Which Cpu- i7 4790k or i5 4690k?

Go to solution Solved by Matt4890,

Get the i5 if you are primarily gaming, but get the i7 if you plan to use your computer as a workstation (i.e. using programs that benefit from multiple cores)

I've been going back and forth about which CPU I should get- with this system which do you recommend?

CPU: which one?!

Motherboard: Asrock z97 Pro4 mATX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition

GPU: Windforce R9 290

PSU: Corsair AX760

SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB

Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue

Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

Depends on uses and budget!

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

are you gonna livestream, or render? then i7

otherwise, i5

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Get the i5 if you are primarily gaming, but get the i7 if you plan to use your computer as a workstation (i.e. using programs that benefit from multiple cores)

"Depending on usage" and "Budget" may be a thing but when you want a serious horse that will last you for twice the amount of time before having to upgrade then the 4790k is the absolutely way to go, especially since if you futurly wanna use its hyperthreading advantages.

Groomlake Authority

Generally the i5 is better if you only intend to game, as the cpu makes a small difference in these situations, however if your PC will be more multipurpose, then an i7 would be better.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

If it's just gaming then get an i5.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I figured that the I5 would be the best situation because I will mostly be having, no streaming! I was just interested in wondering how much those extra cores might be useful in cpu intensive games, but seeing as those games are few and far between it looks like I have my answer!

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

I've been going back and forth about which CPU I should get- with this system which do you recommend?

CPU: which one?!

Motherboard: Asrock z97 Pro4 mATX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition

GPU: Windforce R9 290

PSU: Corsair AX760

SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB

Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue

Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240

Hey there,

Both CPUs would be enough for gaming. As the guys suggested, it really depends on if you are doing more than gaming or if you need the extra power that the higher end CPU offers. If it's just for gaming, I would go for the lower-end one. 
I really like the storage solution. Is there any particular reason why you went with two WD Blue drives and not one 2TB WD Green or 2TB WD Black?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there,

Both CPUs would be enough for gaming. As the guys suggested, it really depends on if you are doing more than gaming or if you need the extra power that the higher end CPU offers. If it's just for gaming, I would go for the lower-end one. 
I really like the storage solution. Is there any particular reason why you went with two WD Blue drives and not one 2TB WD Green or 2TB WD Black?

Captain_WD.

Hey,

I would have really liked to go with two WD black drives but it all came down to budget, I was able to pick them both up on a sale. I have been using one of the drives for a little over a year (after having two separate Seagate Barracudas die on me) and liked the performance so I picked up a second one. Because I am a student I like to have my important files saved and backed up so I have the second drive mirroring the first (if I lost any of the files I would have a melt down haha nothing tempts fate like an all night paper). Finally I didnt want to go with the green because I wanted the extra RPM for when I do game off the drives, granted I dont really think I wouldve felt it much in game, but just knowing.. I went for middle of the road because I would be using it for everything!

Hey,

I would have really liked to go with two WD black drives but it all came down to budget, I was able to pick them both up on a sale. I have been using one of the drives for a little over a year (after having two separate Seagate Barracudas die on me) and liked the performance so I picked up a second one. Because I am a student I like to have my important files saved and backed up so I have the second drive mirroring the first (if I lost any of the files I would have a melt down haha nothing tempts fate like an all night paper). Finally I didnt want to go with the green because I wanted the extra RPM for when I do game off the drives, granted I dont really think I wouldve felt it much in game, but just knowing.. I went for middle of the road because I would be using it for everything!

That's a pretty smart choice. :) 

Do have in mind that, redundant as it is, RAID should never be considered a backup solution as it does not give you redundancy over user mistakes, power shortages and physical damage/loss. I would consider using the second drive separately (enclosure or dock station) in order to be on the safe side and perform backups of everything you'd need. WD Blue drives are great for everyday usage but do not have the necessary features (TLER, etc.) in order to work safely in RAID environments and have higher risk of dropping out (unlike WD Red for example).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

That's a pretty smart choice. :)

Do have in mind that, redundant as it is, RAID should never be considered a backup solution as it does not give you redundancy over user mistakes, power shortages and physical damage/loss. I would consider using the second drive separately (enclosure or dock station) in order to be on the safe side and perform backups of everything you'd need. WD Blue drives are great for everyday usage but do not have the necessary features (TLER, etc.) in order to work safely in RAID environments and have higher risk of dropping out (unlike WD Red for example).

Captain_WD.

Thanks,

Im in the process of making my primary rig now (with the specs you've seen) but after that I have been looking into a NAS- If I go that route I will be grabbing some WD Red. Thanks for your input, if I see some WD Black somewhere i'll think about picking them up. A dock station would be pretty nice too- I have a 500gb external that I was given by my parents (come to think of it I think its a WD too) that I should start doing back ups on! One of the cool things of where I live though is that the dorms are actually located inside of a hospital with back up generators (loss of power not really a factor), and the rest of the area can go out but the hospital never does. Although when I move out ill definitely have to be aware of this.

Generally the i5 is better if you only intend to game, as the cpu makes a small difference in these situations, however if your PC will be more multipurpose, then an i7 would be better.

the i5 is not better....... just a smarter choice for gaming only as its cheaper.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

the i5 is not better....... just a smarter choice for gaming only as its cheaper.

Yeah, better as in you wont be spending more on performance that is not required... wrong word choice xD

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Yeah, better as in you wont be spending more on performance that is not required... wrong word choice xD

yeah i agree :P i got an i7 4790 over the i5 4690k only because i managed to get it for the same price and i sometimes stream.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |