AMD is "Transforming"

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Rory-Reed-2Q-2013-Xbox-PLayStation-Temash,23597.html

"Our focus on restructuring and transforming AMD resulted in improved financial results," Read said. [...] "We expect significant revenue growth and a return to profitability in the third quarter."

AMD said that for 3Q 2103, it expects to see revenue to increase 22 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, sequentially. That's likely because the company's APU will be appearing in the Xbox One and Playstation 4 this fall, and it already has a chip in Nintendo's struggling Wii U.

Comment: 

If Steamroller can continue the +15% improvement, then the competition will really tighten seing how Haswell is barely 5% faster than 2 generations old Sandy Bridge.

New APUs will rule the world, if the same 15% applies there (hopefully with new GPUs)

In the fall the money will start flowing with the sell of the next-gen consoles.

Once HD9000 launches, expect AMD to rule over Nvidia easily.

As far as I'm concerned, AMD is pretty much set.

And perhaps maybe some mATX boards for high end chips for a change?

What about Mini ITX?

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Mini itx would be such a great idea.
If Asus made a MoBo like the one with the extra pcb for vrm, and have a new steamroller 4,5 ghz cpu in something like a prodigy, that would blow away every intel solution in that pricepoint  imo

I'll believe it when I see it. As long as AMD's number are all inflated, I won't trust or recommend them unless the budget demands it. 

Hopefully the new CPU's will be more reliable core for core.

Hopefully the 9000 series won't have bad frame latency/stuttering.

But we will see.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The fact that they managed to get their books in order so that they are no longer making a loss every quarter in an economy with businesses folding right, left and centre and even cities going bankrupt with 15 billion dollars of debt speaks a lot about how AMD has turned their business around.

I really hope they can get some competition into the desktop market, maybe integrate top level GPU chips on their APU, so that you can crossfire it with a decent dedicated card (crossfire performance in an mITX form factor would be something that neither Intel nor nVidia could compete with).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I don't think comparing Haswell to the current/next generation AMD APU/CPU is fair. The design ethos of Haswell was to minimise power consumption as much as possible without compromising performance, however, AMD's latest APU/CPU have not been based around such ethos, rather it was more like" screw lower power consumption, we want more jigahertz"

Also, looking NVIDIA's roadmap, it has a lot of potential behind it, whether they will execute it well, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure I'll get some flack for what I'm about to say but... 

I SMELL AMD FANBOYS HERE
Note: I am not an Intel nor a NVIDIA fanboy, as long as it does what I want it to do, I'm happy. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I really hope they can get some competition into the desktop market, maybe integrate top level GPU chips on their APU, so that you can crossfire it with a decent dedicated card (crossfire performance in an mITX form factor would be something that neither Intel nor nVidia could compete with).

IF they get that stuttering and latency problem fixed.

But if they do, it would be pretty awesome.

I'll believe it when I see it. As long as AMD's number are all inflated, I won't trust or recommend them unless the budget demands it. 

Hopefully the new CPU's will be more reliable core for core.

Hopefully the 9000 series won't have bad frame latency/stuttering.

But we will see.

That's only for Crossfire,and supposedly Radeon Pro fixes it.

Though as to a hardware metering solution like Nvidia's,I doubt they'll have it with the HD 9000 series,although they should have drivers for it ready soon.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

The fact that they had a working prototype driver within two months of acknowledging the issue, and a release planned for the WHQL version only 6 months down the line (next week) speaks volumes about them taking it seriously and actively working on a fix.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Didn't they say they wouldn't release new GPU's before it is fixed?

Though as to a hardware metering solution like Nvidia's,I doubt they'll have it with the HD 9000 series,although they should have drivers for it ready soon.

If a software solution fixes it (RadeonPro does and that isn't even AMD software) why waste PCB space on a hardware solution when that PCB space could be used for higher performance?

I just turned this entire thing into an MMORPG general chat in my head...

AMD: Ding! Level 2 bitches!

