British Antlion MocMic customers; Beware the customs charge!

To my surprise, the ModMic incurs quite a hefty customs charge from the Royal Mail (couldn't say the same for ParcelForce) of (for me) £12.21.

So if you plan on buying a ModMic and shipping it to the U.K., remember to add this customs charge to the price when considering the purchase! What should've been £31.14 ended up costing me £43.35, can't bloody stand mail services in the U.K. sometimes...

For those interested: Apparently if you ship something internationally, and the cost is too low to incur 'appropriate' VAT charges through the border, Royal Mail will slap on an additional charge (of whatever they want, as legally allowed) in order to get the package to you. Then they add on the cost of delivery since the money you pay to Antlion for S+H actually only goes to USPS.

I think this is something that Antlion should make clear on their website, since I wasn't aware that there were going to be such charges when I made the payment a few weeks ago.

"I'd like to own my own business when I grow up, what do you want to do?" - "I wanna be a MILF!"

Case: CM Storm Trooper (Black) CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz RAM: Mixed, 8GB GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix MoBo: Asus M5A97 PRO PSU: Seasonic M12 / 850W STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro (250GB) / Western Digital Blue (1TB)

Haha, Britain: The land of the fucked.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

george-bush-sour.jpg

"I'd like to own my own business when I grow up, what do you want to do?" - "I wanna be a MILF!"

Case: CM Storm Trooper (Black) CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz RAM: Mixed, 8GB GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix MoBo: Asus M5A97 PRO PSU: Seasonic M12 / 850W STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro (250GB) / Western Digital Blue (1TB)

You know, can anybody from the UK tell me if they ever had a good king? 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

We have a good queen, and she's good because she doesn't do anything bad.

Romney-Mitt-10.jpg

We have a good queen, and she's good because she doesn't do anything bad.

Elton John? 

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

So if you plan on buying a ModMic and shipping it to the U.K., remember to add this customs charge to the price when considering the purchase! What should've been £31.14 ended up costing me £43.35, can't bloody stand mail services in the U.K. sometimes...

I think this is something that Antlion should make clear on their website, since I wasn't aware that there were going to be such charges when I made the payment a few weeks ago.

It's not as if this applies to just Antlion, anything you buy from anywhere outside the EU is subject to VAT when over a certain price and possibly an admin charge for the sake of them doing it - in your case about £5. It shouldn't have ever been £31.14, it's quite clear on the HMRC website. Antlion aren't going to have a huge list of the customs rules as even different countries in the EU have different rules, let alone the rest of the world.

It says quite clearly in the shipping policy "Some countries will charge a VAT or customs fee upon receipt of the package." so it's then up to the individual to look into it themselves. I think you are being a bit hard on Antlion. 

Headset

I apologise if it looks like I'm being hard on Antlion - I'm really not. They haven't done anything wrong.

I'm aware that customs isn't limited to Antlion, my message is just to make people aware that you'll get an additional customs charge when you order the product, particularly if (like me) you're from the U.K. and thought the ModMic would be a value solution for microphones (which it is, until it reaches the border).

I apologise if it looks like I'm being hard on Antlion - I'm really not. They haven't done anything wrong.

I'm aware that customs isn't limited to Antlion, my message is just to make people aware that you'll get an additional customs charge when you order the product, particularly if (like me) you're from the U.K. and thought the ModMic would be a value solution for microphones (which it is, until it reaches the border).

No i understand it can be a bit frustrating, i've had the charge before. The government want's their VAT at some point so this is how they do it and the shipping companies won't go through that hassle for nothing so they want their bit on top.

As a general rule of thumb for buying anything outside the EU you can say convert it into pounds and then, if my memory serves me correctly:

Under £18 - should be free

£18-135 - add approximately 30% (20% VAT and the admin charge)

Over £135 - look into it further

Headset