Video Card PCI-E Placement?

WunderWuffle

I bought my brother a GTX DrectCU II 780 for his birthday, and he will SLI it few weeks down the road. He is using a Maximus VI Gene, so the PCI-E 16x slots are right next to each other. I heard that a person had this problem where his top 780 DCU II card was 20^C hotter than the bottom one because it was suffocating. Which cooler would perform better in this case? Reference 780 or DCU II? If the reference would perform better, I can always return the DCU II I bought him back to Amazon, and get a reference card...

Brother's Setup: 

Maximus VI Gene

AX860i

GTX 780 (he will SLI in a few weeks)

triple Asus PA248Q

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Can i become your new brother?  :rolleyes:

Sure. 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

but you could just water cool it 

But that would cost too much.

maybe he can use a PCIE extension cable.  

That looks to sketchy IMO

But that would cost too much.

That looks to sketchy IMO

then i say one refrence and one DCU ii

YES!!! so let`s cut to the chase where do you live and what`s you credit card number and PIN

1: I live in Houston, TX, USA

2: On the back of my credit card

3: Look at #2

But really, he has a job, a 3 year old boy, and a wife. You're always welcome to be my sister though. :D LOL

1: I live in Houston, TX, USA

2: On the back of my credit card

3: Look at #2

But really, he has a job, a 3 year old boy, and a wife. You're always welcome to be my sister though. :D LOL

nah i do not want to do a sex change i like it as it is now.

and do you have your pin on your credit card? if someone (me) steals it they can easily spend lot`s of your money on GPUs (and it ruins the idea of a pin)

then i say one refrence and one DCU ii

The OCD would kill him.

never said it would look good.

Best response, EVER.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Best response, EVER.

no my best one was when I was playing LoL and I was doing horrible.  Someone started complain and all i did was wright "Bro I'm eating gummy bears"

Uh, Im probably going to return the DCU II and get a reference card. I dont think he would want to use extension cables, I dont wanna have 1 reference, one custom, so yeah. Both reference blower cards... If anyone else thinks the DCU II cards aren't going to be overheating and/or suffocating, please let me know. Im going to wait it out, and see if there are any more replies.

I actually ran 2x GTX 680 Direct CU II Top cards for over a year and I never had such a problem, plus those were triple slot coolers. The most important thing is to have good airflow in your case. However I would generally recommend reference cards for more than 2 cards or for smaller cases/mobos where the cards would be closer together.

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I actually ran 2x GTX 680 Direct CU II Top cards for over a year and I never had such a problem, plus those were triple slot coolers. The most important thing is to have good airflow in your case. However I would generally recommend reference cards for more than 2 cards or for smaller cases/mobos where the cards would be closer together.

How were the temps?

How were the temps?

They rarely went over 60c, keep in mind I had a huge 230 fan blowing air directly onto them from the front of the case.

They rarely went over 60c, keep in mind I had a huge 230 fan blowing air directly onto them from the front of the case.

... If I can persuade him to save up for a bit longer, and not buy another 780 for a while... He could potentially WC it...

you could put a peice of ruber in between the too cards to separate them a little.

you could put a peice of ruber in between the too cards to separate them a little.

Worst case scenario: The GPU's get hot, the piece of rubber starts to slip, then 10 minutes later, it falls into one of the fans and screws everything up. Im good. Sorry guys, he's really picky :(

... If I can persuade him to save up for a bit longer, and not buy another 780 for a while... He could potentially WC it...

I wouldn't suggest going all the way for water cooling just for this reason. If he likes the looks and wants higher overclocks then sure, but you can fix this by simply getting a fan to blow on them (sounds bad :D ). What case is he using? Can he mount front fans? Maybe remove a hardrive cage that might be in the way?

Watercooling is the way to go in this case. The problem with the Gene boards is that the spacing between PCI-E interfaces is only two slots wide and one of them will run hot because it will just suck in the lower cards heat output. It could also get pretty loud because of the restriction.

I wouldn't suggest going all the way for water cooling just for this reason. If he likes the looks and wants higher overclocks then sure, but you can fix this by simply getting a fan to blow on them (sounds bad :D ). What case is he using? Can he mount front fans? Maybe remove a hardrive cage that might be in the way?

CaseLabs SM5.