Anti-Static Wrist Strap

Hello,

I have an old PC that is very dusty and i would like to remove some parts to clean them. I would assume that an anti-static wrist strap is needed because I'm still dealing with electronics. Or do you only need it when dealing with new hardware?

Thanks

Well, it's not really needed. It just means you don't have to keep grounding yourself when you're working. Both old and new electronics are vulnerable to static discharge. If you ground yourself by touching something metal every now and again when working, you should be fine. Just don't work on carpet or in a fluffy jumper or anything. 

Hello,

I have an old PC that is very dusty and i would like to remove some parts to clean them. I would assume that an anti-static wrist strap is needed because I'm still dealing with electronics. Or do you only need it when dealing with new hardware?

Thanks

its a good idea, to be cheap and safe touch the psu with it plugged in but off (0) that will ground you. Honestly most of use probably don't use them or ground ourselfs with little incident

its a good idea, to be cheap and safe touch the psu with it plugged in but off (0) that will ground you.

Only ground yourself if the electronics are also grounded, you want to be at the same electrical level (potential difference) as the components .  NOT grounded whenthey are not.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think i might buy one to be safe. Its only $3

for the sake of them costing almost no money and easy to wear its probably worth the precaution

I am sure we all have stories, I mean I worked on maybe 50 pcs myself and loads in my old job, never wore a static wrist band once and no incidents.. but it only takes one jolt to fuck up your stuff

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well, it's not really needed. It just means you don't have to keep grounding yourself when you're working. Both old and new electronics are vulnerable to static discharge. If you ground yourself by touching something metal every now and again when working, you should be fine. Just don't work on carpet or in a fluffy jumper or anything.

The metal itself also have to be grounded, Like the ground pin in the socket or a copper or aluminium pipe into the ground.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Never used one, just don't be on carpets or around pets or other things that could build up a static charge.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think i might buy one to be safe. Its only $3

Try getting a wireless one

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King