Intel Haswell 4670k + 4770K Overclocking guide

ProKoN

thanks for guide and videos!

i'm having trouble getting to 4.4ghz. i have taken VCore all the way up to 1.32 and still crash as windows loads up or just a few seconds after the logon screen appears. i get the same results with Ring Bus on auto (38), 35, and 30. i have also tried VCCIN at 1.9 and 2.0. Ram is set to 1333 and 1.5v. i assume i just have a poor overclocking cpu.

i5 4670k

MSI Gaming GD65

16gb Viper III 2133

GTX 670 FTW's SLi

Win 8.1 (installed on SSD)

Hyper 212 Evo

all drivers/bios updated

Look's like you lost in sillicon lottery. Check if 4.3Ghz works with that voltage.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Look's like you lost in sillicon lottery. Check if 4.3Ghz works with that voltage.

after a loooooooong night of "tweaking" i finally hit 4.4ghz. i'm still running the IETU stress test to confirm stability. i had to bump Vcore to 1.37 and Ring Bus to match at 1.37 (38 ratio). i'm running on air (Hyper 212 evo), but my temps are excellent maxing out at 71c. the first page advises AGAINST going over 1.32 volts to hit 4.4. should i just try for 4.3 and with lower volts, or will 4.4 at 1.37 volts be ok with my temps?

thanks!

after a loooooooong night of "tweaking" i finally hit 4.4ghz. i'm still running the IETU stress test to confirm stability. i had to bump Vcore to 1.37 and Ring Bus to match at 1.37 (38 ratio). i'm running on air (Hyper 212 evo), but my temps are excellent maxing out at 71c. the first page advises AGAINST going over 1.32 volts to hit 4.4. should i just try for 4.3 and with lower volts, or will 4.4 at 1.37 volts be ok with my temps?

thanks!

Those temperatures are excellent. Many high-end coolers would not be able to hit 71°C with a lidded 4670K running at 1.37V. Are you sure those temperatures are accurate? Is that after an hour of stress testing? I'm hitting 72°C with a 240mm AIO radiator at 1.29V on my 4670K.

Edit: Remember that it's voltage that can decrease the lifespan of your CPU and create instability, not necessarily temperatures. If you don't intend to keep the same CPU for many years, 1.37V for a 4.4Ghz overclock is not that unreasonable. I personally don't think it is worth it, but many maintain that kind of voltage for a 4.7Ghz overclock, but stability is then harder to maintain over a longer period of time as the chip begins to leak voltage from degradation.

thanks!

the only reason it is not advised to surpass 1.32v for 4.4ghz is because the performance\watt is very inefficient

this is just my opinion. there is no reason you cant run 4.4ghz@ 1.37V.... thats totally fine, seems like you got a weak overclocker.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Those temperatures are excellent. Many high-end coolers would not be able to hit 71°C with a lidded 4670K running at 1.37V. Are you sure those temperatures are accurate? Is that after an hour of stress testing? I'm hitting 72°C with a 240mm AIO radiator at 1.29V on my 4670K.

Edit: Remember that it's voltage that can decrease the lifespan of your CPU and create instability, not necessarily temperatures. If you don't intend to keep the same CPU for many years, 1.37V for a 4.4Ghz overclock is not that unreasonable. I personally don't think it is worth it, but many maintain that kind of voltage for a 4.7Ghz overclock, but stability is then harder to maintain over a longer period of time as the chip begins to leak voltage from degradation.

temps verified with IETU and RealTemp after 1 hour stress testing. the PC is in my basement with ambient temps ~65F. my previous build was an i7 920 with original Corsair H60 AIO. i pushed it to 4ghz (bad chip for overclocking). when i picked up the 4670k i was going to go with the H100. i had no need to OC initially so i went with the 212 Evo as it's price/performance ratio was unmatched. i was shocked to see it cool much better than the H60 and only a few degrees off the H100. i'm just now trying to OC the 4670k to squeeze a few more FPS out of Witcher 3. 

the only reason it is not advised to surpass 1.32v for 4.4ghz is because the performance\watt is very inefficient

this is just my opinion. there is no reason you can run 4.4ghz@ 1.47V.... thats totally fine, seems like you got a weak overclocker.

thanks

i'll probably start dropping the multiplier to find the "sweet spot" with Vcore. i had no issues running 4.2 at 1.25. i doubt the performance increase from 4.2 to 4.4 is worth the volts needed...

temps verified with IETU and RealTemp after 1 hour stress testing. the PC is in my basement with ambient temps ~65F. my previous build was an i7 920 with original Corsair H60 AIO. i pushed it to 4ghz (bad chip for overclocking). when i picked up the 4670k i was going to go with the H100. i had no need to OC initially so i went with the 212 Evo as it's price/performance ratio was unmatched. i was shocked to see it cool much better than the H60 and only a few degrees off the H100. i'm just now trying to OC the 4670k to squeeze a few more FPS out of Witcher 3. 

Well, that's excellent then. Your chip may not be very good for overclocking, but it stays ridiculously cool. Most would be approaching 90°C or going over with that cooler and those kind of volts. I had the Hyper 212 EVO before the CM Nepton 240M and it was reaching upper 60's (and into the 70's) with 1.25V.

after a few days of twerking... err tweaking... i hit 4.4ghz and 41 ring bus (both @ 1.37 volts). VCCIN @ 2.0 and my memory is running the XMP profile (2133mhz @ 1.6 volts). i'm topping out at 81c in IETU stress tests. idle speeds are ~28c. haven't gone over 65c gaming.

thanks again for all the info here!

Thanks for posting this guide and the videos PROKON!

I have a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H MOBO

It does not allow me to change between adaptive and static mode... because it's a gigabyte board

Question 1:

When I'm stress testing my cpu frequency, ring bus frequency, memory, etc., should I set the core, cache, and graphic voltage modes to static or adaptive in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility?

I'm aware that IETU does not over-volt under any circumstance

Question 2:

Since I have a Gigabyte MOBO, when I'm trying to find the best CPU frequency in step 1, should I set my Uncore ratio to 35 or 33 and leave the CPU Ring Voltage at AUTO or 1.20V?

I've read that Gigabyte MOBO's will auto ramp up Uncore Ratio to x40 if it's left at STOCK settings manually

Question 3:

When trying to find the best CPU frequency via stress testing, should I disable EIST, C states and or any other power saving functions?

Thanks!

BigDay

Thanks for posting this guide and the videos PROKON!

I have a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H MOBO

It does not allow me to change between adaptive and static mode... because it's a gigabyte board

Question 1:

When I'm stress testing my cpu frequency, ring bus frequency, memory, etc., should I set the core, cache, and graphic voltage modes to static or adaptive in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility?

I'm aware that IETU does not over-volt under any circumstance

Question 2:

Since I have a Gigabyte MOBO, when I'm trying to find the best CPU frequency in step 1, should I set my Uncore ratio to 35 or 33 and leave the CPU Ring Voltage at AUTO or 1.20V?

I've read that Gigabyte MOBO's will auto ramp up Uncore Ratio to x40 if it's left at STOCK settings manually

Question 3:

When trying to find the best CPU frequency via stress testing, should I disable EIST, C states and or any other power saving functions?

Thanks!

Q1: You should set to manual, but static could be fine.

Q2: Don't know if gigabyte mobos ramp up ring bus, but nothing bad will happen if you set it at 33/35/38(stock clock). As for the voltage, just put it on 1.2v.

Q3: Disable all of them.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb

Thanks for the reply arniks8

Q: Should I leave windows power settings to "Balanced" when stress testing or set it to "Performance"?

Q: I'm going to start my first stress test with the following settings on my Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H mobo, what do you think?

CPU core ratio = 44

CPU Vcore = 1.25V

Uncore ratio = 35

CPU Vring = 1.20V

VRIN External Override = 1.90V

Ram = 1333

Memory voltage = 1.5V

Turbo boost = Disabled

C1E = Disabled

C6/C7 states = Disabled

EIST = Disabled

Hyper-threading = Enabled

BigDay

Q: Should I leave windows power settings to "Balanced" when stress testing or set it to "Performance"?

Q: I'm going to start my first stress test with the following settings on my Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H mobo, what do you think?

CPU core ratio = 44

CPU Vcore = 1.25V

Uncore ratio = 35

CPU Vring = 1.20V

Ram = 1333

Memory voltage = 1.5V

Turbo boost = Disabled

C1E = Disabled

C6/C7 states = Disabled

EIST = Disabled

settings look ok. the windows setting dont really make a difference, but you need to make sure your pc doesn't go to sleep after 10 mins :P is your ram xmp at 1333? that is very slow and if it can run faster then you should run it at xmp speeds for testing. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Yeah, I've seen no benefit to reducing the XMP of 1600Mhz (or whatever it is) to 1333Mhz. If it's 2133 or higher memory then it might be worth going down to 1600Mhz, but mostly for advanced overclocks.

CPU core ratio = 44

CPU Vcore = 1.25V

Uncore ratio = 35

CPU Vring = 1.20V

Ram = 1333

Memory voltage = 1.5V

Turbo boost = Disabled

C1E = Disabled

C6/C7 states = Disabled

EIST = Disabled

Leave Turbo boost enabled. As previously said, balanced and performance power settings don`t change anything. Other than that looks ok.

