Portable Over-Ear Headphones with Medium Impedance

ebones5

Hey guys,

I am looking for a pair of headphones that is portable, can be driven by something like an iPhone (basically medium impedance), and is over ear. I was looking at DT770's but, fitting them in something like a backpack may raise some "breaking issues" The reason for the medium impedance is I like to have a great audio experience at my computer +DAC/Amp but I would also to like to listen "on the go" without having them break. The budget would be <300 USD preferably under $200. 

Thanks,

Phillip

The problem is that they are not very high impedance. I was thinking about ATH-M50x but they don't benefit from an amp. Do the Momentum's benefit from an amp? (also they are a bit pricey)

Sennheiser hd25 aluminum and beyerdynamic dt1350 are both amazing on ear headphones the hd25 aluminum is the more balanced one while the dt1350 is a warmer headphone both are outstanding.

Both are also very good in isolating, comfort and especially build quality.

There are actually a few misconceptions in the OP, and a few are even contradicting themselves. That makes it hard to give a solid option.

For example, the M50x. While it's not the best choice, and a bit overpriced, it's a good example of how a mobile headphone should be. But you don't want it, because it doesn't benefit from an additional amp. By definition, 'benefit from an amp' refer to headphones that are hard to drive, and need the extra juices from the amp to sound proper and good. But if going by that, then that category of headphones won't be ideal for mobile uses, unless you're willing to get an additional portable amp and chug it all around.

Uh, what? You will only see benefit from an amp if your current audio source is shit or your headphones do not get loud enough from it. You cannot have something that is both drivable from a phone and requires an amp at your desktop. Getting a higher impedance can will not change that and has nothing to with the suitability for amplification anyway.

What I mean from "Benefit from an amp" is like the DT770 250 Ohm, they work on a mobile device, but really benefit from an amp (at least this is what I've heard). Sorry, next time I will be clearer.

What I mean from "Benefit from an amp" is like the DT770 250 Ohm, they work on a mobile device, but really benefit from an amp (at least this is what I've heard). Sorry, next time I will be clearer.

Now why would you want something that won't sound as good with your phone?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Mainly, it's that I have an amp and dac (Schiit Stack) and I would not like it to go to waste.