Best fan setup and GPU fan help?

Jake.E20
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,

Generally, you want air flowing through your case as follows: In through the front/bottom and out through the top/rear.

You also want neutral to slightly positive air pressure within your case. This means having the same number and size of intake fans are exhaust fans. If not, you want more intake than exhaust. Having more exhaust vs intake creates negative air pressure in the case, which decreases cooling effect and causes excessive dust collection. So you don't want negative pressure. ;)

Your graphics card has two fans that blow air onto the card (towards it) and out around it. So keeping a supply of fresh air for those fans to draw from is important. 

My suggestion to you would be to mount your additional 120mm fan as a front intake. I know it doesn't look like it, but it will be able to pull enough air through the front vents. I would also suggest adding one more 120mm fan as an intake on the side panel right where your graphics card will be mounted behind it. This will keep your system running cool and keep a slight positive pressure inside the case as well. :) The components you're running aren't going to produce a large amount heat, so this should be more than sufficient. 

Also, just as a quite tip; if you're not sure which direction case fans blow, they always blow towards the support frame, like this:

350x700px-LL-96008a5b_fan.jpeg

I am getting a zalman t3 mini :http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=834

and there is one fan included at the back but I have also brought a 120mm fan as an intake fan.

My build is

Athlon x4 860k

Asus A88xm-plus

2x4gb hyperx fury 1866mhz RAM

Sandisk 64GB ssd

WD Blue 1TB HDD

EVGA 500w psu

Gigabyte windforce 750 ti (dual fan one)

Where would be the best place for an intake fan? 

I had a look at the front of the case and there just doesn't see to be a big enough gap there for max intake flow.

Could anyone help?

Also do GPU fans intake or outtake? I have never really known about this.

Any help would be appreciated

Generally, you want air flowing through your case as follows: In through the front/bottom and out through the top/rear.

You also want neutral to slightly positive air pressure within your case. This means having the same number and size of intake fans are exhaust fans. If not, you want more intake than exhaust. Having more exhaust vs intake creates negative air pressure in the case, which decreases cooling effect and causes excessive dust collection. So you don't want negative pressure. ;)

Your graphics card has two fans that blow air onto the card (towards it) and out around it. So keeping a supply of fresh air for those fans to draw from is important. 

My suggestion to you would be to mount your additional 120mm fan as a front intake. I know it doesn't look like it, but it will be able to pull enough air through the front vents. I would also suggest adding one more 120mm fan as an intake on the side panel right where your graphics card will be mounted behind it. This will keep your system running cool and keep a slight positive pressure inside the case as well. :) The components you're running aren't going to produce a large amount heat, so this should be more than sufficient. 

Also, just as a quite tip; if you're not sure which direction case fans blow, they always blow towards the support frame, like this:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Ah ok thanks I think my MB only supports 2 chassis fans but I presume I can get a 4 pin adapter to hook up to the psu in the future? 

Ah ok thanks I think my MB only supports 2 chassis fans but I presume I can get a 4 pin adapter to hook up to the psu in the future? 

Yep. Some fans come with a 4-pin molex power adapter cable, but if not, they are cheap. Just keep in mind that will run the fan at 100% speed (full 12v). If you want it to run slower, you'll need to control it through the motherboard or with a low-speed adapter which reduces the voltage going to the fan (usually 7v). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yep. Some fans come with a 4-pin molex power adapter cable, but if not, they are cheap. Just keep in mind that will run the fan at 100% speed (full 12v). If you want it to run slower, you'll need to control it through the motherboard or with a low-speed adapter which reduces the voltage going to the fan (usually 7v). 

Ok thank you very much :)