IBM Model M or CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i?

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by Munalos,

Hey guys!

So I want a new keyboard. Currently I am using the CM Storm Devastator membrane keyboard, which is a $30 keyboard/mouse combo. It's not that bad, but it's not mechanical, or buckling springs in this case. Which should I get?

IBM Model M-

-I'll find a nice one on eBay.

-I'll bolt mod it. http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Modifications:IBM_Model_M:Nut_and_Bolt_Mod What happens is the keyboard comes with plastic rivets that really ruin the durability (especially with age), and this mod replaces those with plastic rivets with steel (stainless steel if I do it/get the keyboard) bolts/screws.

-I'll give it a nice clean/restore it in general.

-or-

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i-

-Cherry MX Blue variant.

-I like the compact nature of this keyboard, and the LED control. Even though the backlight is white and my current setup uses a red theme, I still like it and it will suit my next build, which is an extremely compact (Silverstone SG13 or RVZ02) powerful gaming PC.

-The only thing is that it's not an IBM Model M, and not that rare in general. The upside is more people (who are not PC oriented) would know what the heck this thing is unlike the Model M.

-or-

Let me know what else I should consider.

Thanks in advance!

Get the model m.. Clean it, take out the key caps, paint them or the keyboard, make it yours. That keyboard is beautiful, and has always been unique. 

Hey guys!

So I want a new keyboard. Currently I am using the CM Storm Devastator membrane keyboard, which is a $30 keyboard/mouse combo. It's not that bad, but it's not mechanical, or buckling springs in this case. Which should I get?

IBM Model M-

-I'll bolt mod it. http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Modifications:IBM_Model_M:Nut_and_Bolt_Mod What happens is the keyboard comes with plastic rivets that really ruin the durability (especially with age), and this mod replaces those with plastic rivets with steel (stainless steel if I do it/get the keyboard) bolts/screws.

-or-

-Cherry MX Blue variant.

-I like the compact nature of this keyboard, and the LED control. Even though the backlight is white and my current setup uses a red theme, I still like it and it will suit my next build, which is an extremely compact (Silverstone SG13 or RVZ02) powerful gaming PC.

-The only thing is that it's not an IBM Model M, and not that rare in general. The upside is more people (who are not PC oriented) would know what the heck this thing is unlike the Model M.

-or-

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

IBM Model M-

-or-

-Cherry MX Blue variant.

-or-

Thanks in advance!

Model M for 30 bucks on Ebay and give it a good cleaning!

I own a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid and it is very solid, but the Model M is pretty great so....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Model M for 30 bucks on Ebay and give it a good cleaning!

I own a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid and it is very solid, but the Model M is pretty great so....

Well I definitely won't buy a $30 Model M on eBay. There is a great video explaining the variations in this keyboard, and one of the disadvantages to say a $30 Model M is probably the connector, which is most likely going to be a 5 pin connector, or RJ-45. These are both pains in the neck, as PS/2 would be the way to go if one were buying this keyboard. I will end up (if I do actually buy one) buying a Model M that is around $80-$120. This is just to ensure I get what I want. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-8GdSJTX8

Also, what switches does your Rapid have?

Hey guys!

IBM Model M-

-or-

-Cherry MX Blue variant.

-or-

Thanks in advance!

Get the model m.. Clean it, take out the key caps, paint them or the keyboard, make it yours. That keyboard is beautiful, and has always been unique. 

That really sounds like a plan. I really like the Model M, but I wanted an opinion on other keyboards. Thanks!

That really sounds like a plan. I really like the Model M, but I wanted an opinion on other keyboards. Thanks!

The only problem is the 2 key rollover it has (other than shift, control alt delete, ect zones)

You could do a USB controler mod later on if you want.

Im all for old keyboards though, my keyboard i use and am typing this on is a nice Apple Adjustable keyboard.

Also, the model M uses an odd conector, you would need to figure out how to conect it to your computer (adapter if they make it, or mod the controler)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well clearly reasons to go with a keyboard other than the model M would be:

• A super (windows) key. Although you can rebind the caps lock key to super, this is a bit of a hassle some may not be willing to take. If you are running some setup that does not really require the super key, this is a moot point.
  • Space. The Model M is really a bit bulky compared to other keyboards. If you don't really have the desk space, maybe not the best idea.
  • Noise. Maybe someone may want to murder you if you have a Model M in say an office?
  • Media control. Not necessary, but nice to have.

If none of these points are of concern to you, then sure: Clack away! I sure as hell would like to get in on that Model M sweetness. If only I could into ebay.

Well clearly reasons to go with a keyboard other than the model M would be:

• A super (windows) key. Although you can rebind the caps lock key to super, this is a bit of a hassle some may not be willing to take. If you are running some setup that does not really require the super key, this is a moot point.
  • Space. The Model M is really a bit bulky compared to other keyboards. If you don't really have the desk space, maybe not the best idea.
  • Noise. Maybe someone may want to murder you if you have a Model M in say an office?
  • Media control. Not necessary, but nice to have.

If none of these points are of concern to you, then sure: Clack away! I sure as hell would like to get in on that Model M sweetness. If only I could into ebay.

That curved keyboard feels tho. Makes me want to get one aswell, my keyboard is loud as it is. I might get on this bandwagon too. :D

That curved keyboard feels tho. Makes me want to get one aswell, my keyboard is loud as it is. I might get on this bandwagon too. :D

I just want more click and clack. MX Blues are nice and all, but they could be louder.

I just want more click and clack. MX Blues are nice and all, but they could be louder.

I personally use a corsair k70 mx red, it is pretty loud. You need this tho, http://www.clickykeyboard.com/2007/steampunk.jpg let's just take a moment and go back into the typewriter days. The good ol' days.

(that is a modded model m btw)