Nvidia: That's cute. (Is level 80 and full of epics)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well, from what I've seen, the frame latency/jitter, even on singe GPU cards for AMD pretty much sucks. I remember Linus doing a video on it but can't find it anymore. It basically explained that FPS wasn't everything as the quality of that FPS matters quite a bit. 

The thing that crossfire causes and the innate frame latency on AMD Single GPU cards are sort of two different things that are only similar. At least that's how I've come to understand it. I could be very wrong. Who knows. 

Not saying AMD GPU's are unplayable/horrible, since they work, but I prefer quality over quantity. Because of the frame latency/jitter, lower FPS on AMD GPU's feels more unplayable than lower FPS on Nvidia GPU's.

This is why I say their numbers are "inflated". Their cores aren't really whole cores (as Linus explained) and the high FPS they do get is plagued with high frame latency making it a bit moot to get high FPS. Though, that was indeed fixed by RadeonPro apparently according to benchmarks.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Like LifesCompanion said its really not a fair comparison as Haswell is a lower power based platform and amds chip that comes close to it consumes 3 times as much power even more when overclocked. Not being a intel fanboy I own a intel and a amd based system.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Like LifesCompanion said its really not a fair comparison as Haswell is a lower power based platform and amds chip that comes close to it consumes 3 times as much power even more when overclocked. Not being a intel fanboy I own a intel and a amd based system.

Could you imagine if Intel went all-out and made a CPU that was pure enthusiast that consumed the power of AMD's CPU? 

I think a Dodeca-core at 4.0+GHz would be bawlin' (that's 12). ... It'd probably cost $5,000-$10,000. 

Note for you European/Eastern world people, the comma in the US represents a separation by digits. Our $5,000.00 = your 5.000,00

Confusing. Very confusing.

† Christian Member †

intel will only release a good cpu when amd pose a serious threat in the enthusiast market. Atm no one will be buying a 9590 or whatever that 5.0ghz chip is called for gaming......just like many try to push for intel over amd for gaming. The per core performance is just better on intel........and all the multithreaded workload games crap is kinda useless atm.....plus intel still has its i7's for that area.......hopefully with both intel and amd releasing their new chips in 2014 we see them fighting it out for whos better....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

and all the multithreaded workload games crap is kinda useless atm....

-Anubikai

i supposed you never edited a vid/photo, did simulation work or other kind of computer intensive work...

but for gaming it s useless atm that s true...

but it ll change soon with console having a AMD 8 core 1ghz cpu, ports will be optimised for multithreaded cpus...

(they better be or game performance will be close to a atom netbook)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I just turned this entire thing into an MMORPG general chat in my head...

AMD: Ding! Level 2 bitches!

Nvidia: That's cute. (Is level 80 and full of epics)

Hahaha, funny thing is, AMD at level 2 completely destroys nvidia at level 80, how funny is that !? Nvidia needs to step up its game and not get ganked by smurfs.

i supposed you never edited a vid/photo, did simulation work or other kind of computer intensive work...

but for gaming it s useless atm that s true...

but it ll change soon with console having a AMD 8 core 1ghz cpu, ports will be optimised for multithreaded cpus...

(they better be or game performance will be close to a atom netbook)

The 8 core CPU in both consoles does not have a specified "GHz" so saying 1GHz is incorrect. Although saying this it would more likely be 2/2.5 GHz

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The 8 core CPU in both consoles does not have a specified "GHz" so saying 1GHz is incorrect. Although saying this it would more likely be 2/2.5 GHz

It's actually at a base clock of 1.6Ghz and boosts up to 2.3Ghz.

It's actually at a base clock of 1.6Ghz and boosts up to 2.3Ghz.

How do you know this? Is this just a rumour or has Microsoft and Sony validated this? If not then it isn't true.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I would like to see a new AMD architecture.  This 2 core per module design with 1 floating integer is VERY in-efficient.  Throwing more IPC's, core and GHz at a 32 pipeline structure isn't going to scale performance as well as they'd like.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

How do you know this? Is this just a rumour or has Microsoft and Sony validated this? If not then it isn't true.

The 1.6Ghz is the official clock speed, 2.3Ghz is the turbo speed similar Jaguar processors achieve.