The best way to create a first game.

beach_boy98

For my summer project i want to try and make a game. (May or may not be Linus related.) I have dabbled with scratch and stuff. Unity and me don't really work well together. 

Thanks beach. :)

If you're not experienced with coding, you could go for a simplified process that can be good for learning basic game structures. Something like Construct 2 can be used to get an idea for how things work. 

If you're not experienced with coding, you could go for a simplified process that can be good for learning basic game structures. Something like Construct 2 can be used to get an idea for how things work. 

Installing as i type.

Download Unreal Engine 4(It's free) and learn to make games using Blueprints.  Blueprints are pretty much visual scripting but you can do crazy things with them.  UE4 has a TOOOOOOOON of free learning resources  and content

If you don't having any coding experience then you have a lot of learning to do. Set your expectations extremely low as your first couple games will always be garbage. Always finish your games! You will never learn a thing if you don't meet the scope of your project.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Download Unreal Engine 4(It's free) and learn to make games using Blueprints.  Blueprints are pretty much visual scripting but you can do crazy things with them.  UE4 has a TOOOOOOOON of free learning resources  and content

Well recommending a somewhat 3a engine to a newbie isn't always the best path

If you know any programming languages you can start easy with things like tic tac toe or pong

Well recommending a somewhat 3a engine to a newbie isn't always the best path

its actually unreal to see how easy unreal is to use...pun intended. 

Unity3D is even easier. 

Then you have all those tools for people who can't butch up enough to learn how to program.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

If you know any programming languages you can start easy with things like tic tac toe or pong

This ^

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

My first game was vanilla java connect 4. Don't try to start big you need to learn how to script your mechanics rather than build a game on a 3a engine that you don't understand

My first game was vanilla java connect 4. Don't try to start big you need to learn how to script your mechanics rather than build a game on a 3a engine that you don't understand

Have you looked at UE4, you can make games without writing a single line of code.  

Have you looked at UE4, you can make games without writing a single line of code.  

How will you ever be able to write a game if you can't write the code to script mechanics. I dabbled in udk/unity a couple years back and they're so incredibly limited without scripting

How will you ever be able to write a game if you can't write the code to script mechanics. I dabbled in udk/unity a couple years back and they're so incredibly limited without scripting

Blueprints are UE4's scripting, it's visual scripting.  You script the mechanics using blueprints, you don't need to write the code in C++.  You CAN do it in C++, you can even write your own Blueprint Functions in C++ and you can use a mix of Blueprints and C++ to make a game but you can also make the entire game using nothing but Blueprints.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I've made 3 projects with Unity and 1 with UE4. Although they were all basically school projects adapeted to be doable in a 3D engine and only the UE4 one really resembled a "game". Also with UE4 I didn't need to code a single line while with my unity projects I had to google C# scripts since I barely knew anything about programing at that time. You should pick based on your skill level and then make sure that your skills shine through.