electro/metal scratching sound in CPU area

dep3kuj

Hello guys,

I have that kind of a problem, that I am getting some really annoying scratching noice from CPU area. As more intensive graphics I have on my screen the worse souding effects I get. It's not the fans (cuz I stopped each of them manually with my finger).

At the same time I am also getting some crazy HWmonitor results on my CPU package temps. In idle I am getting 75-80, 80-95 C while browsing the internet, and while some gaming like BF4 I get 110-114 C. But the funny thing is that it's not really that hot! I mean when in touch CPU radiator with my fingers while gaming it's just very very warm, but not hot! My GPU is getting around 70-80 C and according to my feelings GPU feels like 2 times hotter (backplate for an example). And while I am typing this text HWmonitor show 71C, but cpu radiator feels almost cool. So I dont really believe it... temp sensor fail?

Every other temps are just fine like it should be, I guess.
Also at the moment I have an open case, extra fan is blowing on my north bridge, everything is getting nice cooling + I've setted every fan in bios to work on full speed.

In bios my CPU shows stable 60-64 C.

Also as an example scrathing\electric sound is getting stronger when I scroll web page with my wheel.

While gaming I also sometimes get micro-freezes (maybe every 20-30 mins) for like 1-2 sec which are happening simultaneously with scratching rhytm.

MoBo is new, got it from service center, where it was checked.  Everything was just fine according to the words of people that work there.

specs:

asrock fm2a88x extreme 4+

r9 280

Athlon 860k (stock cooler)

4gb crucial x2

coolermaster 600b v2.0

WD blue 1tb

I also was getting some strange jumping cpu frequency with stock bios setting (It was jumping like 2,7ghz to 3,7ghz to 2,9ghz etc) so I've setted power saving feature off, turbo boost off, setted multipl to x40 4GHZ without changing the voltage ( it's 1,3something I guess) and now I am getting stable 3.991 GHZ on my cpuz monitor.

Any ideas? Cuz, to be honest, I am really scared about it...

With all respect, do you read what I've written?)
it's not the fans, cuz I stopped each and every one of them manually and the scratching/dubstep sound remains.
And if temp would really be that high then my fingers would be burned by now. 

SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER NOW. THAT IS NOT SAFE BORDERLINE DANGEROUS.

Main Rig: Intel i7 3930k @4.0GHz---8GB Ballistix @1600MHz---Asus P9X79 Pro---Samsung 840 Pro 128GB---3TB HDD Config---2x GTX 780Ti 3GB---Windows 7 Ultimate

Laptop: Late 2012 13" Retina MacBook Pro---2.5GHz Dual i5---8GB DDR3 @1600MHz---128GB PCI-E SSD---Intel HD4000 1GB---OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Phone: Nexus 4

Could it be the dust in the cooler heatsink, fans?

the temps - if the heatsink feels cool to the touch, make sure it has contact with CPU heatsink, if it still reports those temps, then the sensor is just faulty

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

No, it's all new from the box, double checked. I've even changed preapplied thermal paste to Spire Thermal grease.

No, it's all new from the box, double checked. I've even changed preapplied thermal paste to Spire Thermal grease.

well then it's just a faulty sensor, try returning the cpu

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

With all respect, do you read what I've written?)

it's not the fans, cuz I stopped each and every one of them manually and the scratching/dubstep sound remains.

And if temp would really be that high then my fingers would be burned by now. 

the problem may be with the interface between your cpu and heatsink. do you have any thermal compund you can use for a raplication?

but cpu radiator feels almost cool. 

Athlon 860k (stock cooler)

?

the problem may be with the interface between your cpu and heatsink. do you have any thermal compund you can use for a raplication?

I reapplied it 2 times, it's fine. Btw back metal plate plate (on the other side of mobo, behind the cpu) is also just very very warm, considerably hot (but surly not 114C) under heavy load like BF4, consudering it's only passivly cooled by surrounding air.

?

Ok, stock cooling solution from AMD. That will be more accurate :)

I reapplied it 2 times, it's fine. Btw back metal plate plate (on the other side of mobo, behind the cpu) is also just very very warm, considerably hot (but surly not 114C) under heavy load like BF4, consudering it's only passivly cooled by surrounding air.

Ok, stock cooling solution from AMD. That will be more accurate :)

I didn't realise the Athlons came with an AIO water cooler tbh. If it really was 114c you'd know about it lol 

I didn't realise the Athlons came with an AIO water cooler tbh. If it really was 114c you'd know about it lol 

Seems that I messed something here =)

Here is the stock Athlon cooling solution www.chillblast.com/images/P/600px-AMD_Athlon_II_X4_630_heatsink-fan.jpg

THAT IS WAY TOO HIGH OF TEMPS!

SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER NOW. THAT IS NOT SAFE BORDERLINE DANGEROUS.

Chill bro. If it was really that hot, the computer would have shut itself off long ago...

OP: My first guess is Power supply, not CPU. My next one would be Mobo, and then CPU. 

in my life, i've seen ONE cpu fail, ever. 

Take a tube (Paper towel roll, for example) and put it up to your ear. Then move the other end of the tube throughout the machine, putting it next to the CPU, psu, gpu, etc until you find the true source of the sound.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Chill bro. If it was really that hot, the computer would have shut itself off long ago...

OP: My first guess is Power supply, not CPU. My next one would be Mobo, and then CPU. 

in my life, i've seen ONE cpu fail, ever. 

Take a tube (Paper towel roll, for example) and put it up to your ear. Then move the other end of the tube throughout the machine, putting it next to the CPU, psu, gpu, etc until you find the true source of the sound.

PSU is fine, it's cool and quite. I've already even took it away from the case to listen. No sounds from it (I've located it on the bottom of the case and sound comes from the top where all CPU things are located).

Mobo is fine as the temps tell me. HWmonitor shows temps like this one temps.jpg

I suppose those temps of mobo are OK.

Tried this "tube mode :D", but only thing I can tell, that the sound probably comes somewhere from the cpu bottom line. But I might be wrong.

Btw could this strange sound be from vram module. While digging the web I've found that it could be respnating capasitors or smthing like that?

Update:
So I took all the components from my pc case and made an open stand. As my ears tell me the scratching sound comes from GPU. The GPU itself works just fine, I did not overclock it or something like that. More specificly the sound comes from the area, that is closer to my asrock fm2a88x extreme4+ south bridge.

Abot the CPU temps: in bios my systems seems to show the cpu temp correctly, cuz radiator gets very very warm and the number is 63C. 

When looking in windows using HWmonitor it still shows almost 80C in idle and hitting 100C even if I play League of Legends.

So I strongly believe that it's the sensor failure. But who knows...

Seems that I messed something here =)

Here is the stock Athlon cooling solution www.chillblast.com/images/P/600px-AMD_Athlon_II_X4_630_heatsink-fan.jpg

You mentioned CPU radiator.

lel i doubt any cpu package would last more than 5 mins at 100c+ since its mostly plastic

Update:
So I decided that HWmonitor was showing some seriously wrong staff, so I downloaded my mobo utility and SpeedFan. Tested with prime95 and got these results

temps2.jpg

So as far as I can tell HW monitor is not working properly with my hardware. 
And 66C on 3.5Ghz 100% load with stock cooler isn't bad.

The problem with scratching sound remains. Is it common for a GPU to make these coil whining sound? Because mine is too strong. If PCcase is opened I can hear it from the opposite corner of my room :D
Should I try to RMA?

Update:

So I decided that HWmonitor was showing some seriously wrong staff, so I downloaded my mobo utility and SpeedFan. Tested with prime95 and got these results

temps2.jpg

So as far as I can tell HW monitor is not working properly with my hardware. 

And 66C on 3.5Ghz 100% load with stock cooler isn't bad.

The problem with scratching sound remains. Is it common for a GPU to make these coil whining sound? Because mine is too strong. If PCcase is opened I can hear it from the opposite corner of my room :D

Should I try to RMA?

Go ahead and attempt an RMA, some manufacturers do accept it for coil whine.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I had a talk today with the shop where I bought my gpu and I've been told that I could try RMA my gpu, but it wont be 100% warranty case. Manufacturer can replace it but it's not certain, cuz gpu itself works fine. Plus I'll have to wait more than a month to actually get any answer. That's really sad, cuz that long waiting drives me crazy more than this coil whine does (just got my mobo RMA a few days ago, waited 40 days...).

So I tried to google to the very depts of the internet for any info.

I've found something. Maybe my psu (which is CM 600b v2.0) has some power saving features that are turned on by default and I need to put it in perfomanse mode. Idk if it is possible. Suggestions?

Next on the list is grounding. As far as I can tell my room has grounding where you plug in the power cable. But who knows, maybe I try some extra grounding?

And the last one is drivers. That is interesting, cuz when I had my OS just installed and had No drivers on my gpu, it was deadly silent. And I dont get any coil whine while I am in bios and I get almost no coil whine when I am just on my desktop. When I start to select some shortcuts or do anything that makes any mivement on the screen - coil whine begins.

My cpu is slightly overclocked (4.0 ghz, want to try 4,2 or 4,5 cuz I just got my new cpu aftermarket heatsink)

You mentioned CPU radiator.

A heatsink is a radiator. It's mainly designed to take and radiate heat with its larger surface area of mostly highly heat-conductive metal, which is what most radiators do.

Sig under construction.

A heatsink is a radiator. It's mainly designed to take and radiate heat with its larger surface area of mostly highly heat-conductive metal, which is what most radiators do.

For some reason I always think of convective rather than passive when radiators mentioned. 

I had a talk today with the shop where I bought my gpu and I've been told that I could try RMA my gpu, but it wont be 100% warranty case. Manufacturer can replace it but it's not certain, cuz gpu itself works fine. Plus I'll have to wait more than a month to actually get any answer. That's really sad, cuz that long waiting drives me crazy more than this coil whine does (just got my mobo RMA a few days ago, waited 40 days...).

So I tried to google to the very depts of the internet for any info.

I've found something. Maybe my psu (which is CM 600b v2.0) has some power saving features that are turned on by default and I need to put it in perfomanse mode. Idk if it is possible. Suggestions?

Next on the list is grounding. As far as I can tell my room has grounding where you plug in the power cable. But who knows, maybe I try some extra grounding?

And the last one is drivers. That is interesting, cuz when I had my OS just installed and had No drivers on my gpu, it was deadly silent. And I dont get any coil whine while I am in bios and I get almost no coil whine when I am just on my desktop. When I start to select some shortcuts or do anything that makes any mivement on the screen - coil whine begins.

My cpu is slightly overclocked (4.0 ghz, want to try 4,2 or 4,5 cuz I just got my new cpu aftermarket heatsink)

There is no "Fix" for coil whine.

What GPU do you have?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler