What should I get?

That's true, but he's asking about what he can afford now.  I looked over the MSI product page of compatibility, and his board doesn't support te 8350.  It does support the 8320 though according to MSI.  http://www.msi.com/support/mb/970A-G43.html#support-cpu

From the image it looks like it's not mATX. If it was he would need a new one, power delivery on the mATX AMD boards tends to be very poor. I still think it would be a better idea to (if he needs) wait a little bit to get some more money for the intel CPU.

If he needs something cheap, an 8320 would do. But he'd end up having to ugrade sooner then he would if he bought, per se, an i5-4690.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Ya, he's pming me about that or the 8370E which is also on the list.  I told him that for full used he'd need an i5, but for now to stay to his budget an 8320 or 8370E will be enough compared to what he's using to at least make it worth it.

The 70e is the power saving SKU isn't it?

I'd just go with the one with the higher performance per core. I believe they call that IPC?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

the best you can get with a 970 board is a 8320E or 8370E. Not the "non E" versions. only the E versions.

If you want anything higher then that, from AMD. you need a new mobo

your motherboard CAN NOT handle a normal 8350 or 9590. It will burn if you do.

Hello I recently upgraded my pc to the gtx 970, and now I need to upgrade my cpu. I was wondering what you guys recommend what to get. I have the cx850m psu, gtx 970 4gb, 8 ram, msi 970a-g43, amd fx4300. Ik my cpu is very weak thats why I want to upgrade it and I was wondering what do you guys recommend I do? Also before you recommend something make sure its compatible with the MOBO I have. I was thinking about getting the fx 8350 or should I get the 9590 with water cooling or will that not work on my board?

What budget are you working with?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

OP your motherboard is complete garbage it can not handle an 8 core FX it's just too weak the VRM's are not heatsinked and they are very VERY cheap the CPU will throttle and/or your motherboard will fry...just sell it as a kit to someone or online and order an i5-4460 and a cheap H97 or B85 motherboard...this perform better in games than even the FX-9590...and won't dump a shit ton of heat into your case and in your room...it's just a lot faster and lot more efficient, just plain better.

Something like this would be perfect for your GTX 970:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.84 @ Amazon)

Total: $218.79

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 22:05 EDT-0400

You should be able to get around 80$ for your AMD kit, making this a cheap upgrade to a modern platform for gaming.

Still think your cheap ass AM3+ board can handle an 8 core FX? quick read here:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=170719.0

Just google the name of your board and then ''VRM''...and see what comes up, we are not kidding you...i wouldn't even run an FX-6300 on this motherboard.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Hello I recently upgraded my pc to the gtx 970, and now I need to upgrade my cpu. I was wondering what you guys recommend what to get. I have the cx850m psu, gtx 970 4gb, 8 ram, msi 970a-g43, amd fx4300. Ik my cpu is very weak thats why I want to upgrade it and I was wondering what do you guys recommend I do? Also before you recommend something make sure its compatible with the MOBO I have. I was thinking about getting the fx 8350 or should I get the 9590 with water cooling or will that not work on my board?

Here is where you can find your cpu support list: http://us.msi.com/support/mb/970A-G43.html#support-cpu

8370e is the best and frankly it is an 8 core beast. Once direct x 12 comes out with that cpu gpu combo you will have one awesome gaming machine. Yes an i5 may play a few games with really crappy code 1 to 2 fps faster but so what? Wanna spend a few hundred bucks more or with a cheap upgrade have a damn fine gaming system.  I checked microcenter and everyone who bought an 8370e RAVES about how awesome it is and what a better value and better bang for the buck then an i5.

AMD has a great vid on youtube about direct x 12 and here are some other articles you may like:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

Also checkout tek syndicates videos on youtube comparing the 8350 to the i5, youll enjoy it

Or not please?

Why not go Intel, to the i5 4460 for example? That actually wouldn't bottleneck the GTX 970

And please dont go FX 9590

From my fx4300 how much increase in fps would I see if I got an i5 4690k like I get avg 40 fps on watch dogs and it drops alot and thats just sad cause its kinda old and I got a 970 like what could I expect to see and yes Ik its unoptimized but Im just using it for a benchmark

From my fx4300 how much increase in fps would I see if I got an i5 4690k like I get avg 40 fps on watch dogs and it drops alot and thats just sad cause its kinda old and I got a 970 like what could I expect to see and yes Ik its unoptimized but Im just using it for a benchmark

night and day, fully worth it...if you want to make good use of your GTX 970 in games you DO require an intel haswell core i5 processor or better.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR