A Keyboard Build Log

A Keyboard Build Log - By Davsmith4

A few months ago I was modifying an old IBM Aptivia case to have a door with a window in it and I came across the old membrane keyboard it came with. Thus our story begins.

tWozRDn.jpg

The first step was removing the keycaps. Beige being typical of the 1990s....

2qWteRo.jpg

Then i took the case apart...

ClrvJjj.jpg

and dremmled out the supports for the membrane keycaps.

FbMUnAk.jpg MOaW2jc.jpg

I taped off the case (sorry forgot to photograph) and plastidiped the part of the keyboard where the switches will go.

PY3B4kp.jpg

Then I got my carbon vyinl wrap and wrapped the keyboard.

zYf8A9N.jpg

1ItrCri.jpg

Then came putting in all 104 of the key switches and put on the keycaps.

xDEq2zm.jpg

ZCRY9Az.jpg

gB8gEri.jpg

After that I wired up the matrix

R24ePpc.jpg

KFiMoYe.jpg

x73TKHg.jpg

hPSRwTV.jpg

Finally I wired it up the the Teensy ++

VgR2p5W.jpg

3iObfwU.jpg

A6GKyXn.jpg

r95ZVsD.jpg

nzlFfDO.jpg

And done !

z330dqz.jpg

p2Yoy2w.jpg

Ep6QCjY.jpg

Hope you enjoyed I know I did ;)

Before

tWozRDn.jpg

After

z330dqz.jpg

Interesting idea...followed!

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Updated/complete enjoy ;)

Where'd you get that carbon fiber thing from? I've got something like it from slick wraps on my iPad 2 but how'd you get it on an older keyboards? Plus the keys that are uneven bother me but it's still an amazing concept and idea. I love it

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Where'd you get that carbon fiber thing from? I've got something like it from slick wraps on my iPad 2 but how'd you get it on an older keyboards? Plus the keys that are uneven bother me but it's still an amazing concept and idea. I love it

1. Hand dremmeled so thats to be expected :P

2. I still havent gotten the stabilizers for the keys that need them so that makes it look worse :P

3. I got it on amazon llink here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059XCVVO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 adhesive isnt amazing but it works pretty well :P

Great work man: For the love of god replace that Space button :P

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

Great work man: For the love of god replace that Space button :P

I like it so it stays :P Also the size is nonstandard so I cant :P

Those crooked keys are killing my OCD. Amazing craftsmanship though, I wish I was that handy. Seems like a fun project.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Those crooked keys are killing my OCD. Amazing craftsmanship though, I wish I was that handy. Seems like a fun project.

The shift key bothers me the worst.... I really need to get those stabalizers :P

The shift key bothers me the worst.... I really need to get those stabalizers :P

The "Page Up" key. Hngggh

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

The "Page Up" key. Hngggh

xD