HELP me decide on a case omg........ mATX/optical drive

ScaryFatKidGT

So heres the lists of cases I am looking at, I have watched like every review ever. I want something that doesn't look like a computer, something where people will go WTF is that? I have an mATX gigabyte gaming 5 mobo and a corsair CX600 right now, I'm never going to run more than 2 gpus so mATX is perfect. I would also like to fit atleast a 240mm AIO cooler. I would also like a slim bluray opticaldrive.

I'm going to start with the company and cases that get a 10 for 10 in design for what I'm looking for

InWin

D-frame - $400! I almost bought one of these but got outbid on ebay :/

D-frame mini - iTX...

901 - iTX...

904 - only 1 intake and one exhaust with only a spot for a 120/140mm rad...

H/S-frame/Toa - I'm not a drug dealer

Fractal
Node 804 - was $70 and I missed it... don't feel like paying $120 for it and it looks like a printer but still different
Arc Mini R2 - Looks like a normal tower
Define R5 - I love this case but it is rather larger (although small as far as midtowers go) it looks kind of cool as the 5.25" bays are blocked and I can get it with a window but its still a big black case. I would probably pull the 3.5" drives out as I'm only using 1 3.5" drive.
Define S - same as R5 but no optical drives :/, better layout for me but no optical at all.

Corsair
350D - looks like a regular tower case but fits everything ok
Air 540 - this was the first case that had the functionality and looks I want but it is a full ATX case and also has dust filter issues along with flimsy side panels

Air 240 - better dust filtration than the 540 but a little too small :/. IMO this is really just an itx case and an "Air 340" would be better, the only spot for a radiator would be push pull in the front then one exhaust in the back unless you want to use 80mmers and even flimsier side panels than the 540.

100R - dust filter issues, looks like a computer tower
200R - dust filter issues, looks like a computer tower

NZXT

H440 - No optical, would like more air flow
S340
Noctis - looks good, better than the H440 but still no optical

Phanteks
Enthoo Evolv - looks great, could be better (looks like plasic) side mounted I/O and not the greatest air cooling.
Enthoo Luxe - Kind of big but I'm digging the looks and lighting

Silverstone - ALL OF THESE HAVE OPTICALS!!!!! WOOT! These are also so small but with desent airflow so I dont really case about rads

Sugo SG03 - Is this an upgraded 04? they went down a number instead of up? It has USB 3.0...
Sugo SG04 - only 2 intake fans, no exhausts with no room for a rad
Sugo SG09 - I might actually go this rout... wish it came in white and I wish it had a handle, it so small but would be kind of hard to carry around.

Sugo SG10 - is this just a fancier looking 09?

I've narrowed if down to all the fractal cases

Node 804

Arc Mini R2
Define R5
Define S - I like the bigger window, not the clip on front or no optical so I will probably go R5

Air 240 - I could go 540 but I would have to get after market dust filters

Noctis

Luxe - kinda big

and the Sg03 and SG10 as I think it looks better than the 09.

I'm planning on a 980 ti and a 240mm rad on the cpu in pushpull with color led 1pressur optimized fans on the front and regulars in the back, it is going in my bed room so the quiet cases intrigue me but I don't think it will be an issue as I wont be underload while sleeping. I would also like 5 pcie slots.

Any help or ideas? I have thought about just getting the 240 with an external optical and setting it on top but idk...

Also a fan speed controler is a plus. How hard is it to mod in RGB lighting and a fan speed controler?

As much as I love my 350D (and I also am an mATX format fan), when you put in items in the optical bays, it doesn't sit flush with the rest of the front panel.  It drives me nuts so I ended up taking out my blu-ray drive completely.  Not sure if that's a concern for you or not.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I have an SG10, and I like it. It's properly small, unlike the Arc mini R2 and the 350d, with little room for cable management, but with a short Silverstone PSU and their short cable set I found it quite easy to build in. And the 980ti reference will fit, length isn't an issue, but the card's height is. If the cooler protrudes beyond the pci bracket, measure carefully, for example the EVGA 980 classified won't fit, but Gigabytes G1 will.

Things to note though;

You won't get a 240mm rad in it, 120mm rads have been done, but are really tight. Really you should be looking at air coolers with this case.

It only has 4 Pci slots not 5

Silverstone recommend only using low rpm HDDs sue to the limited airflow to them, so games are best installed on the SSD. If you were planing a large SSD this obviously isn't an issue though. 

The one that fits your brief best is the Fractal node 804, 5 pci slots, optical drive slot, can easily take a 240mm rad, hell it can take a 280mm in the rear chamber, and is still smaller than an ATX case.

I have an SG10, and I like it. It's properly small, unlike the Arc mini R2 and the 350d, with little room for cable management, but with a short Silverstone PSU and their short cable set I found it quite easy to build in. And the 980ti reference will fit, length isn't an issue, but the card's height is. If the cooler protrudes beyond the pci bracket, measure carefully, for example the EVGA 980 classified won't fit, but Gigabytes G1 will.

Things to note though;

You won't get a 240mm rad in it, 120mm rads have been done, but are really tight. Really you should be looking at air coolers with this case.

