Sony Vegas Pro 12 CPU as Fast as GPU

So my work recently bought me a copy of Sony Vegas Pro 12( had a choice of the adobe alternative but I used Sony Vegas before ). But with recent weird issues I have been having with Sony Vegas I might have to go to premiere. So initially I recorded about 5 min of random Skyrim gameplay and rendered it. Used the internet 1080p setting but with some tweeks like the deblocking filter on and also turned 2 pass on and this was the result: 

After watching it I had realized the "deblocking filter " didn't work. And I rendered it a few more times trying my CPU and my GPU( still nothing better ) and my CPU rendered just as fast if not faster than my GPU. But when I tried rendering with my GPU or OpenCl it still drove my CPU to the same work load. So If any of you have an idea on how to fix either one that would be great!

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Vegas pro is more optimized for CUDA rather then open CL

Still some kind of acceleration should be faster than none...

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Still some kind of acceleration should be faster than none...

Try rendering with post effects and see if you see any difference.

Try rendering with post effects and see if you see any difference.

I like the way the raw video looked I just want to render to make the file size smaller. Also I need to address the issue of the video getting all blocky and unfocused...

I like the way the raw video looked I just want to render to make the file size smaller. Also I need to address the issue of the video getting all blocky and unfocused...

It all depends what codec you are rendering too, usually you only see benefit from GPU accelerated rendering with lots of post processing.

On certain codecs with no post processing you may not see any benefit at all.

It all depends what codec you are rendering too, usually you only see benefit from GPU accelerated rendering with lots of post processing.

On certain codecs with no post processing you may not see any benefit at all.

What would be the best codec to use for hd gameplay clips? Also if you watch the video you will notice that it gets blocky and unfocused any idea on how to fix that?

What would be the best codec to use for hd gameplay clips? Also if you watch the video you will notice that it gets blocky and unfocused any idea on how to fix that?

Is there a reason why you want to keep the file size really low, like bad internet connection or something?

Here is all the info for the optimum rendering settings:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en&ref_topic=2888648

So go for an .h264 codec in an .mp4 container with the corresponding audio and video bit rates for your resolution.

Is there a reason why you want to keep the file size really low, like bad internet connection or something?

Here is all the info for the optimum rendering settings:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en&ref_topic=2888648

So go for an .h264 codec in an .mp4 container with the corresponding audio and video bit rates for your resolution.

I have good internet actually I'm supposed to get 5up but I get more like 8 or 9. Just easier and quicker for me to upload a smaller file.

I have good internet actually I'm supposed to get 5up but I get more like 8 or 9. Just easier and quicker for me to upload a smaller file.

Okay well go with the recommended YouTube settings and you should get better results, keep in mind its YouTube and it's never going to look amazing anyway.

Your video does have quite a few blocky artifacts and also looks quite contrasty as well. It's hard to tell but if you were rendering to a codec that is very different from YouTube's native .h264 then this may account for that.

If you think about compressing video as throwing away data, so your original codec throws away x amount of values of blue, then it gets compressed again by YouTube in an .h264 codec and it throws away even more values for blue, you only have a couple left that are visible and the difference or contrast between the two is more obvious creating those blocky effects in the sky etc.

Okay well go with the recommended YouTube settings and you should get better results, keep in mind its YouTube and it's never going to look amazing anyway.

Your video does have quite a few blocky artifacts and also looks quite contrasty as well. It's hard to tell but if you were rendering to a codec that is very different from YouTube's native .h264 then this may account for that.

If you think about compressing video as throwing away data, so your original codec throws away x amount of values of blue, then it gets compressed again by YouTube in an .h264 codec and it throws away even more values for blue, you only have a couple left that are visible and the difference or contrast between the two is more obvious creating those blocky effects in the sky etc.

The contrast is a mod in the game actually. I like the way it looks.

SKOONJar, on 30 Jul 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

The contrast is a mod in the game actually. I like the way it looks.

Ah cool, the shadowy areas are a bit too dark for my liking, I prefer a bit more dynamic range.

Anyways if you follow the recommended settings you should get an improvement. Just out of curiosity what settings were you using for rendering?

