[Yes another of those threads] Gtx 970 vs 290x

Hello everyone I'd like you opinion on a tough decision I'm making. Weeks ago I've bought an ASUS 290x Matrix, I was quite happy, the card looked awesome, it did fit in my build quite nice, the lit ROG logo was awesome and I couldn't be happier since I've paid it 320€, brand new.

Today I was forced to send it back to amazon 'cause it was a bit defective, temps were too high (92°c and above) and I've discovered it's a common occurrence with Asus direct cu 2 coolers, I'm quite sad about it, I really like it.

So, as I'm packing it back I have to choose another gpu but it's a tough choice keeping in mind that:

- I don't want to spend more that ~350€ and if I could stay around 320€ it would be even better.

- Not interested in AMD 300 series

- Both of the 2 options below look like shit in my build

We have 2 options:

- Sapphire R9 290x Tri-x for 353€

- Palit Jetstream gtx 970 for 335€

Msi and gigabyte cards are too expensive and the Asus strix has noticeable coil whine (plus I don't really want to try my luck again with asus).

Both cards have similar temps in idle and full load (~77°c), the power consumption is not too important the difference is just a few bucks a month.

What concerns me is:

- Gtx 970: Ram, I know it's not a big deal but still it disturbs me and the fact that Nvidia could gimp performance once the new series is out (recent witcher 3 and assetto corsa games, and poor performance on kepler)

- 290x: Quite hot and power hungry chip, afraid of shorter lifespan, maybe not worth the extra 20€ over the 970, slight lower performance?

The 290x has improved a lot during this last year, improving performance through drivers and due to the 300 series being a rebrand it should offer it a longer lifespan.

Mmm I can't decide, suggestions? Please avoid comments like: " hurr durr nvidia is better" "amd has just ovens" and shit like that, if you suggest a card tell me why and not just " gtx 970" or " amd 290x".

Thank you and sorry for the wall of text. :)

Turnip?

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

What kind of resolution are you playing on?

If you are on 1440p+, I would go with the 290X. the Tri X cooler is very good.

If you're at 1080p, I would probably just recommend the GTX 970.

Maybe you can take a look at Zotac's GTX 970, heard that one was decent too for its price.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Turnip?

I was thinking potato powered

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

970 every day. I can't trust anything from the 200 series from AMD at the moment - see too many of them come back faulty.

Get a 290X and flash it with a 390X Bios.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

at 1080p i waod say 970 but anything abowe 1080p i waod say 290x but i waod still consider 970 since more games are being optimized for nvidia so take that in mind

Turnip?

I was thinking potato powered

Well, I was going for something new :D

What kind of resolution are you playing on?

If you are on 1440p+, I would go with the 290X. the Tri X cooler is very good.

If you're at 1080p, I would probably just recommend the GTX 970.

Maybe you can take a look at Zotac's GTX 970, heard that one was decent too for its price.

I'm not on 1440p but I could switch in the future, you've a good point seeing that the 290x works better at high resolutions. The Zotac is out as well, it costs the same as the MSI one which I'd buy over the Zotac. Looks like Palit is known as PNY in the states. :)

Edit: never mind, it has the same price as the Palit one, taking it in consideration.

970 every day. I can't trust anything from the 200 series from AMD at the moment - see too many of them come back faulty.

I don't know about 290x  failure rate, but I did see that Asus did a poor job with their coolers, recycling them from gtx 780s and sticking them on the 290x. Life span of the card itself is quite important to me. :)

Unless you're playing at 4k I'd go for the 970. It's cheaper, performs very similarly and won't give you any heat problems.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I will admit though the r9 300 series cards are catching my eye

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG:

Unless you're playing at 4k I'd go for the 970. It's cheaper, performs very similarly and won't give you any heat problems.

I'd recommend getting the EVGA 970 SSC plus with its ACX Cooling you shouldn't have a problem cooling the card

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG:

I don't know about 290x  failure rate, but I did see that Asus did a poor job with their coolers, recycling them from gtx 780s and sticking them on the 290x. Life span of the card itself is quite important to me. :)

Yeah those Asus DCU2 suck at cooling anything but the Core itself. But the Sapphire Tri-X is probably the second best 290X you can get (next to the vapor-x). However considering that its slightly more expensive than the 970 and uses a lot more power id say the 970 is the more reasonable choice.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I'm not on 1440p but I could switch in the future, you've a good point seeing that the 290x works better at high resolutions. The Zotac is out as well, it costs the same as the MSI one which I'd buy over the Zotac. Looks like Palit is known as PNY in the states. :)

Well the GTX 970 definitely doesn't do anything wrong at 1440p, but it works better on 1080p compared to a 290X.

And the Zotac GTX 970 is more affordable where I live compared to other 970 cards.

And I am from the Netherlands and we have Palit here too, so I knew about that card already :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well, I was going for something new :D

I don't know about 290x  failure rate, but I did see that Asus did a poor job with their cooler recycling them from gtx 780s and sticking them on the 290x. Life span of the card itself is quite important to me. :)

Because of the lower power usage the 970 probably survives longer. Still over 1080p the 290x has more muscle - only 2-8 FPS but more. You could watch for an ASUS Matrix if I am not wrong both cards have this cooler. Then you could compare them better.

Get a 290X and flash it with a 390X Bios.

Why would you do that?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

How much is an R9 390 where you live, OP?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I will admit though the r9 300 series cards are catching my eye

You may have missed the fact that they are 200 series rebrands through and through (with the exception of the 380x).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You may have missed the fact that they are 200 series rebrands through and through (with the exception of the 380x).

The 380X is the one I'm looking at

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG:

The 380X is the one I'm looking at

fair enough then ^^ although if it's around 250$ it will be dangerously close to the significantly faster r9 290.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well the GTX 970 definitely doesn't do anything wrong at 1440p, but it works better on 1080p compared to a 290X.

And the Zotac GTX 970 is more affordable where I live compared to other 970 cards.

And I am from the Netherlands and we have Palit here too, so I knew about that card already :)

Perfect, thank you, and yes sorry didn't notice your location :P

I'll think about it, the Zotac with the black cooler would fit better, I did check and it costthe same as the palit, I don't know why amazon shows a higher price as the base one :I

Because of the lower power usage the 970 probably survives longer. Still over 1080p the 290x has more muscle - only 2-8 FPS but more. You could watch for an ASUS Matrix if I am not wrong both cards have this cooler. Then you could compare them better.

An asus matrix 290x? I already have that and it's the one I'm sending back, because it's defective :P

I've already read a few reviews and both sapphire 290x and palit jetstream, stay at around 77°c in full load. So temps are not really a problem, my 290x was way hotter than it should have due to a cooler defect (probably thermal paste).

How much is an R9 390 where you live, OP?

Way too expensive, the cheapest one 360€. Amazon doesn't have them yet.

bdde5c8055.png

Perfect, thank you, and yes sorry didn't notice your location :P

I'll think about it, the Zotac with the black cooler would fit better, I did check and it costthe same as the palit, I don't know why amazon shows a higher price as the base one :I

An asus matrix 290x? I already have that and it's the one I'm sending back, because it's defective :P

I've already read a few reviews and both sapphire 290x and palit jetstream, stay at around 77°c in full load. So temps are not really a problem, my 290x was way hotter than it should have due to a cooler defect (probably thermal paste).

Way too expensive, the cheapest one 360€. Amazon doesn't have them yet.

bdde5c8055.png

I thought of comparing their benchmarks not buying them  ;)

Still I am wondering since my 2 years old GTX 680 DCU II Top works like a charm  :D .

I thought of comparing their benchmarks not buying them  ;)

Still I am wondering since my 2 years old GTX 680 DCU II Top works like a charm  :D .

Well as far as I found, looks like it works ok when mounted properly:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_matrix_review,12.html

Inside my case it was around 42°c in idle.

İ would go with the 290X esspecially after seein some benchmarks where the 390x is trading blows with 980.

Well as far as I found, looks like it works ok when mounted properly:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_matrix_review,12.html

Inside my case it was around 42°c in idle.

Guru3D's test was made on testbench, when put in case these cards run hot.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Guru3D's test was made on testbench, when put in case these cards run hot.

yes I know, but not at the point of throttling at over 92°c, it's not the reference cooler and I've already messages Asus support, sadly.