IBM Reveals They Have Made A 7nm Chip

The question is....IS IT OVERCLOCKABLE?

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Wait, why couldn't they make x86?

Because intel won't give them the patent (not because they wouldn't be capable to do it)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well that's unfortunate. And given that Intel owns x86, they aren't really going to license it to a company who's advancing faster than them.

bare in mind not all transistors are the same; it's possible that these 7nm ones would not be usable in an x86 cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well yea. But what does intel care about the consumer? As long as there selling product then.... And a monopoly would force people to buy there product. Unless everyone says "Hey intel is a being a douchebag, lets do something about it" and they change the whole industry and making lets say ARM the new norm.

Apparently you do not understand how macro economics works to well.

1) Monopolies in the US are Illegal.

2) Giving another company to be licensed to make a product allows competition for better innovation of product and further product development for more consumer happiness, more money made etc. and helps remove the problem of being a monopoly.

3) Intel does care about the consumer otherwise they would not be in the business of Making Product That Consumers Purchase.

4) Changing the industry to ARM would not be feasible as the cost would be quite high and everyone would hate ARM due to most likely those that produce it may take advantage and crank up prices.

5) ARM currently does not stand up to X86 architecture in terms of raw processing power (though they are getting there) including threading and other stuff.

6) ARM is also licensed out to other makers so your point in all this is mostly mute.

Side note;

IBM has been making CPUs for sometime. The reason so many people think they stopped is because they handed over all their consumer level production to Lenovo.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

bare in mind not all transistors are the same; it's possible that these 7nm ones would not be usable in an x86 cpu.

This is also true, thanks for pointing this out to me :)

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Well yea. But what does intel care about the consumer? As long as there selling product then.... And a monopoly would force people to buy there product. Unless everyone says "Hey intel is a being a douchebag, lets do something about it" and they change the whole industry and making lets say ARM the new norm.

They would have their pants sued off by the government for being anti-competitive and anti-consumer.

And yes Intel does own x86 (32-bit) but AMD owns amd64 also known as x86-64 (64-bit).

Intel and AMD have a cross-licensing deal to allow each other to both make x86 32 and 64-bit based CPUs.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit