Do I need a soundcard?

RedLithos

Recently, my SteelSeries Siberia V2 broke and I sent it for an RMA. They were kind enough to replace it for me with a V3. However, the USB sound card that came with the V2 (and noticeably improved the audio quality) was incompatible with the V3 - it made a constant screeching noise. Therefore, I had to plug the headset straight to the headset/mic jacks on the back panel. The sound was different, but this was largely due to the different headset. My problem is that whenever I move my mouse, I hear a slight sizzling noise. Perhaps something is interfering with the motherboard audio chip? Would a sound card fix my issues? My motherboard is GIGABYTE PH67A-D3-B3.

You have the Realtek 889... a good high end onboard sound chip....

I would not do it, Syberia headset's are hardly high end enough to warrant a sound card, only other reason i would do it is for better sound positioning in games that need sound to get better (CSGO comes to mind)

Sizzling might be due to interference, i mean you could always install the realtek drivers... most people forget they even exist.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

I would not do it, Syberia headset's are hardly high end enough to warrant a sound card, only other reason i would do it is for better sound positioning in games that need sound to get better (CSGO comes to mind)

Sizzling might be due to interference, i mean you could always install the realtek drivers... most people forget they even exist.

I do have the drivers installed. Would a sound card fix the sizzling? I didn't have any noises with the external sound card of the V2. I am OK with the quality, I just want to fix the annoying noise.

I do have the drivers installed. Would a sound card fix the sizzling? I didn't have any noises with the external sound card of the V2. I am OK with the quality, I just want to fix the annoying noise.

Sure, but if this is just to stop the annoying noise, you won't have to go too expensive :)

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

That's called crosstalk.

Data going through the usb interfaces are interfering with the audio signal. Try and move your mouse usb plug to the front while keeping your audio in the back.

You may need to get an external amp dac.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Sure, but if this is just to stop the annoying noise, you won't have to go too expensive :)

Would this do the job?

Would this do the job?

Yeah.

Although it seems like OP is going for the DGX, this post tickles a bit:

I think the point is somewhat missing. The point is, the current system got problems. Doesn't matter if it's realtek 889, or a $200 STX, or a $500 external dac/amp, when it got problems, it got problems. Not adding/replacing/doing anything won't magically solve the problem. 

Will installing the newest realtek driver make the interference go away?

-

It would fix the issue, weather it's the cheapest/best way I don't know

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Recently, my SteelSeries Siberia V2 broke and I sent it for an RMA. They were kind enough to replace it for me with a V3. However, the USB sound card that came with the V2 (and noticeably improved the audio quality) was incompatible with the V3 - it made a constant screeching noise. Therefore, I had to plug the headset straight to the headset/mic jacks on the back panel. The sound was different, but this was largely due to the different headset. My problem is that whenever I move my mouse, I hear a slight sizzling noise. Perhaps something is interfering with the motherboard audio chip? Would a sound card fix my issues? My motherboard is GIGABYTE PH67A-D3-B3.

Buying a dedicated soundcard will ease the problem but may not solve it.

I have a dedicated sound card (asus essence 7.1) and I still get interference.

I knew this would be the case as I use all of my PCI-e slots and most of my USBs so I have a lot going on, however moving to a dedicated card means I no longer hear it while on the desktop.

If I overclock my GPU and start gaming then it will come back, but it's very faint.

TL;DR No, it may not solve the problem, but it helps.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Getting a external usb dac and amp sounds like a much better bet on making sure you remove the noise. Because if its noise coming from the motherboard, moving for a pci board 2 inches away from your current audio chipset could potentially still pick up the noise. A external usb dac/amp combo will move the analog signal(part that easily picks up the noise) outside of your computer case which should separate it from all the noise.

Also have you tested the headphones on other devices just to rule them out as the cultrip, also have you tried unplugging the mic? Some headsets send some of the mic audio through the headset so you can hear yourself talk and that may be the root of the noise somehow.

I had this interference issue before, but I solved it. Whenever you plug in your headphones, go into your audio manager (like realtec audio manager or some sort) and change the task of the headset from "headphones" to something like "front speaker out". This what I did and I found that all static and interference noises went away on my headphones. Although it made the sound a bit more quiet, you can easily just up the volume by like 5% and go back to what you had it at before. Even after increasing the volume up 5% to go back to your original, there still won't be any static or interference.Try and see if that's an option for you.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle