to it.

I have been working on overclocks ranging from 4.5-4.9Ghz, not using this method, well mostly.

What I do is use xtu benchmark 5 times to get a rough guesstimate on volts I need, then raise accordingly. Then run ten benchmark runs in Realbench, then 25 loops of X264.

After looking around for other methodology of overclocking, I stumbled o to this thread.

My main question:

Is XTU good enough?

I am redoing my X47 clocks and I lowered Vcore to 1.2 and it seems to be going strong, BUT this Vcore would fail in X264 and Realbench.

X47/X40/XMP

1.205/1.15 pass no SS.

1.200/1.15 pass SS incoming

VCCIN 1.9 *test as per this thread* 1.705 usually

What are my goals: I can get to 4.8 @ 1.299 Vcore I want 4.9 and I can't seem to pass X264, I pass Realbench but not X264. Cause I tested yesterday and xtu was going for a few hours at 4.9Ghz...

I am trying to use this guide to lower volts and perhaps get a 1:1, starting at X47.

Edit:

Here are my screen shots of the run I just did now..

settings

4790k Delid H220x

x47 1.2 vc

x40 1.15 volts

Vccin 1.9

XMP 9-9-9-24 2t 1.5

Vdroop 100%

Power savings Disabled

No Adaptive

10192015x47XTUPASS%20-%20Copy_zpsvomby4b

Rig specs:

4790k Delid with H220X

MSI z97 Gaming 7

G Skill Ares 16Gb 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5 volts

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

EVGA 850G

snip

i would give xtu a shot and try to follow this guide or use my intel oc guide (link in my forum signature). make sure you follow the steps in both guides.

yes, you can use this thread to overclock the 4790k or use my guide. up to you. my guide is based on prokon's work

BigDay

i would give xtu a shot and try to follow this guide or use my intel oc guide (link in my forum signature). make sure you follow the steps in both guides.

yes, you can use this thread to overclock the 4790k or use my guide. up to you. my guide is based on prokon's work

How does my overclock look to you.

I was about to copy paste this to your thread till I saw you quoted me, thanks for that.

I actually kind of have a solid 4.8Ghz overclock, but my issue is going to the next multiplier.

I've tried raising VCCIN to max recommended *2.1-2.2*, I can pass 10 benchmark runs in Realbench, but if I try to use x264 v2.06 and insta-BSOD.

Settings for that:

From the top of my head.

1.41 vcore

1.20 Vring

1.90-1.950 VCCIN

Memory XMP 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz 1.5volts

Vdroop 100%

Power saving disable

Everything is "static/manual" mode

No adaptive mode for vcore.

Max temps for this particular setting in real bench is 88℃, I am fine with this , cause I know while game etc. It'll never get to those temps.

To add:

I know for a fact I can lower vcore for my 4.7Ghz screenie since XTU isn't as stressful as x264 or Realbench, would you suggest JUST sticking to XTU?

What I did with finding my 4.7Ghz overclock was started with my known stable setting and dropped vcore and I'm surprised I made it at 1.2 vcore, I usually run 1.205*25 passed of x264 stable*

I have some screenies of those.

Lol, also to add.

I can do 4.5Ghz at 1.10 vcore with Realbench benchmark 10 times as well... It's crazy I can't get to 4.9Ghz.

Thoughts?

post-269339-0-88251200-1445290491_thumb.

snip

i would try lowering your memory to default settings and then setting it to 1333 mhz before running any stability tests. this way, you can make sure that the memory is not having an affect on your cpu overclock

try running 4.9 ghz on the core at 1333 mhz on the memory and go from there. use xtu and use an 8 hour test

when you try and run a 4.9 overclock test, what is your cache ratio set to?

adjust one setting at at time per test

BigDay

i would try lowering your memory to default settings and then setting it to 1333 mhz before running any stability tests. this way, you can make sure that the memory is not having an affect on your cpu overclock

try running 4.9 ghz on the core at 1333 mhz on the memory and go from there. use xtu and use an 8 hour test

when you try and run a 4.9 overclock test, what is your cache ratio set to?

adjust one setting at at time per test

My cache ratio is 4000mhz 1.15 volts throughout my testing. But has been stock throughout.

I'll try when I get back home..

Does cache voltage scale up or stay?

My cache ratio is 4000mhz 1.15 volts throughout my testing. But has been stock throughout.

I'll try when I get back home..

Does cache voltage scale up or stay?

well, ideally, you want to have a 1:1 ratio between your core ratio and cache ratio. in order to get a higher cache ratio, you may need to increase the cache voltage or vring.

BigDay

well, ideally, you want to have a 1:1 ratio between your core ratio and cache ratio. in order to get a higher cache ratio, you may need to increase the cache voltage or vring.

Here is a SS of the run I'm doing now.

What cha think? I'm gonna wait till it's done, if it passes.

I'll post another in the morning.

1.35 for 4.9Ghz seems pretty decent...

Thoughts?

post-269339-0-13231800-1445308976_thumb.

Here is a SS of the run I'm doing now.

What cha think? I'm gonna wait till it's done, if it passes.

I'll post another in the morning.

1.35 for 4.9Ghz seems pretty decent...

Thoughts?

what kind of cpu do you have?

yes, 1.35v on the vcore for 4.9ghz on the core is good

what is your memory frequency set to while the stress test is running?

BigDay

what kind of cpu do you have?

yes, 1.35v on the vcore for 4.9ghz on the core is good

what is your memory frequency set to while the stress test is running?

4790k Delid

Memory is at 1333 auto 1.5 as per guide..

Also to add, 1.35 is blowing my mind atm, when I was looking for stable-ish settings this would fail hard.

I think if I made my fans max, it'll be hovering at 80℃.

I think this may be the max for my chip, I am fine with breaching the temp limits ONLY while stress testing.

After this passes what should I do next, lower vcore?

4790k Delid

Memory is at 1333 auto 1.5 as per guide..

Also to add, 1.35 is blowing my mind atm, when I was looking for stable-ish settings this would fail hard.

I think if I made my fans max, it'll be hovering at 80℃.

I think this may be the max for my chip, I am fine with breaching the temp limits ONLY while stress testing.

After this passes what should I do next, lower vcore?

before i give you any more suggestions, i need the following info on your settings that you're currently running this stress test at (confirm the settings that I already think you have):

core ratio = 49

vcore = 1.35v

cache ratio = 40

vring = ?

vrin or vccin or input voltage = ?

memory frequency = 1333 mhz

memory voltage = 1.5v

BigDay

before i give you any more suggestions, i need the following info on your settings that you're currently running this stress test at (confirm the settings that I already think you have):

core ratio = 49

vcore = 1.35v

cache ratio = 40

vring = ?

vrin or vccin or input voltage = ?

memory frequency = 1333 mhz

memory voltage = 1.5v

Vring is 1.2 default

VCCIN 1.9

Everything is as you put.

Edit: on the 7th hour...

Question:

Is XTU the stress test you guys use?

Have you also use the likes of Realbench?

Vring is 1.2 default

VCCIN 1.9

Everything is as you put.

Edit: on the 7th hour...

Question:

Is XTU the stress test you guys use?

Have you also use the likes of Realbench?

i'm only familiar with xtu

after you're done this test and you pass, i would try and increase the cache ratio; increase the vring if you need to (leave the core ratio at 49 and leave the vcore alone). move the cache ratio up to 41 at 1.20 vring. if you pass, go up to 42 on the cache ratio while leaving the vring at 1.20. only raise the vring if you don't pass. go from there. once you've found the highest cache ratio you can while adjusting the vring when necessary, move onto changing the memory back to 1600 mhz and re test to make sure your memory is stable and not an issue with your new core ratio and cache ratio.

make sense?

BigDay

i'm only familiar with xtu

after you're done this test and you pass, i would try and increase the cache ratio; increase the vring if you need to (leave the core ratio at 49 and leave the vcore alone). move the cache ratio up to 41 at 1.20 vring. if you pass, go up to 42 on the cache ratio while leaving the vring at 1.20. only raise the vring if you don't pass. go from there. once you've found the highest cache ratio you can while adjusting the vring when necessary, move onto changing the memory back to 1600 mhz and re test to make sure your memory is stable and not an issue with your new core ratio and cache ratio.

make sense?

Well I didn't make it..

BSOD..

So up vcore?

I've changed vcore to 1.37, should it be adaptive?

Settings:

1.37 vcore x47

1.20 vcore x40

1.90 vCCIN

1333mhz auto 1.5 volts

Vdroop 100%

Well I didn't make it..

BSOD..

So up vcore?

I've changed vcore to 1.37, should it be adaptive?

Settings:

1.37 vcore x47

1.20 vcore x40

1.90 vCCIN

1333mhz auto 1.5 volts

Vdroop 100%

wait a minute, i thought you were just stress testing at a core ratio of 49 with a vcore of 1.35v?

what were all of the settings you had set during the most recent stress test?

BigDay

wait a minute, i thought you were just stress testing at a core ratio of 49 with a vcore of 1.35v?

what were all of the settings you had set during the most recent stress test?

Lol, sorry was used to typing "x47x, yes core ratio is at x49...

Settings from before.

1.35 x49

Auto x40

1.9 vCCIN

1333mhz auto 1.5 volts

100% vdroop *should I change change this?*

No adaptive.

Settings now:

1.37 x49

1.20 x40 *bios*

1.90 vccin *bios*

100% vdroop

1333mhz auto 1.5v

Adaptive enable

Question:

Is adaptive really necessary for stress testing?

Vdroop should it be on auto or 100%?

Sorry about the confusion!!

Lol, sorry was used to typing "x47x, yes core ratio is at x49...

Settings from before.

1.35 x49

Auto x40

1.9 vCCIN

1333mhz auto 1.5 volts

100% vdroop *should I change change this?*

No adaptive.

Settings now:

1.37 x49

1.20 x40 *bios*

1.90 vccin *bios*

100% vdroop

1333mhz auto 1.5v

Adaptive enable

Question:

Is adaptive really necessary for stress testing?

Vdroop should it be on auto or 100%?

Sorry about the confusion!!

make sure your haswell power saving features are off. what is the setting called for vdroop? i can't remember...

if you failed at a core ratio of 49 at a vcore of 1.35v, bump the vcore up to 1.36v and re-test. leave everything else the same. remember, only change one setting at a time! if you fail at a vcore of 1.36v, increase it to 1.37v and re-test. monitor your temperatures. i would say an average temperature of 80-85 degrees is safe with a max temperature of 85 degrees

make sure you stress test on STATIC MODE for both your vcore and vring

don't change settings in XTU, change them in your bios

ideally, i'd like to have you set optimized defaults in your bios and then adjust your settings. which guide did you follow? mine or prokons?

BigDay

make sure your haswell power saving features are off. what is the setting called for vdroop? i can't remember...

if you failed at a core ratio of 49 at a vcore of 1.35v, bump the vcore up to 1.36v and re-test. leave everything else the same. remember, only change one setting at a time! if you fail at a vcore of 1.36v, increase it to 1.37v and re-test. monitor your temperatures. i would say an average temperature of 80-85 degrees is safe with a max temperature of 85 degrees

make sure you stress test on STATIC MODE for both your vcore and vring

don't change settings in XTU, change them in your bios

ideally, i'd like to have you set optimized defaults in your bios and then adjust your settings. which guide did you follow? mine or prokons?

I'm using prokons as yours is pretty much the same thing...

When should I stop increasing vcore 1.4 Or 1.45?

I'm using prokons as yours is pretty much the same thing...

When should I stop increasing vcore 1.4 Or 1.45?

stop increasing vcore when average temperature hits 85 or max temperature hits 85 degrees celsius

BigDay

stop increasing vcore when average temperature hits 85 or max temperature hits 85 degrees celsius

I see,when the time comes to get cache ratio up would temps be rising as well??

Also, with the cache ratio being tweaked, how much performance is there to be gained, roughly?

Maybe you can do me as well as others a favor, with your overclock now can you run 25 instances of x264 v2.06*roughly 1-3 hours I believe*. If you pass great, but note down temp differences, however if failed would using XTU strictly as per this guide mean it's insufficient?

Like stated before when I stress test I try and do 10 Realbench benchmark runs and 25 runs of x264 v2.06.

Test is found on OCN Haswell thread.

Thanks for your time and help.