Pushing the 12K PC Gaming Boundary at 1.5 Billion Pixels per Second

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/07/25/pushing-the-12k-pc-gaming-boundary-at-1-5-billion-pixels-per-second.aspx

What do you guys think about this? I think it is awesome and it goes to show how advanced our hardware is now. 3x4K screens at 60hz? That's insane and it only took 3 7970's. This also completely disproves anyone who say we don't have the technology to game a 4K resolutions. 

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

i run dirt 3 on a 1920x1080 by 3 set up and i do not find it enjoyable i like to run it on just one more.Not because i lack frames because i have to look all the way to my right to see my speed

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

WOW I wish i had a lot of money

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

We already knew you could do this. The problem is you can only do this (and get these frame rates) with our current technology on THAT one single particular monitor. No others atm have that MST support. I'm not sure if Sharp has a patent on it or something? I hope not. Those monitors are overpriced and unrealistic. I haven't really worried about it since I'm not about spending that much on a monitor. I'll wait till TekSyndicate are done modding their 39 inch Seiki 4k display to go at 60Hz, then I'll care, haha. 

i run dirt 3 on a 1920x1080 by 3 set up and i do not find it enjoyable i like to run it on just one more.Not because i lack frames because i have to look all the way to my right to see my speed

I only ever use the in-car view in Dirt 3. I love playing it in Eyefinity/ Surround :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

We already knew you could do this. The problem is you can only do this (and get these frame rates) with our current technology on THAT one single particular monitor. No others atm have that MST support. I'm not sure if Sharp has a patent on it or something? I hope not. Those monitors are overpriced and unrealistic. I haven't really worried about it since I'm not about spending that much on a monitor. I'll wait till TekSyndicate are done modding their 39 inch Seiki 4k display to go at 60Hz, then I'll care, haha. 

Asus's new 4k monitor does 4k at 60 hz using multistream. 

Damn.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Asus's new 4k monitor does 4k at 60 hz using multistream. 

Thank god! Lol So it isn't like a proprietary technology then. Still would rather just have HDMI 2.0, but its what ever. 

Thank god! Lol So it isn't like a proprietary technology then. Still would rather just have HDMI 2.0, but its what ever. 

It's not propriety but one of the problems is that, as of yet, Nvidia can't support it very well. (actually, until the driver update that I believe is due at the end of the month comes out, they can't support it at all) You have to use Eyefinity to get a 4k display at 60hz because the way it works, at least on the Asus, is that you end of having what looks like 2 vertical 1080p monitors side by side, and then you use eyefinity to merge them. the reason that doesn't (currently) work on Nvidia cards is that nvidia doesn't yet support two way surround. Now, when PCPer did a review of the Asus 4k monitor (which i'll try to find a link to) they had a Beta driver from Nvidia but to say that it was buggy would be an understatement, you had to switch the monitor to Single Stream mode to get a picture to display and they had problems with the system not booting with the monitor plugged in. It was a beta driver though so maybe thats fixed. 

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/07/25/pushing-the-12k-pc-gaming-boundary-at-1-5-billion-pixels-per-second.aspx

What do you guys think about this? I think it is awesome and it goes to show how advanced our hardware is now. 3x4K screens at 60hz? That's insane and it only took 3 7970's. This also completely disproves anyone who say we don't have the technology to game a 4K resolutions. 

i dont think u realize dirt 3 isnt a very demanding game i wanna see this playing something actually demanding like crysis 3 farcry 3 actual AAA titles.

PC gaming is all out extreme performance and eye-popping visuals. DirectX games on Windows are always pushing the boundaries of the latest graphics hardware and software technology that will bring things “to the next level”. In this article I’m going to share with you an amazing set of experiences that I recently had pushing the boundaries of 4K multi-mon gaming with several Sharp PN-K321 4K Ultra HD displays that I had on loan for a short period of time. I’ll start with some scenarios that have been tested before and then walk through a technology demonstration and collaboration that I worked on with AMD to see how far we could push things. Let’s just say this was an intense experience!
This setup is the equivalent of 12 1920x1080 displays, that’s a total of 24,883,200 pixels! The last time I tried DirectX 11 gaming at 4K I used a single AMD 7970 card and was able to hold 30 Hz no problem with Max Payne 3. Now I was about to find out how the same graphics hardware would perform with three 4K displays running at 30 Hz. I decided to run Dirt3 since the panoramic effect of 3 displays would work well with that game. Would this setup be able to hold 30 Hz with a single AMD 7970 graphics card? I was about to find out!

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/07/25/pushing-the-12k-pc-gaming-boundary-at-1-5-billion-pixels-per-second.aspx

This is insane imo. The res on this is 11,520 x 2,160 pixels. Pretty strange that they have a DCU II card and two reference cards in crossfire. This is pretty cool though. :D

• GPU cores: 3 x 2,048 = 6,144 total cores
  • Rendered pixels per second = 11,520 x 2,160 x 60 Hz = 1,492,992,000

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Already posted a few hours ago

Whoops should have looked further down to see other news items. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

But can it run crysis 3 (highest settings). Not even TWO titans could pull that off. Three of four. But the tech does exist and it is consumer availble, just very EXPENIVE $$$$$$$$$

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

This is ridiculous, but awesome! I am curious though; I was under the impression that DisplayPort could handle 4k @ 60Hz as (as far as I'm aware) it's double the bandwidth of DVI. HDMI V1.4a was half the bandwidth of DVI, correct? Putting two and two together, I get HDMI with it's latest revision capable of 4k @ 30Hz and with DP being twice DVI and thus, the latest revision of HDMI, can handle 4k @ 60Hz.

If anyone can even make sense of that, could they please confirm my thoughts?

I have 3 4k monitors from Asus but I never play on all three screens at the same time. I only use one screen when gaming (Unless I'm playing Battlefield or Crysis). Browsing the web on at 4k is not fun. Its hard to explain but everything is too small.

WOW I wish i had a lot of money

This LOL, I would blow up so much money on this kind of stuff

How would 2/3 Titans in SLI performs at 3x4k gaming? I would like to see a $15,000 build including peripherals lol

i definitely appreciate my GPU a little more after reading this... dang... i cant even fathom that resolution. my 2560x1440 looks like reallife. 4k must be so real you feel the bullets hit you in BF3

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Microsoft demos a three-display 4K setup running Dirt3 on Windows 8 at 11,520 x 2,160 resolution at 30 Hz, and running Dirt3 on a single 4K Display at 60 Hz using Multi-Stream Transport (MST).

Apparently they had to get a experimental driver from AMD to support the huge resolution.

Full story from microsoft: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/07/25/pushing-the-12k-pc-gaming-boundary-at-1-5-billion-pixels-per-second.aspx

I know its kinda cheesy how microsoft advertised it as 12K gaming. Don't think theres even a official name for this insane resolution.