Smartphone Makers Commit To Supporting Anti-Theft Tools

jos

A group of smartphone manufacturers and U.S. carriers agreed to sign the "Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Commitment", which said that all smartphones manufactured after July 1, 2015 will need to have a baseline anti-theft tool that's either preloaded or downloadable to the phones. It will also need to be available at no cost to consumers.

The anti-theft tool will also include multiple capabilities to deter thieves from taking advantage of the stolen phone, including:

• Remote wiping: The tool should be able to remotely delete all personal and sensitive information from the phone.

• Phone locking: This is a feature all phones should have by now, but it falls onto the user to enable a PIN or fingerprint lock.

• Preventing reactivation without the owner's permission.

• Reversing the inoperability if the phone is recovered by the authorized user. Data should also be restored from the cloud, but this will likely depend on whether the user has enabled cloud syncing or not.

The companies that signed the agreement cover most, if not all, of the nation's mobile customers and include: 

• Apple Inc. 
  • Assurant, Inc. 
  • Asurion
  • AT&T
  • BlackBerry Limited
  • Google Inc.
  • HTC America, Inc.
  • Huawei Device USA
  • LG Electronics Mobile
  • Comm USA, Inc.
  • Motorola Mobility LLC
  • Microsoft Corporation
  • Samsung Telecommunications America, L.P.
  • Sprint Corporation
  • T-Mobile USA
  • U.S. Cellular
  • Verizon Wireless
  • ZTE USA, Inc.

•  

Hope no one will go around hunting for phone and gets shot..

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/smartphone-anti-theft-tools-commitment,29488.html

iPhone's have something like this. If an iPhone is running iOS 7 and has been passcode locked there is no way to wipe or reset the phone. Making any stolen iphone basically a brick. 

my biggest issue is and i use an iphone with this feature is people who dont turn off the antitheft feature before selling making a handdown phone an impossible to fix nightmare due to no proof of transfer of ownership...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory