I5-4460 or a 4690k

Im looking to upgrade my old fx4100@4.5gHz to something a little bit more futureproof

The title says the rest :-)

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | I5-4690k| Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS RX480 |  Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb|

Playstation Pulse Headset Corsair Air 540 | Deiog DY-200 | AOC G2460Fq 

Dell Keyboard | 6x BeQuiet Silent Wings PWM 120mm 

Built  Not Bought

It depends on pricing including the motherboard. If the extra power isn't necessary, the 4460 or 4440 with an appropriately cheaper motherboard is usually the better option.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4690k with a z97 mobo

Forgot to write that im going to pair either the 4460 pr the 4690k with my 780ti :-)

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | I5-4690k| Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS RX480 |  Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb|

Built  Not Bought

Forgot to write that im going to pair either the 4460 pr the 4690k with my 780ti :-)

4690k i also recommend this board i have the same one and its amazing 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

It depends on pricing including the motherboard. If the extra power isn't necessary, the 4460 or 4440 with an appropriately cheaper motherboard is usually the better option.

4690k i also recommend this board i have the same one and its amazing

I have been looking at the gigabyte z97x-sli.

Will the 4690k be able to do 2x 780ti if i plan to upgrade later on? :-)

Built  Not Bought

I have been looking at the gigabyte z97x-sli.

Will the 4690k be able to do 2x 780ti if i plan to upgrade later on? :-)

yh it can do sli an i think luke or linus did a review on this board 

Im looking to upgrade my old fx4100@4.5gHz to something a little bit more futureproof

The title says the rest :-)

Let me just say i have a 4690k and i oced it to 4.6 ghz, gaining a total of 0 FPS in games, so if you are hell bent on saving whatever is the difference with or without the K go for it

Let me just say i have a 4690k and i oced it to 4.6 ghz, gaining a total of 0 FPS in games, so if you are hell bent on saving whatever is the difference with or without the K go for it

Im going to play bf4 at ultra settings on a 1080p 60hz panel :-)

Built  Not Bought

But nonetheless i want to be futureproof :-)

Built  Not Bought

if you have already got the 780ti dont worry but the 970 is just under £300 and the 780 is like £350 

Future proofing will defenetly not be achieved through a K or non K model, i would be achieved through more cores, and if you take a look at lukes video on core scaling,

you will see that even that doesn't matter.

A CPU almost never needs to be changed once you got a good one

Future proofing will defenetly not be achieved through a K or non K model, i would be achieved through more cores, and if you take a look at lukes video on core scaling,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVl8Eupbr_E

My fx4100@4.5gHz needs a replacement! :D

Built  Not Bought

if you have already got the 780ti dont worry but the 970 is just under £300 and the 780 is like £350

Im not worried about my gpu, its All about the cpu and mobo right now. My 780ti will hold on in alot more years :-)

Built  Not Bought

if rendering 4690k,if just gaming get 4460

Im gonna game, but will a 4460 last as kong as my 780ti?

Built  Not Bought

Im gonna game, but will a 4460 last as kong as my 780ti?

The 4460 would probably last longer in both categories  of 'not dying as soon' and 'not needing to be upgraded as soon' for gaming.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have 4460 and its great for gaming. But if you are upgrading to SLI or going to OC get 4690k.

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

That's a stupid answer, a 4690k can run sli 980tis, of course it's future proof smh, it's better than any amd cpu

You're forgetting you can't oc a non k and maybe your system is being bottlenecked by say 5% and that 5% could be achieved by overclocking.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

That's a stupid answer, a 4690k can run sli 980tis, of course it's future proof smh, it's better than any amd cpu

You're forgetting you can't oc a non k and maybe your system is being bottlenecked by say 5% and that 5% could be achieved by overclocking.

I think you should first take into consideration the price range of the guy that posted the question.

Then again who does 980ti sli? Reading the forums you would think everyone is running triple 144hz 4k displays so they would need sli 980tis and titan x's.

And im not forgeting that you cant oc a non K model, i said you cant oc a non K model, and i have to say i love the statistic of the 5% bit where do people come up with this stuff.

And some who's shelling out almost 2k $ for sli gpus he might as well get an i7 k and not worry about anything.

I think you should first take into consideration the price range of the guy that posted the question.

Then again who does 980ti sli? Reading the forums you would think everyone is running triple 144hz 4k displays so they would need sli 980tis and titan x's.

And im not forgeting that you cant oc a non K model, i said you cant oc a non K model, and i have to say i love the statistic of the 5% bit where do people come up with this stuff.

And some who's shelling out almost 2k $ for sli gpus he might as well get an i7 k and not worry about anything.

Im not gonna get an i7, there's no reason for That :-)

Built  Not Bought

Im not gonna get an i7, there's no reason for That :-)

Right its better to save the differance between the two I5 and get a better gpu then to get a K edition

Right its better to save the differance between the two I5 and get a better gpu then to get a K edition

Ive decided to wait until skylake and then buy a i5 k-edition

Built  Not Bought

Ive decided to wait until skylake and then buy a i5 k-edition

You should be aware that iteration after iteration the CPU OC capability is going down.

But if you can wait you should defiantly wait.

You should be aware that iteration after iteration the CPU OC capability is going down.

But if you can wait you should defiantly wait.

I dont know what iteration means, but yes, i can wait

Built  Not Bought