Panorama help.

Go to solution Solved by jbr,

Probably a lot better to find software that's dedicated to the task of creating panoramas like Gigapan Stitch or Panoweaver.

Photoshop does an ok job with images taken with a tripod and the intention of creating a pano but not so great with shots taken holding the camera and creating pano as an afterthought.

Adobe just threw that feature in without any effort to make it truly effective.

I've shot panoramic pictures in the pas and never had any problem with them,
but for some reason Photoshop just won't stitch these together. I've tried everything I know about their panoramic feature (I'm defiantly not a pro, but I know my way around)
Anybody an idea how to make a nice panorama out of this?

post-2484-0-28915200-1374840286_thumb.pn

post-2484-0-79637800-1374840920_thumb.pn

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

It could be a whole number of factors, It looks to me like its having trouble where the exposures change in the sky. It may also be an issue with distortion on the original image, did you leave 50/50 overlap in all the photos?

What way are you doing this File>Automate>Photomerge...? Are you using the auto option, if so try some of the other ones to see if that helps at all.

I would have to say there are not enough define objects for Photoshop to lock onto. Grass and trees are kind of hard for software to recognize and process. If you would like you can send me the original pics and I could see if I get something different.

i know it is kind of old school, but manually stitch them together... it takes time but brings out a better photo

Rate The Photo Above Score- 8.75
~ Nikon D70~

PC Specs: 3.8Ghz Amd Quad, GTX 660ti, Asrock Extreme 4, Kingston Hyper X Beast Ram 16Gb, Kingston Hyper X 90GB SSD, 1TB HHD, NZXT Phantom 410.

Probably a lot better to find software that's dedicated to the task of creating panoramas like Gigapan Stitch or Panoweaver.

Photoshop does an ok job with images taken with a tripod and the intention of creating a pano but not so great with shots taken holding the camera and creating pano as an afterthought.

Thought I would throw this is as another tip for panorama stitches, it would be better to get as far back as possible and use a lens with a longer focal length. I see a lot of people using wide zooms (which naturally have a lot of barrel distortion at shorter lengths) stitching together panoramas...That's probably the primary cause of that wavy effect.

A combination of poor overlapping and barrel distortion can make some images nearly impossible to stitch without getting too destructive.

Thought I would throw this is as another tip for panorama stitches, it would be better to get as far back as possible and use a lens with a longer focal length. I see a lot of people using wide zooms (which naturally have a lot of barrel distortion at shorter lengths) stitching together panoramas...That's probably the primary cause of that wavy effect.

A combination of poor overlapping and barrel distortion can make some images nearly impossible to stitch without getting too destructive.

I'll try those programs,

it's the first time I shot a panorama handheld and yes I used a 18mm lens. Didn't think about the distortion. I will mind that next time.

The free trial for GigaPan Stitch did it for me, and it could output it to a Photoshop .raw so I could do the rest of the editing.
It's not perfect but WAY better than Photoshop's version.

Thanks for all the help guys!

post-2484-0-63375700-1374940778.png

I'll try those programs,

it's the first time I shot a panorama handheld and yes I used a 18mm lens. Didn't think about the distortion. I will mind that next time

Don't forget a Tripod

If you don't have one, frame the shot and then draw your arms into your body and rotate your body from the waste up

that way you'll get a cleaner, less up and down pan.

Try not to make too much overlap or the software gets confused and creates a lot of ghosting

What I did to stitch like 8 photos of an old bomber map from WW2 together was use the puppet transform feature, it's not meant for it but it worked for me - it can stitch up tiny pieces whilst not ruining the whole picture.

Just dot them around the corners as close as possible and move those which need moving.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

What I did to stitch like 8 photos of an old bomber map from WW2 together was use the puppet transform feature, it's not meant for it but it worked for me - it can stitch up tiny pieces whilst not ruining the whole picture.

Just dot them around the corners as close as possible and move those which need moving.

Photoshop's limited panorama feature can handle basic things like maps well but for photographs then there's too much randomness and colour changes in the image.

The same goes with panoramas with lots of buildings and other man made objects with clean lines and geometric shapes, Photoshop can deal with them but nature, not so much.