My first build - help with CPU Cooler & PSU

Hi guys,

I have always wanted to build my own PC ever since I saw the insides of one (back in 2000 with all the cables everywhere), and finally, I'm at a stage in my life where I can afford to go out and get a system I'd love to use.

This is my configuration:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lxBY

Now I would've loved to get in a GTX780, but it's about $400 more than the ASUS GTX 770. (I'm from India, so it's quite a bit costlier here, or I'm searching at the wrong places)

My questions are:

a) Will the Corsair H100i fit on the top of the R4 in a Pull configuration with the MSI MPower motherboard, or should I get the H80i and fit it in the back? I'll be hoping to get this system to overclock to 4.whatever I can get that is stable.

b) Is the Seasonic X-series 850W power supply an overkill? Or ok, considering I might add another GPU down the road?

Thanks for all the invaluable resources already on this forum.

Hi guys,

I have always wanted to build my own PC ever since I saw the insides of one (back in 2000 with all the cables everywhere), and finally, I'm at a stage in my life where I can afford to go out and get a system I'd love to use.

Now I would've loved to get in a GTX780, but it's about $400 more than the ASUS GTX 770. (I'm from India, so it's quite a bit costlier here, or I'm searching at the wrong places)

My questions are:

a) Will the Corsair H100i fit on the top of the R4 in a Pull configuration with the MSI MPower motherboard, or should I get the H80i and fit it in the back? I'll be hoping to get this system to overclock to 4.whatever I can get that is stable.

B) Is the Seasonic X-series 850W power supply an overkill? Or ok, considering I might add another GPU down the road?

Yes, a H100i should fit in the top of a R4 

Yes, 850W is a bit of an overkill. If you could get a 600W Seasonic it would be perfect. 

Also what are you planning to do with the system?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Thank you!

I'm planning to use this as my main gaming rig, plus hopefully do quite a bit of photoshop and coding.

Thank you!

I'm planning to use this as my main gaming rig, plus hopefully do quite a bit of photoshop and coding.

Ok, I was just wondering why you had chosen to go with 16GB of RAM. 

For those purposes this look like a very solid system. 

And welcome to the forum

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I believe you will only need this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lyEe

An i5 is enough, for gaming he i7 and i5 have the same performance, and the i7 is more recommended for Video editing, and for Photoshop I believe the i5 is enough.

The MSI MPower is recommended for extreme overclockers, the Gaming series is what you need.

Samsung Pro have more write speeds, but with you described you won't use programs that will need lots of write speeds, so the non-pro is perfect for you.

I chose XFX PSU because is cheap and has good recommendations, is not like the Seasonic quality, but close, and a 550w Seasonic 80+ Gold is the same price as a 850x XFX 80+ gold.

And with that economy I've made on that plan rig, I managed to put the GTX 780 and a mechanical hard drive.

Photoshop uses OpenCL so the 7970 has wonderful performance/price here.

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lzRB

Crossfire ready.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Asrock is worse than Asus or MSI or Gigabyte. Grab the MS Mpower or Z87-G45 / Z87-GD65 as suggested before.

and as to GPU you need to think what's more important, gaming (GTX 780) or OpenCL (much faster in OpenCL apps is 7970). GTX 780 has CUDA support though. :)

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Thanks for the suggestions, @Masfiras, @WoodenMarker & @Dravic!

I think I'll go with the i5, since as you say, the i5 and i7 aren't that different in terms of gaming! :)

Is the 7970 comparable to the GTX780 btw?

Thanks so much for all the input! Editing some of my choices now. I'm so stocked to start on this build! Finally, a computer I can totally be proud of :)

Thanks for the suggestions, @Masfiras, @WoodenMarker & @Dravic!

I think I'll go with the i5, since as you say, the i5 and i7 aren't that different in terms of gaming! :)

Is the 7970 comparable to the GTX780 btw?

Thanks so much for all the input! Editing some of my choices now. I'm so stocked to start on this build! Finally, a computer I can totally be proud of :)

The 7970 will max out almost every game at 1080p.

Are the two cards comparable? Not really. The 780 is much more powerful but isn't a good value. They aren't even anywhere close in price. You can get 2 7970's for the price of a single 780. 

Check the description for the graphs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 7970 will max out almost every game at 1080p.

Are the two cards comparable? Not really. The 780 is much more powerful but isn't a good value. They aren't even anywhere close in price. You can get 2 7970's for the price of a single 780. 

Check the description for the graphs.

Thanks for the graph! The 780 does seem like a beast, with cost to match :)

Hi guys,

My questions are:

B) Is the Seasonic X-series 850W power supply an overkill? Or ok, considering I might add another GPU down the road?

A.) A 240MM radiator with standard 25MM fans SHOULD fit as long as it's a standard thin radiator.  Personally, The H100I has been having a high failure rate (Around 5%), so I'd recommend an H100 or an H220 from Swiftech or Water 3.0 from thermaltake.

B.) 2 770's can run safely on a 750W seasonic PSU, unless you're getting ones with dual 8 pin connectors like the Lightning edition.  As they can pull about 300W each (max theoretical is 375W).

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Asrock is worse than Asus or MSI or Gigabyte. Grab the MS Mpower or Z87-G45 / Z87-GD65 as suggested before.

and as to GPU you need to think what's more important, gaming (GTX 780) or OpenCL (much faster in OpenCL apps is 7970). GTX 780 has CUDA support though. :)

Idk about that.  The ASrock Extreme 4 Z77 won 15 awards last year setting a world record.  Can't say much about the Z87 version, but ASrock has stepped their game up.  Also an MSI Mpower board is about 230, GD65 is 200 and G45 is 150ish, that's a WIDE range man.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Idk about that.  The ASrock Extreme 4 Z77 won 15 awards last year setting a world record.  Can't say much about the Z87 version, but ASrock has stepped their game up.  Also an MSI Mpower board is about 230, GD65 is 200 and G45 is 150ish, that's a WIDE range man.

Wide range because you know it depends on what he needs. Mpower has everything from Wifi/Bluetooth to 16 phase power, and all the connectors you'd need (lots of SATAs etc), and others are consecutively less feature-packed BUT they still are great mobos.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Thanks for the graph! The 780 does seem like a beast, with cost to match :)

About the 7970, it's a beast graphics card, is really awesome, I would get one only if i'm gaming with one card, but at Crossfire mode , I heard has bad performance scaling on CrossfrireX and they didn't fixed this problem yet, that's what I heard. 

And the other problem I wouldn't go with 2-way is power consumption. But if this rumors isn't true and you don't have any issue with the cost of power consumption in you city I would definitely go with 2x 7970.

About the 7970, it's a beast graphics card, is really awesome, I would get one only if i'm gaming with one card, but at Crossfire mode , I heard has bad performance scaling on CrossfrireX and they didn't fixed this problem yet, that's what I heard. 

And the other problem I wouldn't go with 2-way is power consumption. But if this rumors isn't true and you don't have any issue with the cost of power consumption in you city I would definitely go with 2x 7970.

Well I hear it's only about a day or two new drivers come out.

Well, power consumption would be ok I think, though will probably be high.

The thing I am looking at is whether with 2 x 7970s in CF, how much of an improvement will it be on the 780, and whether I have to worry about microstuttering etc. Because with 2 7970s, it's round about $200 more than one single 780 (in India, at least)

Well, power consumption would be ok I think, though will probably be high.

The thing I am looking at is whether with 2 x 7970s in CF, how much of an improvement will it be on the 780, and whether I have to worry about microstuttering etc. Because with 2 7970s, it's round about $200 more than one single 780 (in India, at least)

That I didn't knew it, so go with a GTX 780, just because is cheaper than 2x 7970 there.