Windows 10 - Dont want to Update? Too damn bad!

I saw read about this on Tech Crunch and the main part of the story I have pasted below, I have included the link to the website in case any of you are interested and want to check it out for yourself.

Not sure about you, but this is going to piss a lot of people off, including myself. Thanks MS once again.

The Software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you.

You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorised sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.

By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

I read somewhere else that you can delay the updates in the Pro version but it will still force you to update it. For the average Joe, he/she wont know how to block the update servers and they'd just be stuck with the force-fed updates. 

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/17/of-course-microsoft-will-push-windows-10-updates-to-consumers/

You can disable Microsoft updates in current Windows versions.

It's just that the normal Windows 10 version to which most users can upgrade to won't allow you to update anymore.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

There was a news topic on this a little while ago, it varies between the windows 10 versions. Windows 10 Pro allows you to choose when to install updates (same as 7 & 8) however windows 10 home will automatically download and install updates when available. 

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440

Old news, discussed to death.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

There was a news topic on this a little while ago, it varies between the windows 10 versions. Windows 10 Pro allows you to choose when to install updates (same as 7 & 8) however windows 10 home will automatically download and install updates when available. 

That is true, but I read somewhere else (cant remember where) that you can delay the updates in the Pro version but it will still force you to update it. For the average Joe, he/she wont know how to block the update servers and they'd just be stuck with the force-fed updates. 

Should have added that to the main post. Whoops...

That is true, but I read somewhere else (cant remember where) that you can delay the updates in the Pro version but it will still force you to update it. For the average Joe, he/she wont know how to block the update servers and they'd just be stuck with the force-fed updates. 

At the same time for the avg joe that is probably best. I can't see why your run-of-the-mill facebook machine should not be updated whenever possible. It's different in a power user scenario or in a firm where you need a specific windows version for compatibility.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ahem, edit the OP, select all, and hit that wonderful Eraser tool in the top left of the editing bar. It will fix the text's colors so those of us on Night-Theme (masterrace) can see what you've posted.

Also, if you were trying to do a quote in the middle there, you need to set it up like this

[quote]Text Text Text Text[/quote]

Or, you could Highlight it and use the "quote" tool in the editing bar as well, it's the little speech bubble.

Also, you can get around this automatic updating feature. It's actually rather simple assuming something doesn't go awry with the final release, I've not tested it yet but its still windows, so it should work. If it does, and I'm not insane, then I'll post a guide on how to do it in the guides section of the forums.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

No, it's not like in Windows 7 and 8.

Right now in Windows 7 and 8 you can select which updates you want to be installed. You can even uninstall an update you've previously installed. In Windows 10 it will update everything for you automatically, and you can't turn it off. In Windows 10 Pro you get the option to disable all updates, or install all updates.

Windows 7 & 8 -> Users have control over updates, and it's a very fine tune control. It's like your water tap at home.

Windows 10 Pro -> Users have pretty much no control. It's like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. You either get everything to the point of suffocation, or nothing at all.

snip

Didn't realise that, good to know before the upgrade is available.

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440

Isn't this a good thing?

Isn't this a good thing?

Personally I think it's terrible.

It's never a good thing when consumers lose control over their own computers.

Even if you argue that the average Joe don't know what's best for him, there are a lot of other ways of making sure he gets the updates and still let power users have control.

In fact, this new update method might be even more dangerous than the other one because in Windows 7/8 you can just ignore a single update (which might cause issues for you) and still install the other ones. If you get an issue with a single update on Windows 10 then you'll have to not get any of the other updates either.

Personally I think it's terrible.

It's never a good thing when consumers lose control over their own computers.

Even if you argue that the average Joe don't know what's best for him, there are a lot of other ways of making sure he gets the updates and still let power users have control.

In fact, this new update method might be even more dangerous than the other one because in Windows 7/8 you can just ignore a single update (which might cause issues for you) and still install the other ones. If you get an issue with a single update on Windows 10 then you'll have to not get any of the other updates either.

Could you please mention one of these 'other methods' you speak of?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Could you please mention one of these 'other methods' you speak of?

He already did in a previous post.

No, it's not like in Windows 7 and 8.

Right now in Windows 7 and 8 you can select which updates you want to be installed. You can even uninstall an update you've previously installed. In Windows 10 it will update everything for you automatically, and you can't turn it off. In Windows 10 Pro you get the option to disable all updates, or install all updates.

Windows 7 & 8 -> Users have control over updates, and it's a very fine tune control. It's like your water tap at home.

Windows 10 Pro -> Users have pretty much no control. It's like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. You either get everything to the point of suffocation, or nothing at all.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

He already did in a previous post.

The problem with that is that some people think that updates are bad, and do everything they can to disable it. Some also never bother to restart their computer to finish installing them, and when they do they get hit with 135 updates that are pending installation. Windows 10 tries to fix this by forcing automatic updates, which will be installed as soon as they're available. Windows 10 also ries to schedule a restart during the time when you are not using your computer. And it will warn you 1 day prior to restarting. For power users who have programs that integrate deep within the system and which could be broken by Windows updates, there is an option to delay the updates. And finally, for 10 Enterprise, you can opt-in to an LTSB (Long-Term Servicing Branch) which will only get security updates.

Why would you not want to have your OS patched and up to date?

The problem with that is that some people think that updates are bad, and do everything they can to disable it. Some also never bother to restart their computer to finish installing them, and when they do they get hit with 135 updates that are pending installation. Windows 10 tries to fix this by forcing automatic updates, which will be installed as soon as they're available. Windows 10 also ries to schedule a restart during the time when you are not using your computer. And it will warn you 1 day prior to restarting. For power users who have programs that integrate deep within the system and which could be broken by Windows updates, there is an option to delay the updates. And finally, for 10 Enterprise, you can opt-in to an LTSB (Long-Term Servicing Branch) which will only get security updates.

I already knew Home wasn't going to work for me and was planning on getting Pro, but delaying isn't going to cut it, I want complete control like Win7 has. I'm not going to upgrade if it means I'm losing functionality. So that means I'm actually going to need to get Enterprise. Hip hip fracking hooray! Nothing I love more than spending a fortune because I don't want to give Microsoft the unrestricted ability to modify my computer.

Why would you not want to have your OS patched and up to date?

It's not that we don't want the updates at all, its that we're not being given a choice. I don't care if an update's intentions are entirely benevolent, my computer is my property and I don't want anything to be changed without asking my permission. 99% of the time I will probably install all of the updates I receive, but there needs to be something that keeps Microsoft's control over your computer in check. Once its just a given that Microsoft can do as they see fit, what's stopping them from uninstalling programs they don't like or deleting files they don't want you to have? My computer is my domain and I don't want an entity that cares for nothing but profits poking their grubby fingers inside my computer whenever they feel like.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

But what if you do this?

gXORSKB.png

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

snip

you can't

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I already knew Home wasn't going to work for me and was planning on getting Pro, but delaying isn't going to cut it, I want complete control like Win7 has. I'm not going to upgrade if it means I'm losing functionality. So that means I'm actually going to need to get Enterprise. Hip hip fracking hooray! Nothing I love more than spending a fortune because I don't want to give Microsoft the unrestricted ability to modify my computer.

I believe that only the security updates will be forced in the final release.

I imagine going into Services.msc and turning off updates will still be available (always was during windows 10 preview). I wonder what kind of counter-measure Microsoft will impose for Home Edition users that bypass updates. It's possible that an expired windows install will be treated as if it weren't activated, disabling features until you "activate" your install again by getting the latest updates. I'm just speculating. Even if Microsoft removes the ability to turn off windows update services, there will be other ways like using NetLimiter to slow windows update down so it takes a couple months to download an update. I'm curious to see what comes of this.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So why punish everyone because a very small group of people are stupid?

Here is how I would do it if I were Microsoft:

On installation it is set to auto update by default.

In the same place as Windows 10 Pro has the option for disabling updates, change that to a button that reverts the updating options to as they are in Windows 7/8. You can call it advanced options or whatever. However, when you press the button you get a big warning explaining the potential risks and then have you check a box before you can press continue.

With that solution, users don't lose any control over their computers, but it still deters people from doing the wrong thing. It doesn't make sense to me to remove granular control and replace it with an "all or nothing" setting. The people you are talking about who don't want any updates will still not get any updates in Windows 10, because that option is still there from what I can tell.

I believe that only the security updates will be forced in the final release.

What makes you think that? The current version has all updates, including video card drivers, forcefully installed.

So why punish everyone because a very small group of people are stupid?

Here is how I would do it if I were Microsoft:

On installation it is set to auto update by default.

In the same place as Windows 10 Pro has the option for disabling updates, change that to a button that reverts the updating options to as they are in Windows 7/8. You can call it advanced options or whatever. However, when you press the button you get a big warning explaining the potential risks and then have you check a box before you can press continue.

With that solution, users don't lose any control over their computers, but it still deters people from doing the wrong thing. It doesn't make sense to me to remove granular control and replace it with an "all or nothing" setting. The people you are talking about who don't want any updates will still not get any updates in Windows 10, because that option is still there from what I can tell.

What makes you think that? The current version has all updates, including video card drivers, forcefully installed.

Hmm, that is actually a good idea. You should submit it to Windows Feedback if you have the preview installed. Or post it on Microsoft Answers community. That's what Microsoft is looking at.

And right now, the updates are forced because it's a preview. Previews have always had forced updates. I'm sure it will be changed once it's done.

So here is the thing I don't get:

-> Everyone updates their Windows to the max regardless (unless specific issues, but those are super rare)

-> On Phones and tablets, all updates are forced into 1 package, and everyone gets it, and wants it, demands it even, and annoyed that they cant' get it at all or on day 1 due to manufactures need to do a special implementation for each of their phones and pass testing, and service providers, blocking them because 'they need to test them, to make sure it doesn't break their network' (apparently that's a daily issue for them)

Now Windows does it, and now it is the end of the world? We don't accept it? Even though, I think anyone here can raise their hand that they at least at one time they have repaired or came in contact with a PC that didn't have its Windows updated, and you updated it and everything is fine.

So Microsoft is forcing update to boost the user experience, and to ensure maximum security, making it harder for malware/virus/hackers makers to exploit Windows.

To be clear, both Windows 10 Home and Professional have forced updates. The Pro version you can delay the batch of currently available updates, that is all. But it will install them eventually.

The only problem in all of this, are drivers updates being delivered through Windows update which are forced.

But, I posted a user voice regarding this issue, and the ability to at least hide the driver/firmware hardware/system hardware updates specifically, but as you can see from the vote count, very few people find it is an issue.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

These are more important issues:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/filters/top

I think this highlights that my concern, and our concern of updates causing problems is a non issue.