Is 1600dpi enough?

Enderman
Go to solution Solved by Thony,

I'm not sure, it feels like it will be less accurate since it would be taking the mouse sensitivity and just multiplying it by two...instead of it being native DPI

Do you know if there are any adverse effects of increasing the windows pointer speed?

If the sensor on your current mouse is same as on Master then YES. 1600 will feel the same. So check the specs of the mice, if sensors match then try it on your current mouse and stop overcomplicating :)

Back in the day mouses had fixed DPI and there was no problem with it. I doubt windows sensitivity would make your mouse function worse.

Even if u wanted the mouse for professional work your worry is unneccessary. Some pros use shitty default apple mouses anyway (I know OS is different but point stays).

Just noticed u want it for gaming. In that case u have to adjust your in game sensitivity since not all games use same system, what I mean is your mouse sensitivity will feel different in 8/10 games. Might be because of the engine the game uses.

U will need to use higher in game sensitivity to get the same feel u had on higher DPI. So whether u like it or not u have to adjust your native DPI in both, windows and in game.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2hne2n/guide_overall_sensitivity_and_the_relation/

If u set your mind to it u can adapt to literally anything.

PS. When u get the Mouse don't give up in first few days, give it 6 days if your refund ends on 7days.

So I am considering buying a new mouse, and the Logitec MX Master looks like a great option because of the shape and horizontal scroll wheel.

logitech-mx-master.jpg

One thing that is concerning me though is the dpi...

On the website http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/mx-masterit says a max DPI of 1600

Is this enough for gaming?

Currently I use my Corsair M90 at 2400dpi, and occasionally switch between 2200 and 2600

Will 1600dpi on the MX master be the same as 1600dpi on my M90? I know I can always turn the windows mouse sensitivity up, but I would rather not...

Thanks!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So I am considering buying a new mouse, and the Logitec MX Master looks like a great option because of the shape and horizontal scroll wheel.

logitech-mx-master.jpg

One thing that is concerning me though is the dpi...

On the website http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/mx-masterit says a max DPI of 1600

Is this enough for gaming?

Currently I use my Corsair M90 at 2400dpi, and occasionally switch between 2200 and 2600

Will 1600dpi on the MX master be the same as 1600dpi on my M90? I know I can always turn the windows mouse sensitivity up, but I would rather not...

Thanks!

Ummm....

most professional gamers use about 400 DPI on their mouse. Lower = better in FPS gaming. 

I hate that people think that higher CPI/DPI = better because that's what marketing has shoved down their throats....

Anyways, the MX Master isn't in any way oriented for gaming so don't bother with that mouse if that's all you're going to do.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

To be honest, if you are using acceleration then it doesn't really matter. You can change the speed of the mouse in most OS's. However, if you are not using acceleration then yes dpi can be a major factor in a mouse.

They should be the same. If your not very nit picky about your dpi being the same for everything, It shouldnt affect you. I currently use 6/11 windows sensitivity with 800 dpi and I adjusted to it within days.

most professional gamers use about 400 DPI on their mouse. Lower = better in FPS gaming. 

The reason they use a lower DPI is because most mice sensors have worst tracking at higher DPI.

Ummm....

I hate that people think that higher CPI/DPI = better because that's what marketing has shoved down their throats....

Anyways, the MX Master isn't in any way oriented for gaming so don't bother with that mouse if that's all you're going to do.

Well I only game casually for a few hours a week, a lot of the time im we surfing, video or photo editing, or making music

I do use a 55" screen though so I guess I use higher DPI to compensate

To be honest, if you are using acceleration then it doesn't really matter. You can change the speed of the mouse in most OS's. However, if you are not using acceleration then yes dpi can be a major factor in a mouse.

windows acceleration is off but chrome has its own

They should be the same. If your not very nit picky about your dpi being the same for everything, It shouldnt affect you. I currently use 6/11 windows sensitivity with 800 dpi and I adjusted to it within days.

Does changing the pointer speed in windows have any adverse effects on accuracy or polling rate or anything?

And does it apply to all programs/games running in windows?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The reason they use a lower DPI is because most mice sensors have worst tracking at higher DPI.

Also they will fly around the screen at 2349081273489721390847239847129038712390847123908471238904 MPH.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Does changing the pointer speed in windows have any adverse effects on accuracy or polling rate or anything?

And does it apply to all programs/games running in windows?

If games give you the choice to use raw input then it would have no affect and it would input directly from the mice. But if it doesnt then pointer speed becomes a factor. As for polling rate I believe that depends on your mice.

If games give you the choice to use raw input then it would have no affect and it would input directly from the mice. But if it doesnt then pointer speed becomes a factor. As for polling rate I believe that depends on your mice.

Well this is mostly true windows 8.1 has some weird bugs with mouse movement. For example the logitech g602 I have had would have different response when I toggeled between 250hz and 500hz. 250hz being more sensitive. Windows 10 they have fixed this for the most part and windows 7 this doesn't exist.

windows acceleration is off but chrome has its own

Care to explain what you mean by this?

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

Care to explain what you mean by this?

nvm I checked and windows acceleration is on

I mean that chrome has mouse acceleration built into it

even if you turn windows mouse acceleration off (called "enhance pointer precision) it remains on in chrome until you disable it with a dev tool

Spoiler

nvm I checked and windows acceleration is on

I mean that chrome has mouse acceleration built into it

even if you turn windows mouse acceleration off (called "enhance pointer precision) it remains on in chrome until you disable it with a dev tool

Interesting, never heard that before. I don't see how that could be the case, but thanks for letting me know.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

G602 would be a better Option if it really has to be wireless, MX Master only makes sense if you are using some "exotic" Surface.

I'm not buying it because its wireless, im buying it because it has a comfortable shape and a horizontal scroll wheel :)

I would prefer if it was not wireless, but a few extra ms of delay is not going to affect my experience in the non-fps games that I play

Spoiler

If you can substitute a tilting wheel for the horizontal Scroll, you could take a look at the XTD Optical and G502.

I would rather not have a tilting wheel since it makes the scroll wheel feel wobbly, not great for precise scrolling of the hotbar

So I think I will try out the mx master and see how it does in light gaming

If the pointer speed is too slow even with windows maxed then I can always return it for something else :)

Spoiler

For 1080p i find 1600dpi perfect.

I always used low sensitivity since very early on so im fine.

If u are used to high sensitivity then u just adjust ingame/windiws sensitivity and u are okay.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I know I can always turn the windows mouse sensitivity up, but I would rather not...

Why not?

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

Why not?

I'm not sure, it feels like it will be less accurate since it would be taking the mouse sensitivity and just multiplying it by two...instead of it being native DPI

Do you know if there are any adverse effects of increasing the windows pointer speed?

Spoiler

If the sensor on your current mouse is same as on Master then YES. 1600 will feel the same. So check the specs of the mice, if sensors match then try it on your current mouse and stop overcomplicating :)

Back in the day mouses had fixed DPI and there was no problem with it. I doubt windows sensitivity would make your mouse function worse.

Even if u wanted the mouse for professional work your worry is unneccessary. Some pros use shitty default apple mouses anyway (I know OS is different but point stays).

Just noticed u want it for gaming. In that case u have to adjust your in game sensitivity since not all games use same system, what I mean is your mouse sensitivity will feel different in 8/10 games. Might be because of the engine the game uses.

U will need to use higher in game sensitivity to get the same feel u had on higher DPI. So whether u like it or not u have to adjust your native DPI in both, windows and in game.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2hne2n/guide_overall_sensitivity_and_the_relation/

PS. When u get the Mouse don't give up in first few days, give it 6 days if your refund ends on 7days.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Thanks!

Spoiler