I use Premiere, so don't really know the workflow for Vegas, if there is an advanced tab to show bit rates could you take a screenshot and post it up?

x

Ah cool, the shadowy areas are a bit too dark for my liking, I prefer a bit more dynamic range.

Anyways if you follow the recommended settings you should get an improvement. Just out of curiosity what settings were you using for rendering?

I use Premiere, so don't really know the workflow for Vegas, if there is an advanced tab to show bit rates could you take a screenshot and post it up?

Actually what Sony recommended for internet 1080p video... It was in a mp4 format YouTubes recommended settings arent much different. Also the shadows are from a realistic lighting mod supposed to make shadow well... more realistic for lack of a better term.

I might move to Premiere if this doesn't fix it my work gives this stuff out like candy to employees.

Actually what Sony recommended for internet 1080p video... It was in a mp4 format YouTubes recommended settings arent much different. Also the shadows are from a realistic lighting mod supposed to make shadow well... more realistic for lack of a better term.

They are definitely a lot smoother, Ironically a lot less blocky than the shadows in the original game :lol: I'm just finding it a bit hard to see into them, it might be just the compression though. Everything else looks pretty good what mod is creating the DOF? it looks really good. I have SLI 570's so have steered clear of modding Skyrim too much cos of the low VRAM :(

Typically what I do is pick the best quality template from the list that uses an h.264 codec and then go into the advanced tab and adjust all the bit rates to match Youtube or Vimeos recommended settings. I haven't done many gaming videos but I don't think they had as many of those blocky effects as yours did.

There seems to be some workflow videos on youtube if you want to try and match those settings. I just don't know enough about Vegas to answer confidently.

They are definitely a lot smoother, Ironically a lot less blocky than the shadows in the original game :lol: I'm just finding it a bit hard to see into them, it might be just the compression though. Everything else looks pretty good what mod is creating the DOF? it looks really good. I have SLI 570's so have steered clear of modding Skyrim too much cos of the low VRAM :(

Typically what I do is pick the best quality template from the list that uses an h.264 codec and then go into the advanced tab and adjust all the bit rates to match Youtube or Vimeos recommended settings. I haven't done many gaming videos but I don't think they had as many of those blocky effects as yours did.

There seems to be some workflow videos on youtube if you want to try and match those settings. I just don't know enough about Vegas to answer confidently.

I have 3gigs of VRAM and it still kills my gpu. Here is the mod that changes the DOF: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15105/?

unfortunately its a killer on the GPU because its not just a DOF mod its a ENB. I have finished rendering the video over I have fixed the issue with the blockyness but now I have lost sound. The new vid is almost done uploading ill post it here for you to see.

Well the sound didn't play when played it back on my PC but it plays in the video odd.

Definitely much better, perhaps a little bit of banding in the sky but I would consider that normal for YouTube and the shadows actually look a lot better. I see what the mod is trying to do, give you more of a camera perspective than the human eye.

Looks good, I really need to upgrade my cards :( long overdue now :lol: Just gameplay mods for me.

The only thing I could see being improved now is the motion blur. I used Sony Vegas very briefly when I started editing years ago, not sure if it still does this, but is there a motion blur checkbox beside your comp timeline. IIRC it was auto checked and it applied it to all clips when rendering. It seems that there is some additional motion blur in this video when compared to other vids of the mods.

Definitely much better, perhaps a little bit of banding in the sky but I would consider that normal for YouTube and the shadows actually look a lot better. I see what the mod is trying to do, give you more of a camera perspective than the human eye.

Looks good, I really need to upgrade my cards :( long overdue now :lol: Just gameplay mods for me.

The only thing I could see being improved now is the motion blur. I used Sony Vegas very briefly when I started editing years ago, not sure if it still does this, but is there a motion blur checkbox beside your comp timeline. IIRC it was auto checked and it applied it to all clips when rendering. It seems that there is some additional motion blur in this video when compared to other vids of the mods.

The enb gives the game like you said a camera perspective so it also does the focus part so it has to adjust to new surroundings. These mods make me feel like I need to upgrade -_-