your scariest moment when building your first pc

maxtiggertom

When the black piece of plastic over the cpu socket popped out I thought I had broken something. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Mine would be not knowing whether i put in the CPU on correct orientation while pressing the start button hopping it wont fry the CPU.

Details separate people.

When i took my AMD CPU out of the box and some pins where bend.

I bend them back with a butter knife,so,powering on was a scary moment.

Got everything put together, plugged it in, pressed the power button... aaannnnddd DOA PSU.  

EVGA had a new one at my door in 48 hours, plugged it in, pressed power... aaannnnddd nothing.  Then i facepalmed and hit the switch on the PSU.

I was screwing in the motherboard to the standoffs and I literally hit the motherboard so hard with my screw driver where I thought the screw was, thought I literally cracked my mobo, but it was fine

I was screwing in the motherboard to the standoffs and I literally hit the motherboard so hard with my screw driver where I thought the screw was, thought I literally cracked my mobo, but it was fine

PC components are so much more durable than you'd think they'd be.

I was helping a friend build a new PC over skype, but he was using his PSU from his old PC, because it was replaced just a year before or so. It was really dusty, so I told him to clean it a bit first.

He walked over to the window of his apartment, grabbed the PSU by the cables and started shaking before I could say anything... It still worked.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

building my friends pc, the motherboard was an inch shorter than other AYX boards so 1,5 inches of moba was hanging in thin air. (it flexed like CRAZY when i plugged the 24 pin in)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Reading this made me think of my SECOND one (first was taking apart the computer my grandparents gave me to use as a testing rig due to them not needing it; It was weak so I thought I'd get some experience taking it all apart and putting it back in; not that hard due to very few parts)...

So I had a pre-build case and it had a propriatery f-panel. I stuck it in, thinking it would work, pressed the button. Didn't turn on. Called up my friend, said it was wired wrong, needed to hard connect the cables in.

Looking back at that.... Had those been the wrong pins, I probably could have shorted/fried my mobo.... ._.

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

Waiting for it to catch fire cos I thought I would put the thermal paste on wrong

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

PC components are so much more durable than you'd think they'd be.

I was helping a friend build a new PC over skype, but he was using his PSU from his old PC, because it was replaced just a year before or so. It was really dusty, so I told him to clean it a bit first.

He walked over to the window of his apartment, grabbed the PSU by the cables and started shaking before I could say anything... It still worked.

wow just wow he could have dropped it out the window however lol 

Probably installing my RAM. I've done it many times before my first build on other builds, but that time I had to put a lot more pressure than usual and the board was flexing quite a bit.

The scariest moment was when I had to pop out a 5.25" bay to put in a bluray burner 3 years ago. I didn't want to break the bay, and ended up cutting my hand because I had to force it out.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Having my CLC start leaking when I turned the machine on for the first time. Had to use stock cooler for another week until the new part came

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

my lga-775 board refused to boot because the optical drive's power connecter was disconnected. #2006Problems

γνῶθι σεαυτόν