Crazy Temps under load? or just stupid software?

Go to solution Solved by DXMember,

Heres with Aida64

Ds2PE1B.jpg

woooow.... step down your voltage... Haswell doesn't like to go above 1.3V make it like 1.27 or 1.26

that is pretty hot indeed

So, I was having issues with idle temps on my 4790k using the h100i.  I figured out the backplate was rather loose so I went to Home Depot and picked up some rubber washers to get better contact with the cpu.  My idle temps now sit around 32-38 C, which is absolutely fine.  I decided since the Idle was fine, why not go test out the cpu under load?  A quick download of Prime 95 and I was ready to go.  I had corsair link popped up in the background.  I started off small, I did a small test to push the cpu to full load and then Blam.  100 C + temps on that thing!  I thought, oh yeah right.  I downloaded Open Hardware monitor.  Sure enough I see CPU core at 98 C or so.  But below that I see all of the CPU Temps.  They were sitting at lower 70's to mid 70's.

Should I be worried about this?  or should I ignore it and look at the Temps I see on Open Hardware Monitor below the CPU core?

2pzkPVx.jpg

(I've probably made more topics about this damn cpu and cooling it than I would like, as always any info is appreciated.  I just want this thing to run fast and cool) =P  Tis a dream

Only the individual core temps are relevant,

you can ignore the package temp as long the individual cores are good.

Different motherboards will have different placements of sensors and nobody really knows what the reported package temperature is, it might be a misread

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Only the individual core temps are relevant,

you can ignore the package temp as long the individual cores are good.

Different motherboards will have different placements of sensors and nobody really knows what the reported package temperature is, it might be a misread

I'll re run it for about a minute and pay attention to the CPU specific temps, instead of the core.

if it matters, the mobo is an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S

I'll re run it for about a minute and pay attention to the CPU specific temps, instead of the core.

if it matters, the mobo is an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S

post back with a screen shot

also try opening a CPU-Z and watch your clock speed,

if the multiplier stays at turbo boost speeds all the time and individual core temps are looking good, then you are perfectly fine, and just ignore the package temp

btw I have a random Motherboard Temp pop up ocasionaly that reads 127*C but it's there only sometimes, I tend to not look at it.. it's perfectly fine

938Ypyb.png

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

@DXMember I found online that 4770k's and 4790k's dont really read well with prime95.  I will try with Aida64 real quick.  Im getting the same temps (83 average but goes into upper 90's frequently).

@DXMember I found online that 4770k's and 4790k's dont really read well with prime95.  I will try with Aida64 real quick.  Im getting the same temps (83 average but goes into upper 90's frequently).

watch only individual core temps with '#'

post a screenshot

None of the Haswells like p95, they tend to get very hot very fast

watch only individual core temps with '#'

post a screenshot

None of the Haswells like p95, they tend to get very hot very fast

Heres with Aida64

Ds2PE1B.jpg

Heres with Aida64

Ds2PE1B.jpg

woooow.... step down your voltage... Haswell doesn't like to go above 1.3V make it like 1.27 or 1.26

I think my asus motherboard did an auto run when I first started up bios.  That could be the issue this whole time.

I'll jump into bios and set to factory default, or set max voltage to 1.26.

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH BETTER!!!

Thanks for spotting that voltage, I would have been clueless and my cpu would have been fried in a few years at that rate.  

8rJqmmE.jpg

I guess Asus decided to run EZ tweak Overclocking.  And I just took it as regular bios setup and whatnot.  I set it all back to stock default and temps across the board are much more stable.