Thanks for the help guys

I'm following ProKoN's guide. He suggested that while I'm testing the CPU frequency first, I should lower my ram to 1333MHz from 1600MHz in order to remove it as a cause of instability. The ram is NOT running at XMP

After I find stability with the Uncore frequency and CPU Vring, I will then tweak my memory. Thoughts?

Q: Why should I leave "Turbo Boost" enabled?

Q: When it comes time to stress the memory, I'd prefer to use IETU. Should I use the memory stress test or the CPU stress test? ProKoN says he uses the CPU and the memory stress test to find stability with the memory. Am I wrong?

Q: I would rather not overclock my memory. I don't have the time or the desire. After I find CPU stability with my OC, can I just switch my memory back to 1600MHz without using an XMP profile?

Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it.

BigDay

Thanks for the help guys

I'm following ProKoN's guide. He suggested that while I'm testing the CPU frequency first, I should lower my ram to 1333MHz from 1600MHz in order to remove it as a cause of instability. The ram is NOT running at XMP

After I find stability with the Uncore frequency and CPU Vring, I will then tweak my memory. Thoughts?

Q: Why should I leave "Turbo Boost" enabled?

Q: When it comes time to stress the memory, I'd prefer to use IETU. Should I use the memory stress test or the CPU stress test? ProKoN says he uses the CPU and the memory stress test to find stability with the memory. Am I wrong?

Q: I would rather not overclock my memory. I don't have the time or the desire. After I find CPU stability with my OC, can I just switch my memory back to 1600MHz without using an XMP profile?

Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it.

I forgot that turbo boost will turn on by itself, when putting multiplier higher than stock. XMP just sets RAMs specified timings and frequency. You can alter RAM timings/frequency after enabling XMP.

My Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H motherboard doesn't offer me the option to turn CPU Vcore Voltage and CPU Ring Voltage to "Adaptive/Static", however, IETU does offer me those options for my core, cache, and graphics. On this particular motherboard, Gigabyte only offers voltage offsets

Q: After I've found a stable overclock, is it satisfactory to turn these voltages to "Adaptive" using IETU instead of using an offset or adjusting the power saving options directly in my BIOS?

BigDay

My Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H motherboard doesn't offer me the option to turn CPU Vcore Voltage and CPU Ring Voltage to "Adaptive/Static", however, IETU does offer me those options for my core, cache, and graphics. On this particular motherboard, Gigabyte only offers voltage offsets

Q: After I've found a stable overclock, is it satisfactory to turn these voltages to "Adaptive" using IETU instead of using an offset or adjusting the power saving options directly in my BIOS?

this video describes how to set adaptive voltages on a gigabyte board.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

this video describes how to set adaptive voltages on a gigabyte board.

Thanks for the great guide ProKoN and thank you for the reply!

I learned a lot from your videos

Question for ProKoN, do you still believe that the Uncore frequency should be at a 1:1 ratio with the CPU frequency? I've heard conflicting reports:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/0_50

http://www.overclock.net/t/1427411/haswell-uncore-same-or-lower-than-cpu-speed/0_50

http://cdn.overclock.net/4/45/500x1000px-LL-452a6b54_l6s4.png

BigDay

Ideally you want a 1:1 or as close to 1:1 as possible. Very few chips will hit a 1:1 ratio stable.

Most chips will have a stable uncore frequency that is 300-400mhz lower than the core frequency.... that accounts for 80% of chips

for gaming uncore doesnt make a huge impact. I have found video encoding using Handbrake will perform better with a higher uncore frequency vs the default uncore clock.

most synthetic benchmarks score higher with a higher uncore frequency

Thanks for the info ProKoN!

I finished watching the video you posted above. Very informative.

Q: Is there any way I can find out what my Processor Cache Voltage is in real time without using a digital multimeter?

It would be nice to have that shown in IETU. I just want to make sure my PCV is correctly set when I use the Vring offset

BigDay

Thanks for the info ProKoN!

I finished watching the video you posted above. Very informative.

Q: Is there any way I can find out what my Processor Cache Voltage is in real time without using a digital multimeter?

It would be nice to have that shown in IETU. I just want to make sure my PCV is correctly set when I use the Vring offset

There's lots of different programs for that, but I like HWmonitor.

There's lots of different programs for that, but I like HWmonitor.

I have CPUID HWMonitor up and I'm running AIDA64 Extreme. Where is the measurement in real-time for my CPU Ring Bus Voltage? What is it called in these programs?

Thanks!

BigDay

I have CPUID HWMonitor up and I'm running AIDA64 Extreme. Where is the measurement in real-time for my CPU Ring Bus Voltage? What is it called in these programs?

Thanks!

It'll be called Uncore Clock in HWiNFO.

It'll be called Uncore Clock in HWiNFO.

I recognize the Uncore now. It's showing the value in watts. Any way to change it to Volts?

BigDay