Can I connect this 4pin fan to these 4pin/3pin connectors, even though it does not fit?

Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

I only have a black, green, blue and yellow cable on my fan. Which one steps in as the red one?

Also, yellow fan cable to red floppy cable or the other way round?

Thank you all!!

PC fan colors are as follows:

post-128204-0-65395700-1436217140.png

3 pin fans are the same but without the PWM wire

2 pin fans are the same but without PWM or TACH wire

on a floppy drive,

Red +5v

black ground

black ground

yellow +12v

You want to ignore all of the fan wires except for ground and +12v

connect fan ground to floppy ground and fan +12v to floppy +12v to run at full speed

connect fan ground to floppy ground and fan +12v to floppy +5v to run at low speed

and its possible to get an intermediate speed:

connect fan ground to floppy +5V and fan +12v to floppy +12v to run at intermediate speed

If you want more fans, use longer paperclips and push them through the fan connector and out the top of it and then plug another fan onto it

This will not tell the motherboard fan speed nor will it let the motherboard control it.

Hope this helps!

Hi guys!

I am combining two old computers and am now in the process of ziptying the new fans to the old case. 
However, there are two connectors which seem perfect for this fan, but they do not fit.

Are there different types of male 4pin- and 3pin connectors?

Do I have to cut something?  :rolleyes: 

Fan 4pin connector

post-199101-0-36161200-1436216132_thumb.

Possible motherboard 3pin and 4pin connectors

post-199101-0-33760100-1436216110_thumb.

post-199101-0-47153800-1436216122_thumb.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings, besuto

CPU: i5-4460 / GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC / RAM: G.Skill RipJaws DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR3-1600 / Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB & WD Blue 1TB  / MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H / Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black / PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM 600W / CPU-cooling: EKL Alpenföhn Brocken 2 / Windows 7 / some day HyperX Cloud 2

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fmnXzy

No, those two connectors are incompatible.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I dont think those are fan headers. more like audio 

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

those are audio

I wonder what happens if you would do that. Everytime the beat drops the PC flies away?  :lol:

connect the fans using paperclip pieces to the floppy drive connector. black to black and red to red will make the fans run low speed, and yellow to red will run them at full speed

I only have a black, green, blue and yellow cable on my fan. Which one steps in as the red one?

Thank you all!!

CPU: i5-4460 / GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC / RAM: G.Skill RipJaws DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR3-1600 / Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB & WD Blue 1TB  / MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H / Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black / PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM 600W / CPU-cooling: EKL Alpenföhn Brocken 2 / Windows 7 / some day HyperX Cloud 2

Thank you all!!

PC fan colors are as follows:

3 pin fans are the same but without the PWM wire

2 pin fans are the same but without PWM or TACH wire

on a floppy drive,

Red +5v

black ground

black ground

yellow +12v

You want to ignore all of the fan wires except for ground and +12v

connect fan ground to floppy ground and fan +12v to floppy +12v to run at full speed

connect fan ground to floppy ground and fan +12v to floppy +5v to run at low speed

and its possible to get an intermediate speed:

connect fan ground to floppy +5V and fan +12v to floppy +12v to run at intermediate speed

If you want more fans, use longer paperclips and push them through the fan connector and out the top of it and then plug another fan onto it

This will not tell the motherboard fan speed nor will it let the motherboard control it.

Hope this helps!

Yellow

I have supplied a guide above

Wasn't there when I posted, you ninja'd me. Either way yellow is the right answer. 

illuminati.

Illuminati all seeing eye is a triangle, triangles have 3 sides...

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!!11

EDIT: 420 post MLG SWAG YOLO

-snip-

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know  :D

Yellow

Also thanks to you for supplying a simple answer for dummies  ;)

I wonder what happens if you would do that. Everytime the beat drops the PC flies away?  :lol:

No. The pins are assigned different functions on the two connectors. If you connected them, the fan wouldn't get power - the connector would be destroyed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No. The pins are assigned different functions on the two connectors. If you connected them, the fan wouldn't get power - the connector would be destroyed.

actually it probably wouldnt do anything. its an input in the motherboard. the fan would do nothing and the motherboard would do the same.

"I ruin a lot of jokes."

Yes, you do...  <_<