Storing a CPU

Go to solution Solved by Kuzma,

Its an i5 3570k and thanks! i will put it on a piece of paper then

^_^ please mark this as solved to help anyone else searching

Motherboard died and have to go replace my Motherboard so CPU has to be taken out. How should I store it ? Do I clean off the thermal compound when my CPU is still in the old mobo?

i5 3570k | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | Crucial M4 128GB | WD 1 TB Black |

Just put it back in the retail box. You can clean off the compound while its still in the old mobo

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

I would leave it in the motherboard with cpu cooler on top in a good temperature area and away from sunlight.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Retail packaging if possible, or place it in an anti-static bag and put it in a plastic container. Clean off the TIM before-hand. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

If its AMD then clean it when its in the socket because of the pins on the cpu instead of pins in the socket

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I store my spare CPU's under liquid nitrogen in a sealed vessel.  B)

Yea, right, they just sit on a shelf and everyone pretty much fondles them when they see them... still work when I finally get around to using them again. OK some of them are in a anti-static bag, some bags are filed with older ones, anyone want a P4 :P

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

what kind of p4 is it hahahahahahahahaha

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

I have a p4 from socket mPGA478B :)!

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Clean the thermal compound using rubbing alcohol and a paper towel when it is on the socket and after you finished cleaning it put it in an anti static bag or a plastic container if it is an intel processor and I would leave the cpu in the socket if it is an AMD cpu to avoid bending the pins.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

• 2 weeks later...

Is it okay to leave the CPU with the pins facing up (flat side touching the paper) , onto a piece of clean white paper ( those that you use for printing )

i5 3570k | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | Crucial M4 128GB | WD 1 TB Black |

Is it okay to leave the CPU with the pins facing up (flat side touching the paper) , onto a piece of clean white paper ( those that you use for printing )

If you are using a LGA socket Intel CPU, its fine because there are no pins that are going to be bent because all the pins are on the motherboard. 

If it is an AMD cpu, its fine as long as you don't put something heavy on the pins that will cause it to bend. I would personally find a box and put it with the pins facing up in a safe place where it won't be moved/accidentally knocked down because if you face your pins up it will be exposed and it can be easily bent. 

Its fine to put any cpu on a piece of paper, its just that some cpus have pins and it would be best to put in in a box/container in order to avoid bending of pins.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If you are using a LGA socket Intel CPU, its fine because there are no pins that are going to be bent because all the pins are on the motherboard. 

If it is an AMD cpu, its fine as long as you don't put something heavy on the pins that will cause it to bend. I would personally find a box and put it with the pins facing up in a safe place where it won't be moved/accidentally knocked down because if you face your pins up it will be exposed and it can be easily bent. 

Its fine to put any cpu on a piece of paper, its just that some cpus have pins and it would be best to put in in a box/container in order to avoid bending of pins.

^_^ please mark this as solved to help anyone else searching

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball