Best PC Security Software?

CostcoSamples

I want to improve the security of my computer.  I have Malwarebytes Premium and Avira Free.  What else do you guys suggest?  Additional malware/spyware protection? Disk encryption? Password managers? any thoughts, recommendations, or favorite guides?

thanks!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I love Kaspersky

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

the best is to disconnect your internet, then you're 100% safe (unless someone steals your PC)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I just run malwarebytes premium and windows defender alongside the best of all services called common sense, 100% effective! 

Malwarebytes premium is extremely solid. Adblocks are an option to block out those harmful ads. If you want my honest advice, use common sense while browsing, most things can be avoided if you use it. Viruses will always be there and seep through.

ZoneAlarm Firewall.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I use McAfee, never run into any problems.

NORTON IS THE DEVIL #NortonIsTheDevil #NortonBreaksCPUs #NortonShmorton

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  But I am looking for greater levels of security, particularly against the so called dragnet spying which most governments are now committing against us.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  But I am looking for greater levels of security, particularly against the so called dragnet spying which most governments are now committing against us.

Even Google is fighting just for that. I don't think you as a consumer will be able to get software of that degree. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Then please state that mate.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

The thing is, if that's really happening, no security software will ever help you :). The best you can do is encrypt and scatter your network traffic around the world, in which case you will have mostly unusable speeds of internet, and if somebody wanted to (especially the government) they could easily break it anyway. Tor is no longer safe too, even though it's traffic was wayyy more advanced. And even if you do that, you're still just a node on your ISP's network, in most cases anyone can get to you, and if there are security holes present that were put there to monitor you, they are already using it. Furthermore, they actually don't even need to hack your pc to monitor you. Your network traffic is all cozy and available at the ISP. So I suggest you employ a firewall and common sense not to let any malware in. And if you want to hide your network traffic from everyone, just don't generate it in the first place. If you want some super secret encryption software - you're out of luck, for day to day use such thing would be unfeasible, because nobody would support it, standards are standards not just for any reason. Of course you can create or use that kind of software for some specific tasks, but web browsing will not happen.

I wouldn't worry about government spying on you..... unless you are a criminal, but if you want to encrypt your internet connections you could use something like tunnel bear....but you can't know if they are spying on you....

I wouldn't worry about government spying on you..... unless you are a criminal, but if you want to encrypt your internet connections you could use something like tunnel bear....but you can't know if they are spying on you....

Seriously? There are tons of reasons to the goverment to spy on somebody, dont fall for the tale "The goverment just want to protect people" 

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Seriously? There are tons of reasons to the goverment to spy on somebody, dont fall for the tale "The goverment just want to protect people" 

Yes I Know, but they spy on everyone, and if you switch to a proxy, it is likely they will spy on you too

The thing is, if that's really happening, no security software will ever help you :). The best you can do is encrypt and scatter your network traffic around the world, in which case you will have mostly unusable speeds of internet, and if somebody wanted to (especially the government) they could easily break it anyway. Tor is no longer safe too, even though it's traffic was wayyy more advanced. And even if you do that, you're still just a node on your ISP's network, in most cases anyone can get to you, and if there are security holes present that were put there to monitor you, they are already using it. Furthermore, they actually don't even need to hack your pc to monitor you. Your network traffic is all cozy and available at the ISP. So I suggest you employ a firewall and common sense not to let any malware in. And if you want to hide your network traffic from everyone, just don't generate it in the first place. If you want some super secret encryption software - you're out of luck, for day to day use such thing would be unfeasible, because nobody would support it, standards are standards not just for any reason. Of course you can create or use that kind of software for some specific tasks, but web browsing will not happen.

I know that if they target me, there is nothing I can do.  What I want to do is to metaphorically close my front door.  I have not broken any laws, I don't even download movies or music, but governments are over stepping big time with all this spying.  Everybody should take steps to prevent mass surveillance.  If we give them an inch, they'll take a mile. 

Seriously man, governments don't give a shit about your safety, and mass surveillance has nothing to do with terrorism.  We are all criminals in their eyes, and the spying has to stop.

Exactly.  It's got nothing to do with keeping us safe.

Anyway, perhaps this is the wrong forum to be asking such questions.  If there are any security experts out there, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what the average Joe computer enthusiast can do.

PC Build

Desk Build

the best is to disconnect your internet, then you're 100% safe (unless someone steals your PC)

>Connect to Internet, install steam, all your favorite games, etc

>Restart steam in offline mode

>disconnect PC from internet

>Only reconnect when you want to install a new game

This is probably the safest kind of PC gaming there is

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

I know that if they target me, there is nothing I can do.  What I want to do is to metaphorically close my front door.  I have not broken any laws, I don't even download movies or music, but governments are over stepping big time with all this spying.  Everybody should take steps to prevent mass surveillance.  If we give them an inch, they'll take a mile. 

Seriously man, governments don't give a shit about your safety, and mass surveillance has nothing to do with terrorism.  We are all criminals in their eyes, and the spying has to stop.

Exactly.  It's got nothing to do with keeping us safe.

Anyway, perhaps this is the wrong forum to be asking such questions.  If there are any security experts out there, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what the average Joe computer enthusiast can dor VPN.

Yes I Know, but they spy on everyone, and if you switch to a proxy or VPN, it is vey likely they will spy on you too, and government would probably have good computers that would crack your encrypted signals to your VPN.

Yes I Know, but they spy on everyone, and if you switch to a proxy or VPN, it is vey likely they will spy on you too, and government would probably have good computers that would crack your encrypted signals to your VPN.

Dont think that they are able to crack , unless its a really poored secured one, the thing that I know, is that they have fake VPN for free on the web, or have agreements with some VPN to spy.

Spoiler

I use avast premium, (given away free a while back) malwarebytes free, and commonsense 2015

>Connect to Internet, install steam, all your favorite games, etc

>Restart steam in offline mode

>disconnect PC from internet

>Only reconnect when you want to install a new game

This is probably the safest kind of PC gaming there is

Playing offline , online games... Good one ;)

-= Maximus VIII Extreme ||| I7-6700K |||  32Gb DDr4 @2123Mhz ||| Msi RTX 2080Ti =-

It also requires some hardware on the receiving end. According to the NYT, the covert communications target tiny transceivers that can be hidden inside computers or devices as small as USB cables. Implanting one of those bugs requires physical access to the machine, of course

thats pretty much the same thing as stealing the PC since you have physical access to it...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

thats pretty much the same thing as stealing the PC since you have physical access to it...

"The agency reportedly has a program in place to intercept PC shipments for the purpose of installing software and "hardware components."

Also:

"According to the NYT, the covert communications target tiny transceivers that can be hidden inside computers or devices as small as USB cables."

Technically it could be in your mouse, installed in the factory

I use McAfee, never run into any problems.

NORTON IS THE DEVIL #NortonIsTheDevil #NortonBreaksCPUs #NortonShmorton

lol I use Norton i still don't get what's so bad about it

lol I use Norton i still don't get what's so bad about it

it's quite expensive, I had it too and it was really good protections (although it did have some issues once or twice a year)