It only has 4 Pci slots not 5

Silverstone recommend only using low rpm HDDs sue to the limited airflow to them, so games are best installed on the SSD. If you were planing a large SSD this obviously isn't an issue though. 

The one that fits your brief best is the Fractal node 804, 5 pci slots, optical drive slot, can easily take a 240mm rad, hell it can take a 280mm in the rear chamber, and is still smaller than an ATX case.

I'm thinking about the SG10 I would only really need one GPU, is 7200rpm highspeed do they really get hot at all? This case has fairly good airflow I wouldn't need a rad. With the ACX SC or MSI gaming fit? If not I might just throw a reference card in it. For how small it is I wish it did have a handle.

I ALMOST bought the Node 840 I'm kind of salty, it went from 69.99 free shipping to 109.99 + 8.99 shipping. Also I don't know how good the airflow from the front is, but I love love love the fact that it has an optical drive on the side.

The other thing I have thought of is the SG03/4 with a push pull set up in the front and dual Gigabyte mini itx 970's.

An mATX board actually looks quite comedically small in an Enthoo Pro/Luxe...

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

An mATX board actually looks quite comedically small in an Enthoo Pro/Luxe...

But the lights are so pretty :D

What about a Raven RV05?

Node 804 is best mATX case 

between, nice case research

I'm thinking about the SG10 I would only really need one GPU, is 7200rpm highspeed do they really get hot at all? This case has fairly good airflow I wouldn't need a rad. With the ACX SC or MSI gaming fit? If not I might just throw a reference card in it. For how small it is I wish it did have a handle.

I ALMOST bought the Node 840 I'm kind of salty, it went from 69.99 free shipping to 109.99 + 8.99 shipping. Also I don't know how good the airflow from the front is, but I love love love the fact that it has an optical drive on the side.

The other thing I have thought of is the SG03/4 with a push pull set up in the front and dual Gigabyte mini itx 970's.

The EVGA 980ti ACX will fit, it's the same size at the vanilla 980 ACX I have in my SG10. The MSI twin frozr, it doesn't look likely. The side mounted 120mm fan does restrict GPU choice, you only have about 20mm clearance beyond the top of the pci bracket. 

The hard drive thing, I have a WD green which I think is 5400rpm, it's 5-something, and the side of the case next to the drive got quite hot when I was transferring all my files over from my previous PC. I turned the top fan up to max and it was fine, though rather noisy. Day to day it's fine, but I don't have any programs installed on it, so most of the time it isn't in use. If you use your HHD in the same way, it should be ok. I'd suggest at least a 500GB SSD, and install all your programs on that.

The Node 804 looks to be more of a negative air pressure case, but if it isn't in a dusty environment that shouldn't be much or problem, it will just need more frequent love from the compressed air can. It also isn't that small either. It is however incredibly flexible can can take a lot of water cooling if you decide to go that way.

The SG04 looks quite tricky to build in, and by limiting yourself to mini-ITX graphics cards you could regret that come upgrade time, but looks the easiest to carry around.

• 2 weeks later...

The EVGA 980ti ACX will fit, it's the same size at the vanilla 980 ACX I have in my SG10. The MSI twin frozr, it doesn't look likely. The side mounted 120mm fan does restrict GPU choice, you only have about 20mm clearance beyond the top of the pci bracket. 

The hard drive thing, I have a WD green which I think is 5400rpm, it's 5-something, and the side of the case next to the drive got quite hot when I was transferring all my files over from my previous PC. I turned the top fan up to max and it was fine, though rather noisy. Day to day it's fine, but I don't have any programs installed on it, so most of the time it isn't in use. If you use your HHD in the same way, it should be ok. I'd suggest at least a 500GB SSD, and install all your programs on that.

The Node 804 looks to be more of a negative air pressure case, but if it isn't in a dusty environment that shouldn't be much or problem, it will just need more frequent love from the compressed air can. It also isn't that small either. It is however incredibly flexible can can take a lot of water cooling if you decide to go that way.

The SG04 looks quite tricky to build in, and by limiting yourself to mini-ITX graphics cards you could regret that come upgrade time, but looks the easiest to carry around.

I wish you could get a handle on the SG03

Screw negative air pressure, I'm going to have a rad in the front (maybe 2 if I liquid cool the GPU) and then 2 exhaust fans in the back so 4 or more intake and 2 exhaust, I'll probably leave the top spots alone.

What about this? Should I pull the trigger and try and jam a 980 ti in there :D

What about this? Should I pull the trigger and try and jam a 980 ti in there :D

Maybe, though I'd definitely pick a 980Ti with a blower-style cooler in that case. Open-air coolers don't really work in cases with poor airflow, which it looks like this case has.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Maybe, though I'd definitely pick a 980Ti with a blower-style cooler in that case. Open-air coolers don't really work in cases with poor airflow, which it looks like this case has.

Yeah only one fan? WTF is that, I would probably mod some intake fans into the bottom. I wanna get the Node 804 but I'm going to set it on the floor for the time beeing and that seems weird to me, the Define R5 and Arc series cases are boring, and I can't find any other interesting mATX cases.