New intel sandy bridge-e CPU 3910K

SSOB

I think it's the replacement to the 3820.

Sort of the gateway to the Z79 chipset.

When the 8320 came out it was significantly cheaper than the current top of the line non E processor. (i7 2600k) And performed a little better than it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=287

That's my guess. That its the replacement to the 3820. releasing it before ivy-E comes out.

Could be but I doubt that I think they just wanted a cheaper 6 core and the 3930K's that wont validate have to go somewhere. Just so you know its X79. All enthusiast chipsets for some time have started with an X (X38, X58, X79).

Yes It sis that has always been the case its the entry level enthusiast chip. Why would it preform better on cpu oriented benchmarks when is at the same price (sometimes cheaper) with same core count and same architecture?

This is awesome news really, six cores for $350 and it is unlocked. Win. They should have had this chip out a long long time ago....

Agreed even if it was $400 I would have bitten for the extra cores but with Ivy-E here shortly im just going to pick one of those up as an upgrade from my 3820.

That's not what happens. They do that when process yields chips with one or two cores non functioning within their spec. Maybe this means the core does not work at all or it may mean it needs to much voltage or produces too much heat.

For the record, this happened very often on the Phenom II X2 and X3 chips. Bios settings could unlock the "locked" cores on some cpus that AMD deemed non-functioning. Also happened on the reference Radeon 6950 card where you could install 6970 BIOS and have access to extra steam processors.

Most of what you say there is true. Though the 3960X is a toned down Xeon. Which has up to ten cores. The 3960/70X is actually just fused off and the reasoning from Intel back when it was released, was that to keep the cores included would bump the TDP and Intel deemed 130W TDP the max for desktop users.

Well, that's what they said, anyways. I'm a little pissed off that the IB-E chips aren't going to be 8 cores. Come on, seriously, Intel?

There are still people with i5s (like me) and i3s who are gonna upgrade real soon that haven't with the launch of Haswell CPUs. This would be an amazing upgrade considering the value.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

There are still people with i5s (like me) and i3s who are gonna upgrade real soon that haven't with the launch of Haswell CPUs. This would be an amazing upgrade considering the value.

Depending on which generation you cpu is you may very well be "upgrading"  to the same or even older cpu architecture and since youll have to buy a new board your probably better waiting for Ivy. This another reason why this cpu doesnt make sense and has to be intel just trying to get rid of some cpu's. 

Sandy Bridge-e will be able use the same socket as Ivy-e so this might be an attempt to provide a cheaper version for people wishing to switch to 2011 and upgrade CPU later, I mean it's not like the architecture is going to make this completely useless, especially for desktop machines. Still, they should have released it earlier.

Looks like they are just the reject pile after thermal testing of 3930Ks that Intel have saved up over the year, then bring them to market as a lower priced chip. Could still be good though, just a worse overclocker.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

For anyone already with a SandyBridge-E platform, this is useless. UNLESS, they've gotten the 3820 because they wanted X79 features but couldn't afford the 3930k or something. Because the 3930k is around £440 so I'm guessing just over $500 over in the US. So a $350 hex-core is kinda awesome.

To the guy who said: 'not worth it, buy a 4770k'.... No. If you need/(want) 6 cores, for example, video editing, the 4770k is way behind. Plus, 3930Ks often hit 5GHz with ease. At least 4.8GHz stable is pretty safe to assume. I mean, I have a pretty bad chip and it'll still do 4.8 no problem.

$550 USD to be exact.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

What happened to the other 2 cores. Why doesn't intel just make it 8 core instead of 6.

Probably something to do with heat output and voltage requirements and then some idiot putting the chip on some cheap board and burning out the VRM

Probably something to do with heat output and voltage requirements and then some idiot putting the chip on some cheap board and burning out the VRM

Yea, Slick said something similar on the WAN show. 

Theory is....

An 8 core i7 would be awesome. An 8 core i7 overclocked will be a nuclear reactor that no hardware is prepared for....and Intel doesn't want to deal with that. Stock 8 core xeons, no problem.... because the heat and power is controlled because the chip is locked. 

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Yea, Slick said something similar on the WAN show. 

Theory is....

An 8 core i7 would be awesome. An 8 core i7 overclocked will be a nuclear reactor that no hardware is prepared for....and Intel doesn't want to deal with that. Stock 8 core xeons, no problem.... because the heat and power is controlled because the chip is locked. 

Why not make it partial unlocked? Would really love to see an Intel 8-core unlocked CPU in the socket 2011 still! :P

Why not make it partial unlocked? Would really love to see an Intel 8-core unlocked CPU in the socket 2011 still! :P

What do you mean by partially unlocked? If your taking about the multiplier which is what unlocked refers to and the K signifies, all intel cpu's are partially unlocked.

Edit: All Intel consumer CPU's.

Awesome news for those looking to get into X79 and hexacore chips.  Useless to me since I already have a 3930k.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

• 1 month later...

Intel should have had this chip from day 1 with x79, still this is a great buy for those building work stations.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X