1TB 850EVO vs 500gb 850EVO and 2TB WD Black

nodim666

Hey guys

just wonder which way is better to go for my needs.

850 EVO 500gb and WD 2TB Black costs just a bit less than a 1 TB 850 EVO SSD

now to be honest with you i don't really need an HDD but i always like to add one just in case i need that extra storage

in my current old rig im using a 2TB old seagate HDD and i just use it for backup old photos/games/software's and some old movies 

i also have an old ssd which is 256gb and i got 166GB free out of 238gb

i also plan on removing the HDD cages from the R5 case so for better airflow/cable management 

so i was thinking maybe a 1TB SSD is the way to go...it should PLENTYYYYYYYY for me in terms of storage

and it will help me with the CASE design because i can just plug it in the back of case behind the Motherboard

also ! no HDD means less noise. and i can just take my OLD 2tb seagate and use it with my USB TO SATA kit when i need to backup something

what do you think?

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

If you think you will need the 2tb hdd then go with that. If you think 1tb will be enough then get the ssd

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

-snip-

If you think you will need the 2tb hdd then go with that. If you think 1tb will be enough then get the ssd

^yeah, that's pretty much it.

Will you use that 2TB of space? Or not?

If you wont, go for the SSD. It will indeed make less noise

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i think i wont use it and like i said even if i decide  i need to use a 2TB hdd i can take my old 2TB Seagate and plug it using sata to usb KIT 

right now i have 166gb free space out of my 238gb ssd so 1TB should be very very good . do you know how much real space i get with the 850evo 1tb?

^yeah, that's pretty much it.

Will you use that 2TB of space? Or not?

If you wont, go for the SSD. It will indeed make less noise

i think it will also help with case airflow/cables because i will be able to REMOVE all HDD Cages :)

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

i think i wont use it and like i said even if i decide  i need to use a 2TB hdd i can take my old 2TB Seagate and plug it using sata to usb KIT 

right now i have 166gb free space out of my 238gb ssd so 1TB should be very very good . do you know how much real space i get with the 850evo 1tb?

i think it will also help with case airflow/cables because i will be able to REMOVE all HDD Cages :)

You can as well get a 1tb ssd and get a 50$ worth 1tb hdd if you wish. Or a 750gb ssd and 1tb hdd

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

You should get around 930GB in Windows, because of the conversion from GiB to GB (or the other way around, can't remember)

And removing the cages should indeed help

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

ok thanks for the help 

id go with the 1TB ssd should be best.

A couple of us have similar cases - we used the two mounting points on the back of the motherboard tray for two SSDs - and removed all the cages at the front of the case for unobstructed fan airflow.

It also looks cleaner and makes it easier to build in/upgrade (and in my case improved the positive air pressure) so definitely go for it if you don't need the extra 2 Tb space.

Also - I velcroed a 2.5" HDD to the inner case floor just below the bottom front intake fan using a drive sled as mount, and it doesn't look bad, so you aren't totally out of options if you remove the cages.

Hey guys

just wonder which way is better to go for my needs.

850 EVO 500gb and WD 2TB Black costs just a bit less than a 1 TB 850 EVO SSD

now to be honest with you i don't really need an HDD but i always like to add one just in case i need that extra storage

in my current old rig im using a 2TB old seagate HDD and i just use it for backup old photos/games/software's and some old movies 

i also have an old ssd which is 256gb and i got 166GB free out of 238gb

i also plan on removing the HDD cages from the R5 case so for better airflow/cable management 

so i was thinking maybe a 1TB SSD is the way to go...it should PLENTYYYYYYYY for me in terms of storage

and it will help me with the CASE design because i can just plug it in the back of case behind the Motherboard

also ! no HDD means less noise. and i can just take my OLD 2tb seagate and use it with my USB TO SATA kit when i need to backup something

what do you think?

Hey nodim666,

It really depends if you need the extra amount of storage. WD Black is a drive designed for performance and durability and works great for simple storage as well as for demanding games and applications. 
Having data on two separate drives (regardless if they are SSD or HDD) gives you some safety in case one of them fails (you'd have the data on the other one safe). I personally would always recommend having multiple smaller drives than one larger one and always having backups on external drives that are not connected to the system. 
The rest depends entirely on your needs. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

A couple of us have similar cases - we used the two mounting points on the back of the motherboard tray for two SSDs - and removed all the cages at the front of the case for unobstructed fan airflow.

It also looks cleaner and makes it easier to build in/upgrade (and in my case improved the positive air pressure) so definitely go for it if you don't need the extra 2 Tb space.

Also - I velcroed a 2.5" HDD to the inner case floor just below the bottom front intake fan using a drive sled as mount, and it doesn't look bad, so you aren't totally out of options if you remove the cages.

yea its exactly what im looking for

Hey nodim666,

It really depends if you need the extra amount of storage. WD Black is a drive designed for performance and durability and works great for simple storage as well as for demanding games and applications. 
Having data on two separate drives (regardless if they are SSD or HDD) gives you some safety in case one of them fails (you'd have the data on the other one safe). I personally would always recommend having multiple smaller drives than one larger one and always having backups on external drives that are not connected to the system. 
The rest depends entirely on your needs. :)

Captain_WD.

So why are you buying something new if you're only utilizing 50%?

because right now i dont use anything but when i get the new rig its going to be filled with games like TOMBRAIDER/BF4/THEWITCHER3/KF2 and much more

not to mention all the tv shows and movies i download aswell

so it will be filled pretty fast:)

because right now i dont use anything but when i get the new rig its going to be filled with games like TOMBRAIDER/BF4/THEWITCHER3/KF2 and much more

not to mention all the tv shows and movies i download aswell

so it will be filled pretty fast:)

Ah, I didn't realize it was for a new rig. Ignore whatever I said :D

120gb SSD for OS. 500gb SSD for most games you'll play. 4TB HDD dedicated for Steam/GoG/Origin/Uplay games+download.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero