Looking for Graphics Card upgrade suggestions

Hello all I am an avid gamer and I have been gaming on the GTX 660ti for 2 years now and it has done me well but I think it is time for an upgrade. I understand that on july 15 there is a big amazon prime sale going so I am seeking to add a few cards to my cart. I was thinking of the GTX 970 because it seemed good for my price point.

My question is is the 970 going to be a huge noticeable upgrade from the 660ti? Are there any AMD cards that are of similar price range but better?

Thanks for the help.

Hello all I am an avid gamer and I have been gaming on the GTX 660ti for 2 years now and it has done me well but I think it is time for an upgrade. I understand that on july 15 there is a big amazon prime sale going so I am seeking to add a few cards to my cart. I was thinking of the GTX 970 because it seemed good for my price point.

My question is is the 970 going to be a huge noticeable upgrade from the 660ti? Are there any AMD cards that are of similar price range but better?

Thanks for the help.

I second on the R9 390, it is a better card for usually less money and would last you a bit longer than a 970 would, and yes, anything from the R9 390/GTX970 and up will be a huge improvement on what you currently have.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

If your build isn't too good with heat dissipation, it'd probably be worth it to spend a little more to get an Nvidia over AMD. AMD runs hot. The GTX 970 is a great choice, and, if you're comfortable with it, can be overclocked to perform like a stock GTX 980. It's cheaper than the R9 390, too.

If your build isn't too good with heat dissipation, it'd probably be worth it to spend a little more to get an Nvidia over AMD. AMD runs hot. The GTX 970 is a great choice, and, if you're comfortable with it, can be overclocked to perform like a stock GTX 980.

The coolers on the 390's and refined power delivery make it much cooler he would have to have a case with a single exhaust fan to make it start to be a problem. 

If your build isn't too good with heat dissipation, it'd probably be worth it to spend a little more to get an Nvidia over AMD. AMD runs hot. The GTX 970 is a great choice, and, if you're comfortable with it, can be overclocked to perform like a stock GTX 980.

As long as he gets a good quality card from a 3rd party manufacturer it shouldn't be any hotter than an equivalent nVidia GPU.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium

This is true as the 390 coolers are beefy as fuck.

Yep, they're properly well built coolers on most of the third party GPU's, and I hate when people spread misinformation about AMD, no, they're not hotter running than nVidia, if you were to put the same cooler from the OEM version of the 290X onto a GTX980 it would run just as hot and be just as loud. The stock cooler was shite, that is true, but the third party coolers are properly designed to cool the GPU and apart from the pump whine on the Fury X even that works amazingly well for a stock solution.

Yep, they're properly well built coolers on most of the third party GPU's, and I hate when people spread misinformation about AMD, no, they're not hotter running than nVidia, if you were to put the same cooler from the OEM version of the 290X onto a GTX980 it would run just as hot and be just as loud. The stock cooler was shite, that is true, but the third party coolers are properly designed to cool the GPU and apart from the pump whine on the Fury X even that works amazingly well for a stock solution.

Yea and we thought the Vapor-X and Lightning coolers where the best they could do with a 290X, man they proved us wrong.

So if I am moving from an nvidia card to an amd card, is there anymore to the process than just removing the graphics card physically? Or do I have to uninstall the drivers?

So if I am moving from an nvidia card to an amd card, is there anymore to the process than just removing the graphics card physically? Or do I have to uninstall the drivers?

Yeah, you need to change the drivers

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

What you should do is download the drivers for the new GPU and also download Driver Sweeper as well.

Then uninstall the current GPU drivers through the Control Panel, but don't shut down just yet, then run Driver Sweeper to remove any remnants of the old drivers.

Shut down the system, do not restart, and unplug the old GPU and plug in the new GPU.

Start up the system and install the newest drivers that you downloaded earlier and then reboot.

That should be it, but if you run into issues then don't be afraid to ask, we'll do our best to help :)

Thanks for the help.

oh, i dont know about AMD.

But Dual GTX 780 Ti from linustechtips sounds fine. If you have the budget ofcourse :D.

:ph34r:      i5 4460 3.2 Ghz | Asrock Z87 Pro4 | DDR3 16Gb | GTX 760 | Seidon 120 V     :ph34r: