PSU choice for a new X99 build

MG0518
Go to solution Solved by MG0518,

Thanks guys.

The EVGA is indeed very appealing, but I've ordered the Corsair HX in the end. It's not that I did not take your points into consideration, but here is the rationale behind.

First, price wise, I had the Corsair for 229€ thanks to a discount I had at my favorite online shop.EVGA PSUs are not sold by them, and the P2 was hard to find in online shops from my area (Europe/Luxembourg); prices for it ranged from 229€ to 249€, so rather aligned

Second, the Corsair is more quiet under load.

Third, the Corsair is shorter(180mm vs 200mm for EVGA/Super Flower), which would give me more options when installed in my "primary choice" future case, the Fractal Design Define R5.

Fourth, the Super Flower version did not appeal to me as I didn't like the LED lighting and that putting the vent downward would break its look

Current lead time to get the Corsair is about 2 weeks, plus I have 2 weeks of right of return, so I decide for another case than the R5 within a month (Enthoo Luxe for ex), it might be that I'll not keep the HX and get the EVGA instead.

Thanks again for bringing the EVGA to my attention as a better alternative to the Super Flower.

Hello,

I'm going to order tomorrow parts for a new build based on Haswell-E & X99.

CPU i7-5960X, Asus X99 Deluxe, AIO watercooling (H110i GT or Kraken X61), single GPU GTX 980, 1 SSD.

For the PSU, I'm still hesitating between ~850W (Corsair HX850i) or ~1000W (Corsair HX1000i, SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W).

My analysis is that with 1000W under load from the system, it should be drawing around 420W, which is in the best efficiency range.

Any other thoughts on the right "capacity" for the PSU please?

Any inputs regarding Corsair HX versus Flower Power please?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Can't you get away with 650 watts or 750 watts

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Hello,

CPU i7-5960X, Asus X99 Deluxe, AIO watercooling (H110i GT or Kraken X61), single GPU GTX 980, 1 SSD.

For the PSU, I'm still hesitating between ~850W (Corsair HX850i) or ~1000W (Corsair HX1000i, SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W).

My analysis is that with 1000W under load from the system, it should be drawing around 420W, which is in the best efficiency range.

Thanks,

Kind regards,

dont overthink it get an evga  g2 series psu theyre amazing theyre 80 plus gold and since you are new here i have to ask why do you need x99? and why do you need a 1000 dollar cpu?

askdjfasdf

Hello,

Thanks,

Kind regards,

personally I'd recommend either EVGA's G2 line or something from Corsairs AX line (don't waste your money on the "i" models though IMO) 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I got Corsair's AX1200i for black Friday and it was on the best decisions I have made in terms of building a new system. 

personally I'd recommend either EVGA's G2 line or something from Corsairs AX line (don't waste your money on the "i" models though IMO) 

Leadex Platinum is pretty much a G2, :D.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Both made by superflower?

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

First of all, thanks for your answers, much appreciated.

Can't you get away with 650 watts or 750 watts

Indeed, that would fit. My rationale for choosing bigger PSU is that I would run it at max around 40-50% load range, which is where it's the most efficient, but also it would stay completly quiet in most situations (for example HX1000i's fan starts spinning at 400W).

I also want to be covererd would I add a more demanding GPU in a couple of years.

dont overthink it get an evga  g2 series psu theyre amazing theyre 80 plus gold and since you are new here i have to ask why do you need x99? and why do you need a 1000 dollar cpu?

I had a quick look at EVGA G2, but they are not that easy to find in my area (Western Europe).

I'm going for X99 and 8-core CPU because aside gaming I use my PC partially for work, then running VMware ESXi and half-dozen of rather demanding VMs.

EVGA is harder to find in my region, and I've read that G2s are based on Super Flower Leadex, the latter being Platinum versus Gold for the G2.

So in the end, Super Flower and EVGA are aligned in terms of price (Super Flower 209.90 € on a french site, EVGA 214.90 € on a German site).

Agree with the "i" versions for Corsair, no choice for HX though  :(  AX look extremely good, but are pretty expensive unfortunately, so a 1000W HX is about the same price as 860W AX. Apparently, the HX would be more quiet at the fan starts spinning at higher load versus the AX.

You're right, I've read that on Tech PowerUp and JohnyGuru site. G2 seems like a slightly more cost-effective version of Super Flower, and also maybe a way for Super Flower to have a foot in the North-American market?

Both made by superflower?

No clue  :(

As the EVGA is not really an option for me, what would you recommend between the Corsair and Super Flower?

SuperFlower Leadex is G2, but Leadex Platinum is P2. Get either Leadex or Leadex Platinum, the Corsairs are all overpriced at current prices.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

First of all, thanks for your answers, much appreciated.

Indeed, that would fit. My rationale for choosing bigger PSU is that I would run it at max around 40-50% load range, which is where it's the most efficient, but also it would stay completly quiet in most situations (for example HX1000i's fan starts spinning at 400W).

I also want to be covererd would I add a more demanding GPU in a couple of years.

I had a quick look at EVGA G2, but they are not that easy to find in my area (Western Europe).

I'm going for X99 and 8-core CPU because aside gaming I use my PC partially for work, then running VMware ESXi and half-dozen of rather demanding VMs.

EVGA is harder to find in my region, and I've read that G2s are based on Super Flower Leadex, the latter being Platinum versus Gold for the G2.

So in the end, Super Flower and EVGA are aligned in terms of price (Super Flower 209.90 € on a french site, EVGA 214.90 € on a German site).

Agree with the "i" versions for Corsair, no choice for HX though  :(  AX look extremely good, but are pretty expensive unfortunately, so a 1000W HX is about the same price as 860W AX. Apparently, the HX would be more quiet at the fan starts spinning at higher load versus the AX.

You're right, I've read that on Tech PowerUp and JohnyGuru site. G2 seems like a slightly more cost-effective version of Super Flower, and also maybe a way for Super Flower to have a foot in the North-American market?

No clue  :(

As the EVGA is not really an option for me, what would you recommend between the Corsair and Super Flower?

SuperFlower make the EVGA B2/G2/P2/T2 as well as their own Leadex range.

You should be able to get EVGA pretty easily in Europe. Which Country are you in ? 

I would go with the SuperFlower (or EVGA) over Corsair as they are usually better priced. 

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Found the EVGA P2 in Germany: https://www.caseking.de/en/evga-supernova-p2-netzteil-80-plus-platinum-1000-watt-neev-015.html

Super Flower Leadex available from the same site, 40€ cheaper. Price of P2 is on par with the HX1000i at my favourite shop, but I can have 6% discount on the latter.

Based on the different reviews I've read, Leadex-based are the best ones technically speaking, but I'm still hesitating. HX is smaller (180mm vs 200mm), has flat cables and seems to be more silent.

My favorite case is the Fractal Design R5 (Enthoo Luxe second as #2), how would you see both PSUs fit in? What about round cables from EVGA versus flat from Corsair?

Any other inputs/comments/real-life experience please?

(if you have some pics of your gear is either case, feel free to show off  :) )

Pretty much every Corsair PSU is overpriced. Go for Super Flower if it's cheaper.

"Rawr XD"

Thanks guys.

The EVGA is indeed very appealing, but I've ordered the Corsair HX in the end. It's not that I did not take your points into consideration, but here is the rationale behind.

First, price wise, I had the Corsair for 229€ thanks to a discount I had at my favorite online shop.EVGA PSUs are not sold by them, and the P2 was hard to find in online shops from my area (Europe/Luxembourg); prices for it ranged from 229€ to 249€, so rather aligned

Second, the Corsair is more quiet under load.

Third, the Corsair is shorter(180mm vs 200mm for EVGA/Super Flower), which would give me more options when installed in my "primary choice" future case, the Fractal Design Define R5.

Fourth, the Super Flower version did not appeal to me as I didn't like the LED lighting and that putting the vent downward would break its look

Current lead time to get the Corsair is about 2 weeks, plus I have 2 weeks of right of return, so I decide for another case than the R5 within a month (Enthoo Luxe for ex), it might be that I'll not keep the HX and get the EVGA instead.

Thanks again for bringing the EVGA to my attention as a better alternative to the Super Flower.

X99 demands some dedication. GO CRAZY, GO AX1500i

harness ALL THE POWER....

Leadex Platinum 2000W "8 pack" More like >:D.

you don't really need 1500W nevermind 2000W xD, just see if you can grab the Super flower unit personally :D

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD