Do I Need To Partition My Hard Drive Before Installing Linux?

Hello!

I am trying to install Linux Mint (32-bit) on an old pc to mess around with it and see whats compatible and stuff before 

installing it on my primary machine. I just recently wiped an old glitched out version of Windows XP from the drive using

UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and i am now wondering if I need to re-partition the drive before installing Linux, or will the install process

take care of that for me?

Thanks! 

You could just make a bootable flash drive, and not have to worry about messing up what is on the hard drive.

From what I've seen in other distros installation, you should be able to partition it how you want during the install. 

What I did is left a chunk of "free space", and when I started installing it, I was able to select that "free space" and make my partitions (/, /home and swap) on that free space. You can just start the installation process, you'll be able to see if it'll work or not before you get the change to mess anything up.

if you have wiped the drive as indicated, the install process will be able to do it for you. If you had another operating system and you wanted to dual boot it would be a little different but still fairly easy