Check my hard drive speed?

1TB for me it's a brand new drive just put it in yesterday, crystaldisk mark shows that it should be fine : http://imgur.com/0bMb5Fl

Which is why i'm lost because its a brand new install of windows 8.1 and a brand new drive that appears to be good.

Yeah those speeds are damn great to be honest...

You can see using the resource monitor in windows whats using the HDD (I mean what actual FILES are being written/read)

It may not be 100% accurate or it may not update fast enough, but some info may be present you currently do not know of.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Both of you guys..

How big is the C:\ you have,...How much free space is left?

Ever do a proper heavy defrag (not using Windows inbuilt one) but defrag software, it ACTUALLY works wonders if not done in a while...

Oh my god I totally forgot to defrag and it's been over 2 years.  I'm dling Defraggler right now.

Oh my god I totally forgot to defrag and it's been over 2 years.  I'm dling Defraggler right now.

There are better ones... BUT...Defraggler may have an option that helps..

Go to the program options, and if there is a tickbox for "Move system files to beginning of disk" DO THAT.

That part of the disk is the fastest, and system files/windows files being put there is BEST.

:)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

There are better ones... BUT...Defraggler may have an option that helps..

Go to the program options, and if there is a tickbox for "Move system files to beginning of disk" DO THAT.

That part of the disk is the fastest, and system files/windows files being put there is BEST.

:)

Don't see that options. I have 10GB of fragmented files pn the C: drive. Is that like alot in terms of fragmented? Could defraggling it actually speed it up? Currently defragging. And btw my HDD currently is at 594gb free out of 698gb. 13 hours to defrag.

Yeah those speeds are damn great to be honest...

You can see using the resource monitor in windows whats using the HDD (I mean what actual FILES are being written/read)

It may not be 100% accurate or it may not update fast enough, but some info may be present you currently do not know of.

It's not as much as one program as anytime I open a game and watch the task manager the game is only at around 10-20 mb/s but the disk usage rockets to 100% even with other programs that use 5 mb/s it rockets high. Does bad ram affect hdd possibly?

Don't see that options. I have 10GB of fragmented files pn the C: drive. Is that like alot in terms of fragmented? Could defraggling it actually speed it up? Currently defragging. And btw my HDD currently is at 594gb free out of 698gb. 13 hours to defrag.

Maybe not in Defraggler as an option.. 10GB can be, and can't be.. if its made up of super tiny files, it will take longer.

Yeah defrag will make it a bit better...

Think of a chain, with links,... over time, links get swapped about, and then to go a certain path of link1/2/3/4/5 you'd have to do multiple jumps back and forth, defrag would essentially put them back in line and in order so when your trying to access that, its more streamlined and with less latency to find data.

It's not as much as one program as anytime I open a game and watch the task manager the game is only at around 10-20 mb/s but the disk usage rockets to 100% even with other programs that use 5 mb/s it rockets high. Does bad ram affect hdd possibly?

Bad ram could have thousands of nasty effects, thats whats so bad about memory issues.

Maybe the machine just isn't capable of trying to handle windows & a game at the same time, usually not an issue though..... not on most machines. I wouldnt say this is what it is..

I'm at a loss, without being there to experience the effects myself.. its hard to diagnose.

Maybe not in Defraggler as an option.. 10GB can be, and can't be.. if its made up of super tiny files, it will take longer.

Think of a chain, with links,... over time, links get swapped about, and then to go a certain path of link1/2/3/4/5 you'd have to do multiple jumps back and forth, defrag would essentially put them back in line and in order so when your trying to access that, its more streamlined and with less latency to find data.

Yeah I know how it works and all, I just don't regularly defrag but I don't know if defrag does that much of a impact.

Bad ram could have thousands of nasty effects, thats whats so bad about memory issues.

Maybe the machine just isn't capable of trying to handle windows & a game at the same time, usually not an issue though..... not on most machines. I wouldnt say this is what it is..

I'm at a loss, without being there to experience the effects myself.. its hard to diagnose.

Motherboard - Asus z97 mark s sabertooth limited edition (white armor)

Processor - Intel Core i7 4790k Quad Core LGA 1150 4.0GHz CPU Processor

Storage ­- 1TB Western Digital Blue 7200rpm

Graphic Card - Evga GTX 980 FTW edition

Power Supply – Corsair CX-750m 750w Modular Bronze Power Supply

are my specs so i'm believing it is the ram because currently I have this crappy RAM 4gb from my old computer in until the new ram arrives, hopefully that will be the fix.

Yeah I know how it works and all, I just don't regularly defrag but I don't know if defrag does that much of a impact.

If its been two years (or was that the other guy), I'd say its drastic...

Dat Junk tho!!!

/Uninstalls leave stuff behind, as do installs and such things.. imagine the random junk over two years...

I'd say if its been over 12 months, it would help a bit.

Motherboard - Asus z97 mark s sabertooth limited edition (white armor)

Processor - Intel Core i7 4790k Quad Core LGA 1150 4.0GHz CPU Processor

Storage ­- 1TB Western Digital Blue 7200rpm

Graphic Card - Evga GTX 980 FTW edition

Power Supply – Corsair CX-750m 750w Modular Bronze Power Supply

are my specs so i'm believing it is the ram because currently I have this crappy RAM 4gb from my old computer in until the new ram arrives, hopefully that will be the fix.

Beast!

Id be thinking the same (Coming from a new install to dead-slow)

Beast!

Id be thinking the same (Coming from a new install to dead-slow)

Thank you. new to all of this so hopefully that is the problem, thanks for your help!