Looking at getting a 960, or a 970+psu. What would you do?

na118

So I have a 2GB GTX 660 card at the moment and I'm looking to get a bit more out of 1080p gaming, mainly on titles releasing this fall, heavily modded skyrim, witcher 2/3, etc.  I was thinking the 960 would be a cheap and easy fix, as I wouldn't have to upgrade my 460W power supply but I'm not sure how long that would last before I need another upgrade.

Another option is the 970, with a 550W power supply since I'd be just under the power requirements.  If I was going big with the 970 I'd probably want to get the 4GB version, mainly because the "what if" factor would kill me.

So, money doesn't grow on trees around here but I'm willing to splurge a bit if it's really, really worth the extra $.  In my situation, what would you get? I've considered AMD but I want Gsync support and heat/noise is a factor since it is a computer also used in a sound studio setting.  I don't need a dead silent psu, just something not overtly noisy or known to whine (specific models of gpu and psu would be welcome)

Thanks!

The 970 will use similar wattage to the 660, so you'll be fine. I think the 660 TDP is 140w, while the 970's is 150w. The 970 will be much better than the 960, so it is worth it.

If you're scared about using too much power, you can always set a power limit in something like MSI Afterburner, but 460w should be able to handle it no problem at all.

I have an i7 4790k plus an overclocked 970 and I rarely see anything near 300 watts from the wall during gaming, and bare in mind, 460 is the amount supplied to the computer, from the wall will always be 5-15% higher than that.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

As others have mentioned, the 970 may well fit into your power budget here, meaning you won't necessarily need to upgrade your PSU. Really, it comes down to a matter of how much you are willing to spend on a new graphics card. I'd probably go with the 960, but at the same time I'm not really considering upgrading my 660 at the current moment, so it's really up to you.

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

I can recommend a EVGA g2 psu with hybrid mode, Corsair RM , i've had those two they are great, 

Please don't recommend a Corsair RM..

That is the definition of overpriced Power Supply..

If you're scared about using too much power, you can always set a power limit in something like MSI Afterburner, but 460w should be able to handle it no problem at all.

I have an i7 4790k plus an overclocked 970 and I rarely see anything near 300 watts from the wall during gaming, and bare in mind, 460 is the amount supplied to the computer, from the wall will always be 5-15% higher than that.

Ah gotcha, yeah never used Afterburner but sounds like that would take care of it. I have a i5 3470 which takes 40W less than your cpu so I should be good then.  970 it is then if I don't have to drop another $70+ on a psu, that's a no brainer

A 970 would be ideal as it can push out 40-60fps in The Witcher 3 at Ultra 1080p and has a very good price/performance ratio. Even with my rig I can't seem to pull more than 390 watts from the wall and I have thrown everything I have at it lol. My CPU isn't OC (it has a 140w TDP though) but my GPU is OC with a 120% power target. Your power supply would be a little bit closer to its maximum out put, but it should be fine. If you want a quiet PSU look at some Be Quiet! PSUs, as I think they have some good ones.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

I have a i5 3470

GTX 970 + i5-3470 will run on a 460W PSU no problem...if it's a good unit...that CPU is a bit on the weak side for such a powerful card though, but it should be fine for most games out there.

Check to make sure the PSU has the proper power cables for the card though...you might have to use a molex to 6pin adapter (come with the graphics card..free)

molex_pci-e.jpg

What PSU do you have in your system ATM and how old it is?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I would advise getting a 970. I bought a 960 and really wish I had gotten a 970. I was worried about power like you (I'm using a cs 430m) And it would've been worth it even if I had to upgrade the psu (seems like maybe you don't have to from what others are saying, depends on what psu you have exactly)

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Thanks all for the replies, LTT forums are the best.  Looks like it will be a 970 then.

I only have a 6 pin connector (with another 6 pin daisy chained), so unless there's a workaround I'll have to get a new psu.  But on that note, is there a way to power a 2x6 pin card from the 6 pin connectors my psu has?  I am completely clueless about how powering components works

Thanks all for the replies, LTT forums are the best.  Looks like it will be a 970 then.

I only have a 6 pin connector (with another 6 pin daisy chained), so unless there's a workaround I'll have to get a new psu.  But on that note, is there a way to power a 2x6 pin card from the 6 pin connectors my psu has?  I am completely clueless about how powering components works

The guy above posted a pic... molex to PCIE adapter.  GTX 970 is around 170W at max load, you should be fine.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,4.html

So I have a 2GB GTX 660 card at the moment and I'm looking to get a bit more out of 1080p gaming, mainly on titles releasing this fall, heavily modded skyrim, witcher 2/3, etc.  I was thinking the 960 would be a cheap and easy fix, as I wouldn't have to upgrade my 460W power supply but I'm not sure how long that would last before I need another upgrade.

Another option is the 970, with a 550W power supply since I'd be just under the power requirements.  If I was going big with the 970 I'd probably want to get the 4GB version, mainly because the "what if" factor would kill me.

So, money doesn't grow on trees around here but I'm willing to splurge a bit if it's really, really worth the extra $.  In my situation, what would you get? I've considered AMD but I want Gsync support and heat/noise is a factor since it is a computer also used in a sound studio setting.  I don't need a dead silent psu, just something not overtly noisy or known to whine (specific models of gpu and psu would be welcome)

Thanks!

i'd take the 970, no psu (except you have a crappy psu): my rig under full load 230W, should be enough headroom;-)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1. You should be fine the 970 is like 125w? and 2. All 970's are 4(3.5+.5)GB's

Please, I know you are trying to help... BUT 125W?  If the link to a review of the GTX 970 was not less than half a page upwards I would not be so bothered by your misinformation.

Where do you get your numbers?  :D

460W is more than enough for a 970. It's not ideal, and you should change it, but if it's from a reputable bran it should not be a problem.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Please, I know you are trying to help... BUT 125W?  If the link to a review of the GTX 970 was not less than half a page upwards I would not be so bothered by your misinformation.

Where do you get your numbers?  :D

I was off by 20 :P

Total Power Draw : 145 Watts

I was off by 20 :P

Total Power Draw : 145 Watts

You should look to the technical reviews for load power consumption.  The 970 will ask for around 170W at 100% load... slightly more with an overclock.