What the differnece between EF and EF-S

Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

EF and EF-S are the mounts use by Canon DSLRs

EF are made for both APS-C and Full Frame

EF-S is made only for APS-C body

STM is a kind of Stepper motor assembly use recently in newer models which support faster auto focusing minus the focusing noise when you do video recording

I'm interested in buy the Cannon T5i but I don't know what type of lens to get, either the EF or EF-S also what does it mean when a lens is STM?

STM is a kind of Stepper motor assembly use recently in newer models which support faster auto focusing minus the focusing noise when you do video recording

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

EF-S is the cheaper lenses that are only compatible with the crop sensor cameras (like the T5i). They're cheaper because the rear lens element is smaller or something like that, the higher-end models can have image quality that's right up there with the nicer EF lenses. My favorite is the 60mm Canon macro. Super sharp and almost no distortion.

STM stands for STepper Motor and refers to the type of motor used in the lens for autofocus. I believe USM is better for stills and STM is better for videos.

EF-S is only for APS-C cameras that have a smaller body and mirror.EF is both for APS-C and normal cameras 

I would not waste money to get a T5(i).Just get a regular T5.

STM lens are the newer more expensive lenses that have more focus motors which allowed autofocus.STM is good for vids while USM is good for pics.

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Canon_EF_and_EF-S_lens_comparison.jpg

the above blown up picture

EF on the left and EF-S on the right

the extra length on the EF-S makes it not compatible with full frame bodies

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

EF-S is the cheaper lenses that are only compatible with the crop sensor cameras (like the T5i). They're cheaper because the rear lens element is smaller or something like that, the higher-end models can have image quality that's right up there with the nicer EF lenses. My favorite is the 60mm Canon macro. Super sharp and almost no distortion.

STM stands for STepper Motor and refers to the type of motor used in the lens for autofocus. I believe USM is better for stills and STM is better for videos.

You guys were a great help. Should I get the EF-S STM 18-55mm with the t5i? I probably wont get another camera for a few years, so I figured EF-S would save me money. Lastly, whats the difference between the aperture? Like f/1.4, f/1.8, f/3, f/3.5, f/5.6, and so on.

You guys were a great help. Should I get the EF-S STM 18-55mm with the t5i? I probably wont get another camera for a few years, so I figured EF-S would save me money. Lastly, whats the difference between the aperture? Like f/1.4, f/1.8, f/3, f/3.5, f/5.6, and so on.

if you want to stick to one lens

go for the 18-135MM version

i regret when i got the 18-55mm as it lack the range i needed to shoot the stage

f/1.4 is the f-stops but it just the fancy name for aperture widness

the smaller the number the wider the exposure aka brighter pictures

if you want to stick to one lens

go for the 18-135MM version

i regret when i got the 18-55mm as it lack the range i needed to shoot the stage

f/1.4 is the f-stops but it just the fancy name for aperture widness

the smaller the number the wider the exposure aka brighter pictures

I am going to be shooting close range, but later down the road I might buy a 75-300mm. Thanks