Using an AIO Watercooler with Passive Cooling?

Hey LTT,

I have a Kraken x61 AIO watercooler and find that the main source of noise from my computer is the fans in the radiator. I can only reduce their speed to 25% and its still pretty noticable beside my desk. I was wondering if I could perhaps plug the fans into the motherboard directly rather than through the Kraken and passively cool the CPU until it reaches a certain temperature, say 60 degrees.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, or bad practice, or whatnot but I'm wondering what you think, and if it is possible, should I have them turn on at 60 degrees, 55 degrees or what temperature?

Another alternative to this would be getting noctua fans which are quieter than the NZXT ones that come with the cooler. Let me know if this is also a good alternative.

Thanks!

Dmanschramm

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Hey LTT,

I have a Kraken x61 AIO watercooler and find that the main source of noise from my computer is the fans in the radiator. I can only reduce their speed to 25% and its still pretty noticable beside my desk. I was wondering if I could perhaps plug the fans into the motherboard directly rather than through the Kraken and passively cool the CPU until it reaches a certain temperature, say 60 degrees.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, or bad practice, or whatnot but I'm wondering what you think, and if it is possible, should I have them turn on at 60 degrees, 55 degrees or what temperature?

Another alternative to this would be getting noctua fans which are quieter than the NZXT ones that come with the cooler. Let me know if this is also a good alternative.

Thanks!

Dmanschramm

Get the Noctua fans, as passive cooling on a radiator doesn't really work, and it will heat up fast. Also, just make sure to use the low noise adapters on the NFF-12's and you will hear very little :)

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Hey LTT,

Thanks!

Dmanschramm

First off;

Yes you can use the passive cooling ability however i would reocmmend that you have some fans for case air flow (mayeb even some slower quieter fans at the top of the case; im assuming that where your rad is)

Yes you can also use the motherboard to control the fans on the rad, thats what i currently am doing so i could set a custom fan profile for those fans for that reason except the opposite, i dont really care about the noise i wanted the performance.

3rd idea is probably the best, by getting some better, quiter fans. I would go this route myself if i was sufferring your situation.

Get the Noctua fans, as passive cooling on a radiator doesn't really work, and it will heat up fast. Also, just make sure to use the low noise adapters on the NFF-12's and you will hear very little :)

Is there a 140mm static pressure noctua fan that will work? I'm not sure of their product naming scheme so im not sure if you can only get static pressure ones in a 120mm variant.

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Hey LTT,

Thanks!

Dmanschramm

I dont recommend it, even with fans CPUs can reach high temps. What more without any fans??? Maybe consider buying noise dampening foam on your case? Or get a new case with noise dampening? Get silent fans?

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Is there a 140mm static pressure noctua fan that will work? I'm not sure of their product naming scheme so im not sure if you can only get static pressure ones in a 120mm variant.

If it fits on and you can plug it in, it will work. Static pressure is better, as it has an easier time pushing air through the rad. Also, bigger (140 MM) is better.

So YES IT WILL WORK

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

You can, if you have case fans, motherboards still need at least some airflow around them to keep cool. You could checks your temps while doing things that you would want your computer silent for, and set the fans to start at slightly higher than that.

If the fans have a 3/4 pin header on them, use some paperclips to join red-red and black-black on a floppy drive connector and the fan. If they are molex and NOTHING ELSE IS PLUGGED INTO THEM, you can jam the molex connector on the power supply backwards (and leave any other fans on the molex string alone). This is reversing the voltage rails on the molex. Both of these solutions has the fans running on 5v instead of 12v.

I use the NF-P14s redux fan (which is 140mm static pressure) on a x41 Kracken in my server and it is superb. Not once heard a peep out of it, even under heavy load. The more expensive variant is the NF-A14, which is again 140mm SP. Either one would be great.   

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

If it fits on and you can plug it in, it will work. Static pressure is better, as it has an easier time pushing air through the rad. Also, bigger (140 MM) is better.

So YES IT WILL WORK

I wanted them in a 140mm variant and ik that 120 should work fine but if they don't come any bigger that's fine!

Canada eh? 

I use the NF-P14s redux fan (which is 140mm static pressure) on a x41 Kracken in my server and it is superb. Not once heard a peep out of it, even under heavy load. The more expensive variant is the NF-A14, which is again 140mm SP. Either one would be great.   

Big thanks!!

Canada eh? 

If the fans have a 3/4 pin header on them, use some paperclips to join red-red and black-black on a floppy drive connector and the fan. If they are molex and NOTHING ELSE IS PLUGGED INTO THEM, you can jam the molex connector on the power supply backwards (and leave any other fans on the molex string alone). This is reversing the voltage rails on the molex. Both of these solutions has the fans running on 5v instead of 12v.

I've got space on my mobo to put the fans but thanks!

Canada eh? 

You can, if you have case fans, motherboards still need at least some airflow around them to keep cool. You could checks your temps while doing things that you would want your computer silent for, and set the fans to start at slightly higher than that.

I was planning to have my intake 200mm fan at the front running slowly to keep air flowing. The resulting hot air was to rise up and through the radiator, but I'm not sure if this is enough to cool it...

Canada eh? 

I've got space on my mobo to put the fans but thanks!

the pumps in my custom loop can be run at a much slower rate (althout 5v is really slow) by doing the same thing. Just make SURE that nothing other than a fan or pump is connected to a backwards molex chain.

Big thanks!!

No problem. You might also want to consider some custom fan curves. At idle, all of my case fans are completely off and the CPU fan is at 500rpm...so spending some time to get them all set up nicely can make a massive difference to system noise as well. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

No problem. You might also want to consider some custom fan curves. At idle, all of my case fans are completely off and the CPU fan is at 500rpm...so spending some time to get them all set up nicely can make a massive difference to system noise as well. 

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Canada eh? 

That's exactly what I was thinking...

I use Asus' Thermal Radar software for it, and it works great! Might want to check it out. 

*poke*

Redsun, the X61 is a 140mm radiator based design. Just FYI.

Dman: passive cooling doesn't work, the radiator is the wrong shape and too resistant to convective airflow to work (also the fluid is too cool to overcome that resistance). http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=65&lng=en<--that 140mm Noctua fan will serve you nicely. All of Noctua's 140mm fans have excellent static pressure. The one I linked to is the only 140mm fan (that isn't actually a 150mm fan) that has PWM control. Cheers.

Dman: passive cooling doesn't work, the radiator is the wrong shape and too resistant to convective airflow to work (also the fluid is too cool to overcome that resistance). http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=65&lng=en<--that 140mm Noctua fan will serve you nicely. All of Noctua's 140mm fans have excellent static pressure. The one I linked to is the only 140mm fan (that isn't actually a 150mm fan) that has PWM control. Cheers.

DERP!!!! I just said NFF12 since that is the most well known noctua fan. I just didn't bother to be specific. :P

At least go semi-passive with airflow optimised fans such as AF120, Jet Flo or NF-S12(A or B), just in case. If it isn't too detrimental to aesthetics, add a chimney to aid convection.

Edited by ManWithBeard1990

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

What about using NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000? (http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=85&lng=en&set=1)

They run at 2000rpm max, are louder at that speed, but their static pressure is tremendous (4.18mm H2O), so they could be run at 1000-1200rpm with possibly better results?

NF-P14S Redux 1500 is slightly lagging behing the NF-A14, but the look is far better.

Thanks!!

Canada eh? 

At least go semi-passive with airflow optimised fans such as AF120, Jet Flo or NF-S12(A or B), just in case. If it isn't too detrimental to aesthetics, add a chimney to aid convection.

haha might not go with the chimney but will take airflow optimized fans over static pressure definitely

Canada eh? 

Hey LTT,

Thanks!

Dmanschramm

Passive cooling is possible, but not with a "standard" radioator because the finns are to close. You would have to buy something like this: http://www.aquatuning.ch/wasserkuehlung/radiatoren/radiatoren-passiv/8381/alphacool-cape-cora-hf-642-konvekt-schwarz?c=2982

post-216771-0-55337600-1435211863.jpg

Big, expensive and totally silent. The pump in you AIO won't make it and you need a custom loop.

You are better off buying a better fan.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil