Please help me choose a PSU!

mikey_c

Hello!

Here is my build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($131.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $545.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 08:00 EDT-0400

What is my best option for PSU for $50 or less? I already bought the CX600 but I hear I could've gone better. I can always cancel it or return it when it arrives. Please help me out!

Thanks!

Hello!

Here is my build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($131.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $545.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 08:00 EDT-0400

What is my best option for PSU for $50 or less? I already bought the CX600 but I hear I could've gone better. I can always cancel it or return it when it arrives. Please help me out!

Thanks!

EVGA B1 500W.

never cheap out on your PSU

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

EVGA B1 500W.

Would that be better than the Corsair 600 watt I bought? I thought Corsair was a decent brand.

Would that be better than the Corsair 600 watt I bought? I thought Corsair was a decent brand.

Low end corsair PSUs like the CX series are poorly made.

You could get something better, but since you already bought it, there is not much to be done now. It will work fine.

The CX600 is fine.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Low end corsair PSUs like the CX series are poorly made.

You could get something better, but since you already bought it, there is not much to be done now. It will work fine.

Actually I did return it, so I have any option. What would you suggest?

What if I use this as my graphics card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card

Would I be better off with the 600w Corsair or should I still go for the EVGA 500w?

No need, you will still have room. PCPP calculates total system load of 363W without an HDD.

384W with an HDD.

No need, you will still have room. PCPP calculates total system load of 363W without an HDD.

384W with an HDD.

Alright. Last question, I promise. I am trying to decide on a motherboard. I was thinking ASUS or Gigabyte. I would prefer ATX because of the extra PCI expansion slots. I would also like it to handle RAM faster than 1600 if possible. However, I only want to pay around $75. I am generally okay with refurbished or open-box. Can you lead me in the right direction please?

Alright. Last question, I promise. I am trying to decide on a motherboard. I was thinking ASUS or Gigabyte. I would prefer ATX because of the extra PCI expansion slots. I would also like it to handle RAM faster than 1600 if possible. However, I only want to pay around $75. I am generally okay with refurbished or open-box. Can you lead me in the right direction please?

The gigabyte is very good for the money, for more than 1600MHz you would just need a motherboard that supports XMP. XMP is an option that allows with 1 click to apply the frequency of a factory overclocked memory stick. For example you have a stick of Kingston's HyperX 1866mhz ram, and it runs at 1600mhz even though it says 1866mhz, what you do is go to the bios and change memory profile to XMP. And done, now you have the ram run at 1866.

The gigabyte is very good for the money, for more than 1600MHz you would just need a motherboard that supports XMP. XMP is an option that allows with 1 click to apply the frequency of a factory overclocked memory stick. For example you have a stick of Kingston's HyperX 1866mhz ram, and it runs at 1600mhz even though it says 1866mhz, what you do is go to the bios and change memory profile to XMP. And done, now you have the ram run at 1866.

Interesting, thanks. If it's not a huge hassle, would you mind linking me to some motherboards close to my price range that you recommend? Thanks!

Actually I did return it, so I have any option. What would you suggest?

The Rosewill Capstone I listed above is much better than the EVGA B1.