Hard tubing v.s Soft tubing?

Like the title says, I am planning a build in the future and I am thinking of going custom loop. I know hard line looks better when done correctly but then you are pretty locked in and it cost quite a bit more. so what other reasons are there to go with hard line over soft tubing?

Soft tubing=Easy install but possible cinks

Hard tubing=Hard install but no cinks <---(and yes that is what she said)

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Soft tubing=Easy install but possible cinks

Hard tubing=Hard install but no cinks <---(and yes that is what she said)

*kinks.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Like the title says, I am planning a build in the future and I am thinking of going custom loop. I know hard line looks better when done correctly but then you are pretty locked in and it cost quite a bit more. so what other reasons are there to go with hard line over soft tubing?

Soft tube will tend to degrade over time so it will need to be replaced compared to hardline and is easier to plumb compared to hardline.

As for cost they are fairly similar for materials but not accounting for tools to bend hardline. 

Soft Tubing:

Cheaper

Easier

More options for fittings

More options for tubing colours and sizes

Easier to upgrade parts

Easier to drain the loop

Less likely to go wrong

Less tools required

Hard Tubing:

It can look better/cleaner if you do it right. 

What about fittings? is there a big price difference for the fittings?

What about fittings? is there a big price difference for the fittings?

Depending who your buying from but they are fairly similar priced between hardline and soft tube fittings.

Depending who your buying from but they are fairly similar priced between hardline and soft tube fittings.

Good to know. i will have to keep an eye out. any suggestions on where to buy from?

Good to know. i will have to keep an eye out. any suggestions on where to buy from?

One thing if you don't already know don't order from FrozenCPU they are out of business still.

Some good places to get stuff from is Performance PC's, Dazmode, and NCIX on the lesser extent (only order stuff in stock).

One thing if you don't already know don't order from FrozenCPU they are out of business still.

Some good places to get stuff from is Performance PC's, Dazmode, and NCIX on the lesser extent (only order stuff in stock).

Yeah i knew about frozen cpu which is a same bc i liked that site, Thanks man.

It comes down to what you are looking for.  I just built my first custom water cooling loop with hardline tubing for the looks alone.  Mine was likely $100 more expensive than soft tubing because I opted for a handful of rotary fittings, otherwise the cost would have been about the same.  I am very happy with the results, but it did take a lot of planning/measuring/bending to get it right.

Build blog:  http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/611/entry-794-water-cooling-the-build/

It comes down to what you are looking for.  I just built my first custom water cooling loop with hardline tubing for the looks alone.  Mine was likely $100 more expensive than soft tubing because I opted for a handful of rotary fittings, otherwise the cost would have been about the same.  I am very happy with the results, but it did take a lot of planning/measuring/bending to get it right.

Build blog:  http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/611/entry-794-water-cooling-the-build/

What about the extra bits like the tubing benders and heat guns? how much does that put you back.

What about the extra bits like the tubing benders and heat guns? how much does that put you back.

Usually around $100 USD if you want a decent kit from monsoon with a heatgun and a few bits and pieces here and there;

http://www.performance-pcs.com/monsoon-hardline-pro-bender-kit-3-8-x-1-2-13mm.html

You shouldn't really be like hmm I'm thinking of doing water cooling if you want hard pipe tubing you don't currently have the mentality to see it through, its a lot harder to do, maintain not to mention that being said I know which one I'd rather have.

post-196573-0-99778000-1435008255.jpeg

post-196573-0-40912100-1435008270.jpeg

For me, I got the $100 pro bending kit from monsoon and a $15 heat gun.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/acrylic-tube-tools/monsoon-hardline-all-pro-deluxe-bender-kit-1-2-x-5-8-16mm.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/monsoon-hardline-pro-heatgun-kit.html

Not sure I can speak much about how easy/hard it is to maintain, but I went with monsoon fittings which I'm hoping will decrease the likeliness of leaks due to their unique-to-pc-cooling pipe endings.  I have heard the tube/fitting seals are the most likely to fail, although it sounds like most water cooling parts on the market are pretty robust at this point.

you forgot microcenter they have step'd up there watercooling stock again now getting it from ek and perf-pcs. the 3 local to me have nearly all of ekwb's lineup and alot of rads/fittings now

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

you forgot microcenter they have step'd up there watercooling stock again now getting it from ek and perf-pcs. the 3 local to me have nearly all of ekwb's lineup and alot of rads/fittings now

I don't have a micro center near me. I do have a fry's but they have no custom water cooling in my store.

I don't have a micro center near me. I do have a fry's but they have no custom water cooling in my store.

they have the same stock online just select online warehouse in the same places as the stores are with free shipping i think

yea ive been in a fry's once they suck compared to microcenter if you cant get what you want use dazmode ppc-pcs  aquatuning.us and the euro retailers to ship here

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

What about copper pipes?

You know i was thinking about doing copper but making sure i don't have mixed metal and then fittings for that might be even harder. unless i do it like water lines. But the looks oh man. If i could make it produce steam out of the top of my case i would be sold.

You know i was thinking about doing copper but making sure i don't have mixed metal and then fittings for that might be even harder. unless i do it like water lines. But the looks oh man. If i could make it produce steam out of the top of my case i would be sold.

Most fittings are made of brass the only thing that you really need to worry about is having something aluminum inside of a loop. 

You can do copper lines it's similar to doing hardline but with a pipe bender and no heat needed only thing is it will need polishing/sealing if you want to keep that shiny copper look.

Most fittings are made of brass the only thing that you really need to worry about is having something aluminum inside of a loop. 

You can do copper lines it's similar to doing hardline but with a pipe bender and no heat needed only thing is it will need polishing/sealing if you want to keep that shiny copper look.

could go full on steam punk.

• 1 year later...

Actually hardline is easier to maintain than flexible, not the other way arround.