Looking for reasons why PSUs keep blowing up.

SpyRosL

Hey guys,long time since i've been in the forum :|

So,here's my problem. I came back from vacations and went straight ahead to my PC to power it up. The moment i pressed the button,the power fuse of the whole house went down(everything was fine b4 and noone touched my pc). i was pretty sure it was the PSU(corsair CX600). I went to the store..waited couple weeks and -because the same PSU was out of the market-,i end up with my replacement, coolermaster G650M for only 10 more bucks.

I take it home,assemble everything,fire it up and go to bios to set things up including a moderate OC to 4.1ghz at 1.2v.Go to desktop -everything fine for 1-2 minutes- and then i see a sparkle from the PSU aaaand dead..again.

There are only 2 things that i can think it's causing this. 1st,i don't have a surge protector so something there (which is highly unlikely since i never has surge protector in my whole life and nothing happened) or 2nd, something is wrong with the motherboard.

What i'm asking is if there's a 3rd reason that i haven't thought and if it is possible at all for the mobo to be causing this. My specs are in signature.

Ps* i should mention that my system is sitting on a harcoded cover of a book because reasons.

Thanks in advance!

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Is everything connected to that breaker?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I guess the 3rd reason is bad luck.  :D

| CPU: i5-4460 | GPU: GTX 750Ti Twin Frozr | Motherboard: Asus H97M-Plus | Ram: 2x4gb Kinkston ValueRam | CPU Cooler: Rajintek Aidos | PSU: Corsair VS550 | Storage: Kingston SSDNOW V300 120gb & 1TB WD Blue | Case: Sharkoon T28 Red | Case coolers: 3 Cooler Master SickleFlow Red Led | 

| HP ProBook 650 G1 | i5-4200M | Ram: 4gb | 500gb HDD |

I would just put a damn surge protector on your computer then =P

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Might be a short in the plug rather than the PSU. Try a throw-away item, like a table lamp, and see if it does the same thing.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Is everything connected to that breaker?

Can you elaborate? i don't know what breaker is :|

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Circuit breaker, google it :)

Sam

:D

Might be a short in the plug rather than the PSU. Try a throw-away item, like a table lamp, and see if it does the same thing.

the plug is working fine. right now it runs my monitor,my laptop and a fan

Breakers are connected to circuits that deliver power to your outlets. Their job is to cut the line if the powers exceeds specifications.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

it ahs switches that control power to different parts of your house.  in your garage outside or in your house/rooms

It's not anything in your PC. You're going to have to call an electrician, something's wrong with the power outlet.

Breakers are connected to circuits that deliver power to your outlets. Their job is to cut the line if the powers exceeds specifications.

Not everything,just the outlets of my room. what is strange is that it should go down without frying the PSU but it did,twice

It's not anything in your PC. You're going to have to call an electrician, something's wrong with the power outlet.

Can i 100% quote you on that?

Not everything,just the outlets of my room. what is strange is that it should go down without frying the PSU but it did,twice

I meant is the PC and monitor(s) connected to it? But everything would be if all outlets in your room lead to the same breaker.

I meant is the PC and monitor(s) connected to it? But everything would be if all outlets in your room lead to the same breaker.

Yes,i guess so. I run everything on an extension lead without a surge protector connected to the outlet.

Sorry if you mean something else and I don't get it.

Yes,i guess so. I run everything on an extension lead without a surge protector connected to the outlet.

Sorry if you mean something else and I don't get it.

What are your system specs?

If the PSU couldn't handle the voltage, it would shut down anyway or simply wouldn't power on.

everything is in my signature as i already said in the OP.

If the PSU couldn't handle the voltage, it would shut down anyway or simply wouldn't power on.

Amperage* That's assuming the protection circuitry is functional. All power supplies are required to handle around the same voltage.

Amperage* That's assuming the protection circuitry is functional. All power supplies are required to handle around the same voltage.

If he tried two different PSUs, it's obviously it's the outlet.

OP, what are your specs?

If he tried two different PSUs, it's obviously it's the outlet.

OP, what are your specs?

Specs in the signature...

What doesn't make sense is that outlet is working fine right now and it was always fine till that day. I will probably get the new psu in a couple days with surge protection in the outlet and if it happens again,something is wrong with the motherboard.

Specs in the signature...

What doesn't make sense is that outlet is working fine right now and it was always fine till that day. I will probably get the new psu in a couple days with surge protection in the outlet and if it happens again,something is wrong with the motherboard.

im 95% sure it is your PC, if the problem were the outlet you wouldnt be using a monitor, laptop and fan from it, maybe is your Mobo, or your chasis touching something shouldnt be touched, next time try using the PC outside the case to see if the problem persists.

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

im 95% sure it is your PC, if the problem were the outlet you wouldnt be using a monitor, laptop and fan from it, maybe is your Mobo, or your chasis touching something shouldnt be touched, next time try using the PC outside the case to see if the problem persists.

my pc is outside the case sitting on a book with hardcoded cover which i think is non-static. I had to move for the summer and i wanted the pc to come with me but the case wouldn't fit inside the suitcase so i took all the hardware except the case with me. Not very smart but it works.

Note: pc was working fine for 2 straight months without the case so that is 100% not the problem.