Samsung Haswell (and Richland?) ultrabook(s) now available

MalcolmSex

I was lurking and doing research on Ultrabooks for school when I discovered that Samsung has some pretty sweet products coming into fruition. But wait there's more, they're already on sale (in the US)!

For those of you who do not know, Samsung has decided to rename their series of ultrabooks as the ATIV line. For example, the ATIV book 7 replaces the series 7 ultra ect and the ATIV book 9 replaces the series 9 ultrabook.

The two new ultrabooks now for sale are the ATIV Book 9 Plus and it's cheaper brother the ATIV Book 9 Lite. Both feature touch screens and identical exteriors, but are otherwise fairly different.

ATIV Book 9 Lite 

-has a "1.4ghz quad core" which appears to be of the Richland APU variety

-Integrated HD8250 

-1366x769 touch screen

-5.5 hour battery

-plastic construction for the keyboard/palmrest

-base 128gb ssd

-3.48lbs

available for preorder on Newegg and purchase at Abt Electronics for $800

http://www.abt.com/product/70869/Samsung-NP915S3GK01US.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=NP915S3GK01US&adtype=pla

ATIV Book 9 Plus

- Haswell 1.6ghz i5-4200U 

-13.3" 3200x1800 10-point multi-touch screen (1080p option on Samsung's website, although all models linked are 3200x1800)

-HD4400

-11-12 hours of battery life!!!

-Full aluminium unibody

-base 128gb ssd

-2.56lbs

Available for purchase at for $1400

-Abt electronics: http://www.abt.com/product/71014/Samsung-NP940X3GK01US.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=NP940X3GK01US&adtype=pla

-Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/SSG940X3GK01.html?gclid=CNGl5d3c1rgCFS3hQgoda1YAjQ

-B&H

samsung's site: http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativbook9plus.html

engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/20/samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-and-ativ-book-9-lite-hands-on/

and before someone posts it, I do know that AMD powered systems cannot be called ultrabooks

3200x1800? never seen that resolotion before

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

3200x1800? never seen that resolotion before

Just like when I first saw 1600 x 900 resolution monitors... but it actually makes more sense then the typical odd numbers of standard resolutions... which stems from odd ratios  :rolleyes:

My Rigs (past and present)

Just like when I first saw 1600 x 900 resolution monitors... but it actually makes more sense then the typical odd numbers of standard resolutions... which stems from odd ratios  :rolleyes:

What aspect ratio is that? is it 16:9?

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Book 9 plus looks so beast...

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

What aspect ratio is that? is it 16:9?

yeah.  It was an HP monitor. 

My Rigs (past and present)

This could very well be my new laptop, seems they are hitting a little bit lower of a price point than the competitors. 

Would also like to know more information on the packaged SSD's, I prefer to have some ability to upgrade/replace my storage rather than soldered to pcie lane on my mobile platform. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Interesting with the two flavors, now its based on use case, Do you want more battery life then get the Haswell variant, or more GPU performance then go with the APU variant. Now if AMD can only get the power draw down, then intel will truely have something to fear as the integrated GPU on the APUs just rips faces off the intel IGPUs.

That resolution for the Haswell monitor is very high. Samsung maybe is trying to achieve retina display by making the res so large that you can't see the pixels?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

3200x1800? Wasn't that the resolution of the Dell workstation laptop?

that is an awesome price for that res screen and computer and would be amazing if it had thunderbolt then u could hook up an external gpu and have a great little work station also just proof how basically 4k panels arnt that much to make and deffinatley not worth $3500 

dat resolution, and battery life. I need that haswell laptop in my life immediately. 

Kind of old news : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/28118-samsung-announces-ativ-book-9-plus-ativ-book-9-lite-notebooks/?hl=samsung

Also you forgot the most important detail: They're extremely sexy!

gsmarena_000.jpg

but now there's info on pricing and availability 

That resolution for the Haswell monitor is very high. Samsung maybe is trying to achieve retina display by making the res so large that you can't see the pixels?

this has a pixel density of 276ppi, the 13 inch MBP retine display is only 227ppi. 

The Plus Sku only has 4gb of ram.... dafuq

The Plus Sku only has 4gb of ram.... dafuq

thats all 90% of user cases need

thats all 90% of user cases need

When I am in a skype call with 10+ chrome tabs open I get real close to 4gb usage even on windows 8. I can only imagine if  I was running eclipse as well :o. Also for $1400 "most cases" isn't enough

When I am in a skype call with 10+ chrome tabs open I get real close to 4gb usage even on windows 8. I can only imagine if  I was running eclipse as well  :o. Also for $1400 "most cases" isn't enough

the $1400 is mostly because of the screen, it's 4x the resolution of a normal 13.3 notebook screen (1600x900) and I don't know know if you've ever looked at ultrabook pricing but $1400 is mid tear. 

the $1400 is mostly because of the screen, it's 4x the resolution of a normal 13.3 notebook screen (1600x900) and I don't know know if you've ever looked at ultrabook pricing but $1400 is mid tear. 

The macbook pro with for $1400 has 8 gb of ram and the highest Sku of the 13" macbook air is $1600 how is $1400 mid tear....

neither of those have a 3200x1800 touchscreen, the MBP doesn't have a haswell processor (might be the other way around I can't remember) 

The macbook pro with for $1400 has 8 gb of ram and the highest Sku of the 13" macbook air is $1600 how is $1400 mid tear....

neither of those have a 3200x1800 touchscreen,

the MBP doesn't have a haswell processor and the 4gb 128GB SSD config is $1400, you're getting that + a 3200x1800 touchscreen

Macbook Air still doesn't have that screen