Projects that are easy for beginners?

XDroidie626

So I am looking at a bit of programming to pass the time, I have very little experience, I know how variables work but that is about as far as I go.

So projects and in what language?

Many thanks!

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

You pick the language, just what ever you like.

Don't do a calculator like everyone says do something useful or fun.

I would make a little betting game, rolls a number if it's higher than the number you picked you lose if it is lower you win.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Hangman isn't a bad starter I find. Start with hard programmed words and then move to reading a file

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Try and make some calculators on Visual Studio.

It is really easy and a lot of fun if you have limited knowledge.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

For learning how to organise and structure code and how to optimise it, I usually suggest like a choose your own adventure text based game. Plot, sub plot. Long winding paths. See if you can get the whole game down to essentially 3 or 4 functions. Winning, losing, choice, tracking etc. And if you're feeling a bit more confident and your language easily supports it, change it up a bit from just text, add pictures, video, graphics, database stat tracking, achievements. Build and build until you're happy. But hey, do whatever

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

might try make a basic game to play, I have coded before but it was a simple ordering system in vb.net and it was that long ago I cant remember lol.

Might try Java, Android port :P

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

might try make a basic game to play, I have coded before but it was a simple ordering system in vb.net and it was that long ago I cant remember lol.

Might try Java, Android port :P

Vb.net I cannot stand anymore. That language has no semicolons decide end of lines..

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Vb.net I cannot stand anymore. That language has no semicolons decide end of lines..

Semi colons are stupid.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

try python

EDIT: there are some programs like scratch and kodu that don't need ANY programming knowledge but it is just a VERY BASIC introduction to coding

EDIT 2: 

get on codeacademy.

it's an online coding lessons

I keep recommending this interactive book. I don't know if people have actually tried it, but it's really worth the time. Plenty of exercises and opportunity to try code. It's definitely superior to what you'll get on codeacademy.

Semi colons are stupid.

Please could you guys stay on topic. It'd be really sad if this turned out in something as stupid as a tabs vs spaces debate.

On Topic:

There is tons of stuff you can do. As a game programmer, I always recommend building games, but you can do anything. I don't know what language you are programming in, but whatever it is, try to draw some graphics on the screen and make something like space invaders or arkanoid.

So I am looking at a bit of programming to pass the time, I have very little experience, I know how variables work but that is about as far as I go.

So projects and in what language?

Many thanks!

I just started a list for projects at all levels, check it out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

I just started a list for projects at all levels, check it out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

Good timing, Ill have a crack at them :)

Thanks!

well in terms of language i started with c# cant say if its the easiest but it seved me well. in terms of project i find fizzbuzz always an interesting project or programming game if you have programmer buddys. fizzbuzz is actually just a method that will return you the numbers from 1 to 100 but every time a number is dividable by 3 it says fizz instead of the number. same goes for 5 and buzz. and if a number is dividable by 3 and 5 it says fizzbuzz. the is pretty simple but there are drinking games which can be made out of very simple projects :D so... yeah...

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3