your scariest moment when building your first pc

maxtiggertom

Worrying if my pc will turn on or not

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i thot i killed my mobo cuz it shocked me when i took it out of the bag.

I disassembled my gpu from my old pre-built rig to clean it but then i noticed i had lost more than 1 screw... :mellow:

I got my PC case and PSU (my old one) second hand from a friend. I needed to remove the hard drives in it but one of the bolts had snapped.

My brother helped to push the panel out so I had enough clearance to just remove the hard drive.  :lol:

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I don't know if this counts as a scary moment... I didn't realize you could install the optical drive from the front and while trying to install it knocked it against my mobo. I was so worried it wouldn't work throughout the rest of the build... and it didn't work

Other than that closing the socket cover. It made a horrible grinding noise. I got my more techy friend to take a look and he said it was fine, but I was still worried

i3 4170 : Asus R9 270 : MSI h81M-Pro VD : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO : Seagate Barracuda 1TB : NZXT Source 210 : Some Random RAM

hmm I remembered Opening the cpu socket and hitting the pins(didn't bend though)  Was a bit scared :/

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

Sleeved my PSU and when probing to check my work accidentally shorted out my PSU triggering the short circuit protection. it wouldn't turn on again until I unplugged everything and re-plugged it back in.

I forgot to use the distances you use to elevate the motherboard and I think I messed something up. I built two computers at the same time and did the same mistake on both of them.

I couldn't open certain files and whatnot. Very frustrating.

Worrying if my pc will turn on or not

Nothing like that moment of truth press of the power button.

I mentally cross my fingers for every new build or after any disassembly / reassembly.

Every time I rebuild I always get a knot in my stomach when Im waiting for the first post. Looking at the black screen waiting for logos and time always seems to slow down for a few moments, It takes just long enough for me to start worrying.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Wtf is that noise?

Wtf is that smell...

Wtf did this screw came off?

Why wouldn't this pos run?

What did I do wrong now?

Run-down of my thought process through the pc build process.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Attaching the heatsink (Gammaxx S40)... I bent the top fins thanks to AMD's mounting...

CPU. I had no idea that the pins were not on the CPU any more, the crunching noise it made when placing the lever down oh god Q_Q

Edit: It had been a fair while since I had hands on building a PC.. Ugh. Even though my E6600 didn't have pins on the CPU, so I don't know why I was so shocked.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

When I was bringing the retention arm down for my Xeon I was like, "lol wtf why does it require so much force?"

Both of my friends with intel cpus had me do that since they were scared shitless when they tried...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

First time building my own? Probably mounting the CPU, because of all the crunchy noises. Now I don't have any problems building anything.

Putting in the 24 pin motherboard connector. Pushed it so hard, felt like the motherboard was going to snap off!

1. PC doesn't turn on because I didn't turn on the PSU

2. The CPU clamp...urgghhhhh it still trips me up to this day.

These.

1. Dat panic and sudden relieve when you remember that there's a switch on the PSU itself too

2. The cracking noise stressed me out so much.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

When it didn't post :( But it was a REALLY stupid mistake on my part

Part of the Q6600 club

I collected my parts month by month, finally built my pc after spending a total of about £1200, put it all together, pressed the power button and nothing happened.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

These.

1. Dat panic and sudden relieve when you remember that there's a switch on the PSU itself too

2. The cracking noise stressed me out so much.

1. I like to scare the shit out of my friends when I boot their PCs for the first time or replace their PSU. :P

2. My friends with intel cpus wanted to do it, so I told them it would require a bit of force, they chickened out so I did it myself.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

The fact that I built the whole thing on carpet aka the home to a world of static electricity.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)