Phone Repair Business Advice needed.

AustinB

I recently got intrigued by phone repair, and noticed how many phones around my high school are actually busted up. So I've decided on tools and to some extent pricing. I was just wondering if any of you had experience in this business and could offer some knowledge. Firstly I was wondering if I should stock the most common problem parts such as the the display and battery for the most popular phones around the area(90% iPhones) if so how many? Also where do you reccomend I do the fixing, at my house (id pick them up and drop the off the next day) or go to their house and do the repair their?

Thanks.

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

I recently got intrigued by phone repair, and noticed how many phones around my high school are actually busted up. So I've decided on tools and to some extent pricing. I was just wondering if any of you had experience in this business and could offer some knowledge. Firstly I was wondering if I should stock the most common problem parts such as the the display and battery for the most popular phones around the area(90% iPhones) if so how many? Also where do you reccomend I do the fixing, at my house (id pick them up and drop the off the next day) or go to their house and do the repair their?

Thanks.

the best advice i can give you is know how to fix phones Kappa

Theres probably 10's of phone repairs around the city already , people have the option to get them repairs their just to lazy/ dont care

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

• You're in High school, focus on your education, and not starting a business.

You won't be able to get your hands on most of the parts you'd want to have in stock for repairs. 

Operating an actual business requires many-a licenses and permits. 

It's likely going to cost you more for the parts to repair the phones, if you can even get them, than it is for you to make from repairing them.

Most phones have warranties of sorts, either through the manufacturer, or the phone's carrier. Your potential customers would likely rather have them repaired that way, and avoid voiding their warranty, than to get it repaired second-hand.

Repairing anything other than the screen would be incredibly difficult for most people, including you. 

• You won't be able to get your hands on most of the parts you'd want to have in stock for repairs. 
  • Operating an actual business requires many-a licenses and permits. 
  • It's likely going to cost you more for the parts to repair the phones, if you can even get them, than it is for you to make from repairing them.
  • Most phones have warranties of sorts, either through the manufacturer, or the phone's carrier. Your potential customers would likely rather have them repaired that way, and avoid voiding their warranty, than to get it repaired second-hand.
  • Repairing anything other than the screen would be incredibly difficult for most people, including you. 

Good job shitting on his parade

I'd say, just buy a few tools and order the parts as you need them. I'd start with just fixing for friends and family, and than go from there and see where it takes you.

Good job shitting on his parade

It's called reality. He's 15 years old. I'm 18 years old. I have had a lot of big dreams for a long time, but I learned to accept that most of them were out of the realm of possibility. The only one I've yet to let go is making a career out of graphic design / content creation. I have no aspirations to start a company, because I know it's incredibly unrealistic. That's why I've fine-tuned my goals, to the point I know they're achievable, only if I try hard enough.

Theres probably 10's of phone repairs around the city already , people have the option to get them repairs their just to lazy/ dont care

Live in a rural area, small towns all around not really any repair shops.
  • You won't be able to get your hands on most of the parts you'd want to have in stock for repairs. 
  • Operating an actual business requires many-a licenses and permits. 
  • It's likely going to cost you more for the parts to repair the phones, if you can even get them, than it is for you to make from repairing them.
  • Most phones have warranties of sorts, either through the manufacturer, or the phone's carrier. Your potential customers would likely rather have them repaired that way, and avoid voiding their warranty, than to get it repaired second-hand.
  • Repairing anything other than the screen would be incredibly difficult for most people, including you. 
 By the end of this semester (my first year)ill be done 41% done all the required work. I already have a source for parts for the most popular phones around. Its fairly easy to get and permits and tax numbers required in Canada. I can actually charge cheaper than apple for a simple screen repair on any iPhone 5s/c. Why would they wait a week or two when a simple repair would take at most an hour?

I'd say, just buy a few tools and order the parts as you need them. I'd start with just fixing for friends and family, and than go from there and see where it takes you.

Thanks, now that i think about it, its probably best to start at the family, also while researching I found the best marketing strategy in this market is word of mouth and what Aunt/Uncle/Cousin wouldnt want to recommend their Nephew/Cousin. Thanks

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

It's called reality. He's 15 years old. I'm 18 years old. I have had a lot of big dreams for a long time, but I learned to accept that most of them were out of the realm of possibility. The only one I've yet to let go is making a career out of graphic design / content creation. I have no aspirations to start a company, because I know it's incredibly unrealistic. That's why I've fine-tuned my goals, to the point I know they're achievable, only if I try hard enough.

You're obviously not a very entrepreneurial thinking guy, and there is nothing wrong with that. Where do you think new products and concepts come from? The majority of the new products are from entrepreneurs, not huge companies such as apple or samsung. How is starting a simple repair business unrealistic, its not like it would take any more time than a regular after school job? Maybe you should consider working for yourself in the graphic design/ content creation business of the side of you're regular job.

You're obviously not a very entrepreneurial thinking guy, and there is nothing wrong with that. Where do you think new products and concepts come from? The majority of the new products are from entrepreneurs, not huge companies such as apple or samsung. How is starting a simple repair business unrealistic, its not like it would take any more time than a regular after school job? Maybe you should consider working for yourself in the graphic design/ content creation business of the side of you're regular job.

Kids looking to start businesses is something that has been going on for.. well, ever. Nothing is really wrong with that. The age-old "I want to be an astronaut when I grow up!" sort of thing comes to mind. Only a very, very select few of those ever succeeded, because they're the ones with A.) Money. B.) Dedication. C.) Nepotism. (The latter only occurs sometimes.) 

Threads like yours show up on this board almost every day, and they're usually answered in the exact same manner. "You're too young, and what you want to do is just not possible without a lot of money, dedication, and time." I'm not trying to demotivate you. I just want to make sure you're looking at things realistically, and not getting caught up daydreaming. 

OHHH yeah cause you "dreams" are compleltely achivable.

I did a thing once and it was awsome: https://soundcloud.com/jamese666/junkhead-cover-with-vocals

OHHH yeah cause you "dreams" are compleltely achivable.

That's the difference. My dream is to run a Network for Content Creation. Producing, with a team, original shows and short films, producing content for companies, and so forth. That's my dream.

My goal is to be able to create a sustainable career out of graphic design and video production, editing, et cetera. Which is much more achievable. I'm not starting a business, and I'm not being too ambitious. Merely looking for employment based on my skills.

Kids looking to start businesses is something that has been going on for.. well, ever. Nothing is really wrong with that. The age-old "I want to be an astronaut when I grow up!" sort of thing comes to mind. Only a very, very select few of those ever succeeded, because they're the ones with A.) Money. B.) Dedication. C.) Nepotism. (The latter only occurs sometimes.) 

Threads like yours show up on this board almost every day, and they're usually answered in the exact same manner. "You're too young, and what you want to do is just not possible without a lot of money, dedication, and time." I'm not trying to demotivate you. I just want to make sure you're looking at things realistically, and not getting caught up daydreaming.

Thanks, but the start-up costs are very reasonable, with only a couple of repairs, I would be turning a profit. Glad you can actually have a conversation on the internet, most i encounter would have completely freaked out responding to my previous comment.

Thanks.

I'd always buy it in terms of MONEY.  Buy $100 worth of iPhone screens.  See how long they last.  The quicker they run yourself out of stock, the more you charge for that part (fairly simple).  If you have to order some, and someone has to wait, then you can assume that the customer will understand a 2 day hold time.  (If you'll order your screens off of Amazon you can get free 2 day shipping).

Also, a key point for my in the business I ran, was buying in bulk when I seen a sale.  For example, a iPhone 4 screen can be found for $30 at a average sale rate.  Occasionally I would see them as low as $16 and I would buy about 5 of them, knowing that I would be able to sell them for $40 and add a $20 labor fee onto it.

Additionally, dont be afraid to charge more for labor.  That was my mistake.  This is a vaulable service, I'd charge $40 for a easier phone and $60 for a harder phone per screen replacement.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

That's the difference. My dream is to run a Network for Content Creation. Producing, with a team, original shows and short films, producing content for companies, and so forth. That's my dream.

My goal is to be able to create a sustainable career out of graphic design and video production, editing, et cetera. Which is much more achievable. I'm not starting a business, and I'm not being too ambitious. Merely looking for employment based on my skills.

It really is not more Achiviable than creating a bussiness

I did a thing once and it was awsome: https://soundcloud.com/jamese666/junkhead-cover-with-vocals

I'd always buy it in terms of MONEY.  Buy $100 worth of iPhone screens.  See how long they last.  The quicker they run yourself out of stock, the more you charge for that part (fairly simple).  If you have to order some, and someone has to wait, then you can assume that the customer will understand a 2 day hold time.  (If you'll order your screens off of Amazon you can get free 2 day shipping).

Also, a key point for my in the business I ran, was buying in bulk when I seen a sale.  For example, a iPhone 4 screen can be found for $30 at a average sale rate.  Occasionally I would see them as low as $16 and I would buy about 5 of them, knowing that I would be able to sell them for $40 and add a $20 labor fee onto it.

Additionally, dont be afraid to charge more for labor.  That was my mistake.  This is a vaulable service, I'd charge $40 for a easier phone and $60 for a harder phone per screen replacement.

I dont plan on charging a hourly rate per-sae, i planed on charging like so: [ (4/3 * Material Cost) then later 5/3rds depending on the item]. I could get 2 iphone 5s/c screens from the current source although i havnt searched heavily. Thanks

I dont plan on charging a hourly rate per-sae, i planed on charging like so: [ (4/3 * Material Cost) then later 5/3rds depending on the item]. I could get 2 iphone 5s/c screens from the current source although i havnt searched heavily. Thanks

Thats not a good business plan.  Reason being it sets a "standard" price.  You want people to see your labor as well as the parts.  Look at any auto repair shop.  You dont want to go repairing a screen that someone had tried to repair from before with some gurrilla glue.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Thats not a good business plan.  Reason being it sets a "standard" price.  You want people to see your labor as well as the parts.  Look at any auto repair shop.  You dont want to go repairing a screen that someone had tried to repair from before with some gurrilla glue.

Would $20/hr be reasonable? What you personally charge for labour? Assuming you're in this business.

Would $20/hr be reasonable? What you personally charge for labour? Assuming you're in this business.

My flat hourly rate was $40 per hour for something typical and $60 per hour for a speciality.  But I would charge per job since you're looking to do mostly screen repairs.

Spoiler

My flat hourly rate was $40 per hour for something typical and $60 per hour for a speciality.  But I would charge per job since you're looking to do mostly screen repairs.

Yeah, $40 an hour seams more reasonable considering most things that would need to be changed shouldnt take more than 30min unless half of the phone needs to be replaced. Also what marketing techniques do you use? Ive been think about hanging flyers around my town after I get registered as a Sole Proprietorship, BN and GST/HST numbers.

Do you have a Skype? If do would you be interested in adding me to discuss further.

i would charge per fix (although with exceptions, if someone messed with it before ask the base price+an hourly rate), you can swap an iphone screen in half an hour (iphone 4, 5 is even faster. and 5s and further is not recommended because of the finger scanner, it's tied to the logic board)

you can buy the parts from chine, aliexpress is a good source, although quality can be an issue and do not expect any warranty at all. i had several screens with minor issues and had to up the prices to clients. (from 40 euro to 60, which is still fairly cheap over here)

but my best recommendation would be: don't do it. or only do it for close friends and family... it will cost you more time than you may think and you won't earn that much from it. 

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

if you have further questions you can message me here.

Yeah, $40 an hour seams more reasonable considering most things that would need to be changed shouldnt take more than 30min unless half of the phone needs to be replaced. Also what marketing techniques do you use? Ive been think about hanging flyers around my town after I get registered as a Sole Proprietorship, BN and GST/HST numbers.

Do you have a Skype? If do would you be interested in adding me to discuss further.

Spoiler

i would charge per fix (although with exceptions, if someone messed with it before ask the base price+an hourly rate), you can swap an iphone screen in half an hour (iphone 4, 5 is even faster. and 5s and further is not recommended because of the finger scanner, it's tied to the logic board)

you can buy the parts from chine, aliexpress is a good source, although quality can be an issue and do not expect any warranty at all. i had several screens with minor issues and had to up the prices to clients. (from 40 euro to 60, which is still fairly cheap over here)

but my best recommendation would be: don't do it. or only do it for close friends and family... it will cost you more time than you may think and you won't earn that much from it.

Could you provide some specific examples on why I shouldn't do it?

Also the source i have comes with lifetime warrenties on some parts.